Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Churchill Downs

When the Sway Away folks start complaining about not drawing in, tell them to get their horse better fit to improve on 6th in the Rebel and 4th in the Arkansas Derby.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Randwyck

hes moving in the right direction.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
When the Sway Away folks start complaining about not drawing in, tell them to get their horse better fit to improve on 6th in the Rebel and 4th in the Arkansas Derby.
They won't complain about not drawing in, not in the least, but this horse had a monumental excuse in the Rebel and an amazing 6wide,8wide trip in the Arkansas Derby, still staying on for fourth despite one of the worst PVal rides in a big race.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
The Curragh

Repole is cooking up a conspiracy for one less horse to finish in front of stay thirsty, you heard it here first folks

-bt-
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM
The Curragh

Maybe he will draw the one and then they can just scratch today.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

So let's see if I have this right:

He's going to enter but may scratch (which screws the owners of the #21 horse).

He's may scratch but could wait until after the betting starts (which can screw some fans who bet him in pools and don't have a chance to change their wagers).

If he does enter and run, he's going to wager enough on him to ensure that he's the favorite (which screws the fans that stuck with his horse after his last and were hoping to get a really good price on him this time).

Yep, sounds like a great, classy guy to me.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
They won't complain about not drawing in, not in the least, but this horse had a monumental excuse in the Rebel and an amazing 6wide,8wide trip in the Arkansas Derby, still staying on for fourth despite one of the worst PVal rides in a big race.
I wasn't necessarily talking about the folks in the barn, by what little I know it's a fine group, but invariably somebody who likes the "bubble" horse gets all upset. The rules are clear on how to get in.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Randwyck

The Repole show is getting old. If the horse isn't 100% scratch him and move on.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier View Post
The Repole show is getting old. If the horse isn't 100% scratch him and move on.
It's just beginning....But i heard he is "good for the sport."
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
I wasn't necessarily talking about the folks in the barn, by what little I know it's a fine group, but invariably somebody who likes the "bubble" horse gets all upset. The rules are clear on how to get in.
Most of the folks on the bubble are willing to accept it if they don't get in. In fact Sway Away was well down the list until Toby's Corner, Anthony's Cross etc. didn't go. That said, Repole is "toying" with entering and since he has the $$$ he's going to enter and then take a wait and see approach.

Motion could have "entered" Toby knowing he wasn't right so that his other colt would have one less rival.

If Mo isn't right come entry time, how much more right will he be in 72 hours?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
Most of the folks on the bubble are willing to accept it if they don't get in. In fact Sway Away was well down the list until Toby's Corner, Anthony's Cross etc. didn't go. That said, Repole is "toying" with entering and since he has the $$$ he's going to enter and then take a wait and see approach.

Motion could have "entered" Toby knowing he wasn't right so that his other colt would have one less rival.

If Mo isn't right come entry time, how much more right will he be in 72 hours?
He's entered. Now hopefully their intentions are to run and not more sideshow drama.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Saratoga

Why should Repole's decision take into account who is sitting at #21 under any circumstance unless he owns that horse? If that were a real issue Churchill could have an AE list and let horses get in on the day of the Derby.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
Most of the folks on the bubble are willing to accept it if they don't get in.

Only if he was on Churchill grounds by Tuesday (I believe that's the rule for Derby horses). The one thing I will say in defense of Sway Away, is that if you're on the outside looking in and want to run, it's smart to get to Churchill early, get settled, etc.. so you don't have minor setbacks or uncertainty about your chances getting in that can affect your travel plans (Anthony's Cross, Toby's Corner and to an extent, Mr. Commons).
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

After all of this back and forth , the worst thing to happen would be Uncle Mo turning in a Life At Ten performance
Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
Repole is cooking up a conspiracy for one less horse to finish in front of stay thirsty, you heard it here first folks

-bt-
Actually, it's all about scoring more box seats.

Quote:
Regardless if Uncle Mo starts, Repole and Pletcher also have Gotham Stakes (G3) winner Stay Thirsty, and some speculated outside Pletcher’s barn on Wednesday that Repole only entered Uncle Mo to secure more box seats to America’s most prestigious race.

Repole has rented an infield suite for what many have called his “race day entourage,” and he has acquired the maximum of six track-view boxes (three for each horse) for the race. The connections of each Derby horse receive one complimentary box with the opportunity to purchase an additional two boxes
Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
Actually, it's all about scoring more box seats.

VITAMIN WATER BITCHES
Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Why should Repole's decision take into account who is sitting at #21 under any circumstance unless he owns that horse? If that were a real issue Churchill could have an AE list and let horses get in on the day of the Derby.
No one can get in after the betting opens anyhow.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Woodbine

Okay, so if Uncle Mo does run, does this reassure the bettors because "he wouldn't run unless he's 100%," causing more people to bet on him and thereby costing Repole less to make him the favorite; or, does this scare away the bettors because the owner is even thinking of scratching him at this late date, causing less people to bet on him and thereby costing Repole more to make him the favorite?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM

What am I missing with the "Repole going to make Uncly" the favorite talk? Like what's the point of him doing that?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
What am I missing with the "Repole going to make Uncly" the favorite talk? Like what's the point of him doing that?
That's what he says he's going to do. Bet enough on him to make him the favorite. Screw me and my hopes of getting 6/1 or 7/1 on him because so many jumped off the bandwagon after the Wood. Repole is basically telling me "Thank you for sticking with my horse. To show my appreciation, I'm going to cut his win price in half so instead of $14, maybe you'll get $7." To me, that's the biggest issue in all of this. You asked what is the point? It's to feed his massive ego.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine