Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Are you sure about this, Riot? Supposedly Breitbart agrees with your diagnosis.
Let's see ... my opinion has already been judged by Blackthroatedwind, DaHoss, Coach Pants, FreddyMo, Steve ... we still need to hear from the rest of the Derby Trail regulars, who can properly put me in my place for not buying the "smart" conspiracy theories.

Rest of you guys? C'mon, time to pile on!

Genuine Risk, good thing you started this thread, and asked about cholangiohepatitis in Uncle Mo <g>
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Jerome Park

do you believe the conspiracy theory that Uncle Mo had bone chips removed?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
You could call Dr. Byars and question him directly about his medical treatment decisions.

I would speculate, based upon the usual treatment of equine cholangiohepatitis secondary to gastrointestinal infection, that:

Was on antibiotics. Done and finished.

You are mistaken. Trental is not an antibiotic. Why should a horse be on pentoxifylline for arterial vascular concerns when he's been getting regular hyperbaric oxygen treatments?

While Vitamin E is a potent anti-inflammatory and useful in animals with gall bladders that release bile acids in response to big meals involving fat with a bolus release of bile acids, horses physiology is different (no gall bladder), and all fats will be restricted to some extent to help prevent future inflammation of the bile ducts.

JMHO.
I'm sorry. I'm not a vet. I thought Trental was an antibiotic. I was just looking at my vet bills from a horse that had the same condition as Uncle Mo. She was attended to by Dr. Nathan Slovis, who I believe was a protege of Dr. Byers. My horse was on this course of treament for many many months. I have a hard time believing Uncle Mo would be all better after a few hyperbaric treamnebts and a few doses of antibiotics.

My non-vet opionion, based on having a very good horse of my own go through the same thing, is that Uncle Mo has absolutely no shot of ever making the races again. If he does, he didn't have Cholangiohepatitus treated with meds for only a few weeks.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Let's see ... my opinion has already been judged by Blackthroatedwind, DaHoss, Coach Pants, FreddyMo, Steve ... we still need to hear from the rest of the Derby Trail regulars, who can properly put me in my place for not buying the "smart" conspiracy theories.

Rest of you guys? C'mon, time to pile on!

Genuine Risk, good thing you started this thread, and asked about cholangiohepatitis in Uncle Mo <g>
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawhip View Post
I'm sorry. I'm not a vet. I thought Trental was an antibiotic. I was just looking at my vet bills from a horse that had the same condition as Uncle Mo. She was attended to by Dr. Nathan Slovis, who I believe was a protege of Dr. Byers. My horse was on this course of treament for many many months. I have a hard time believing Uncle Mo would be all better after a few hyperbaric treamnebts and a few doses of antibiotics.

My non-vet opionion, based on having a very good horse of my own go through the same thing, is that Uncle Mo has absolutely no shot of ever making the races again. If he does, he didn't have Cholangiohepatitus treated with meds for only a few weeks.
Dr. Slovis is is a wonderful guy and an outstanding doctor. There are different degrees of cholangiohepatitis - that is just a word describing what is inflammed - and many different causes.

Because one horse isn't treated exactly like another horse is no reason to doubt the diagnosis. Your horse may have had a sterile inflammation that was treated symptomatically and responded well after months. There may also have been a degree of liver loss via fibrosis. Uncle Mo had infection. If your horse didn't get antibiotics, there wasn't an (antibiotic-responsive) infectious cause. Was a definitive cause ever established in your horse?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
do you believe the conspiracy theory that Uncle Mo had bone chips removed?
I don't think about it I remember seeing the pictures of the small shaved area.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I knew a chick like that who used to work at TCBY...ate too much of the product or just generally unhappy, I could never tell.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Dr. Slovis is is a wonderful guy and an outstanding doctor. There are different degrees of cholangiohepatitis - that is just a word describing what is inflammed - and many different causes.

Because one horse isn't treated exactly like another horse is no reason to doubt the diagnosis. Your horse may have had a sterile inflammation that was treated symptomatically and responded well after months. Uncle Mo had infection. If your horse didn't get antibiotics, there wasn't an (antibiotic-responsive) infectious cause. Was a definitive cause ever established in your horse?
She did get antibiotics and no cause was ever established as I imagine its almost impossible to find one.

I find it very strange that you can make these definitive statements about Mo's condition unless you yourself is the one treating the horse.

You do seem like someone who does not lack in confidence.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
She did get antibiotics and no cause was ever established as I imagine its almost impossible to find one.
Was she ever able to get back in work with you?

Quote:
I find it very strange that you can make these definitive statements about Mo's condition unless you yourself is the one treating the horse.

You do seem like someone who does not lack in confidence.
My opinions from a professional medical point of view, is that the public statements are entirely consistent with the normal and usual medical courses of diagnosis and treatment for both horses regarding the diseases they've stated. There is nothing "fishy" or inconsistent in the least about any of the claims or treatments made.

Mine is obviously not a popular opinion.

And no, I do not lack in confidence regarding my knowledge of the diagnosis, treatment and outcomes of these diseases. I do it professionally all day long. You have your opinion based upon your personal experience with your mare, I have mine based upon my personal professional experience and knowledge of the veterinarians involved.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Coach Pants

Mo obviously needs a colon cleanse and 3-day fast. Then add some chlorella and spirulina to his feed.

This will work because I read a lot on alternative medicine websites.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
And no, I do not lack in confidence regarding my knowledge of the diagnosis, treatment and outcomes of these diseases. I do it professionally all day long.

Where are you currently employed?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Was she ever able to get back in work with you?

My opinions from a professional medical point of view, is that the public statements are entirely consistent with the normal and usual medical courses of diagnosis and treatment for both horses regarding the diseases they've stated. There is nothing "fishy" or inconsistent in the least about any of the claims or treatments made.

Mine is obviously not a popular opinion.

And no, I do not lack in confidence regarding my knowledge of the diagnosis, treatment and outcomes of these diseases. I do it professionally all day long. You have your opinion based upon your personal experience with your mare, I have mine based upon my personal professional experience and knowledge of the veterinarians involved.
Of course there is something fishy with the statements they made. If you believe for one second Uncle Mo is not on any medications, then you should have your veterninary licence revoked immediately.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Of course there is something fishy with the statements they made. If you believe for one second Uncle Mo is not on any medications, then you should have your veterninary licence revoked immediately.
Of course, you know best that Dr. Byars is lying publicly.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Where are you currently employed?
Not as a public handicapper for NYRA.

Sorry, Andy. No apology to the DeeTee regulars for daring to not subscribe to the predominant conspiracy theories about Uncle Mo and Pletcher. Nor for using my professional knowledge and experience as a veterinarian to influence my thinking or assessment, nor for saying my opinion publicly on Derby Trail.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Of course, you know best that Dr. Byars is lying publicly.

He said Uncle Mo is not on medications. So did Elliot Walden. They both lied or should I say didn't tell the truth. Why, I have no idea. But if they would lie about that then we can't really believe a word they say about anything related the condition of poor Uncle Mo. Can we??
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Not as a public handicapper for NYRA.

Sorry, Andy. No apology to the DeeTee regulars for daring to not subscribe to the predominant conspiracy theories about Uncle Mo and Pletcher. Nor for using my professional knowledge and experience as a veterinarian to influence my thinking or assessment, nor for saying my opinion publicly on Derby Trail.
That's quite a dodge.

I asked a simple question. I will try again....where are you working? Since you said you make these kinds of diagnoses daily, this is a fair question. What thoroughbreds are you currently diagnosing daily?

I have no conspiracy theories on this subject and have stated none here. I do find your arrogant know-it-all attitude amusing. But, that doesn't mean I have some theory on Uncle Mo. I don't, nor have I given one, or even hinted at it.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
That's quite a dodge.

I asked a simple question. I will try again....where are you working? Since you said you make these kinds of diagnoses daily, this is a fair question. What thoroughbreds are you currently diagnosing daily?

I have no conspiracy theories on this subject and have stated none here. I do find your arrogant know-it-all attitude amusing. But, that doesn't mean I have some theory on Uncle Mo. I don't, nor have I given one, or even hinted at it.

She works for Mike Repole.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

Hold on...you had a very good horse in this century..Someone call Joe Drape!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
That's quite a dodge.
It's not a dodge. Your request to put my CV on an internet list is laughable and absurd.

Quote:
I do find your arrogant know-it-all attitude amusing.
Good for you! I find your arrogance quite amusing, too Thus we are both "amused"
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
It's not a dodge. Your request to put my CV on an internet list is laughable and absurd.

Good for you! I find your arrogance quite amusing, too Thus we are both "amused"
I think everyone here just got the answer.