Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
when people are lead out in handcuffs for horse abuse and spend hard time in jail like Michael Vick this game will know time is up...the abusers and those that allow the abuse are on borrowed time. those committing fraud on the buying and betting public as well...so i advise anyone to do the right thing. God is always watching and the "world" will be watching Saturday. Shame on the abusers. Shame on those that condone it.
Oh my goodness.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
when people are lead out in handcuffs for horse abuse and spend hard time in jail like Michael Vick this game will know time is up...the abusers and those that allow the abuse are on borrowed time. those committing fraud on the buying and betting public as well...so i advise anyone to do the right thing. God is always watching and the "world" will be watching Saturday. Shame on the abusers. Shame on those that condone it.
well, that's all well and good, but what has any of that to do with eight belles?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
If God is watching, I wonder who he likes to fill out the super.
In my heart He has a fav. But the Devil is in control of this game and it must be wrested away from his followers. There are great people in this game , that together, can do this. The sport will be so much better off for it. Real opportunity for all exists in a clean game.

g nite
Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Coach Pants

pass the collection plate, sir.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Anyone else growing tired of being preached to?
I agree Hoss. Every thread, no matter the topic, ends with some ridiculous holier than though poly or drug rant. Its tiresome at best and borders on insanity.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings
I agree Hoss. Every thread, no matter the topic, ends with some ridiculous holier than though poly or drug rant. Its tiresome at best and borders on insanity.
It's getting crazier and crazier by the post too.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Anyone else growing tired of being preached to?
yeah, but i'm guilt free sleeping in on sundays.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Flemington

Personally I think that this a terrible idea. Racing only makes it on to national TV a handful of times a year. Now on one of these days you are going to have a panel discussion on everything wrong and bad in the sport. They should be showing live races and promoting the game, the races, horses and people involved to the audience and any new possible fan base that is watching. Try to sell the sport and get people to the track, instead of scaring them away with talk of breakdowns, drugs and synthetic surfaces. I have nothing against a forum of things that need to be fixed in the game(there are real issues), but I do not think that this is the time or the place for it.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Aqueduct

The Eight Belles breakdown was horrible and NBC should spend a few moments addressing the issue. Even though breakdowns happen in racing and it is a part of racing finding the definitive answer to why they occur is impossible. They could blame the dirt surface but breakdowns happen on grass too. Look back at the last few Opening Day 1st races at the Spa.

Hopefully Dr. Bramledge and Larry Jones will articulate a sensible response to William Rhoden's uneducated rant about how horrible horse racing is.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
In my heart He has a fav. But the Devil is in control of this game and it must be wrested away from his followers. There are great people in this game , that together, can do this. The sport will be so much better off for it. Real opportunity for all exists in a clean game.

g nite
I would think that everyone on here wants a clean game, but what does that have to do with Eight Belles?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4
The Eight Belles breakdown was horrible and NBC should spend a few moments addressing the issue. Even though breakdowns happen in racing and it is a part of racing finding the definitive answer to why they occur is impossible. They could blame the dirt surface but breakdowns happen on grass too. Look back at the last few Opening Day 1st races at the Spa.

Hopefully Dr. Bramledge and Larry Jones will articulate a sensible response to William Rhoden's uneducated rant about how horrible horse racing is.
perhaps they could take a moment to remind everyone that his race has been run every year since it's inception in 1875 (133 runnings) with only one fatality ever in the field, eight belles.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
perhaps they could take a moment to remind everyone that his race has been run every year since it's inception in 1875 (133 runnings) with only one fatality ever in the field, eight belles.
But isn't that sort of the point? Horses are getting more fragile, drugs are corrupting the sport, etc. . .
Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Oaklawn

Why is William Rhoden's uninformed opinion part of this panel anyway? Just because he wrote a column?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
If God is watching, I wonder who he likes to fill out the super.
I think God plays pick 6's more..
Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Del Mar

Racing is broken and it needs to be fixed. As of right now, racing is dying a slow death. Tracks are closing down all over the country. Hollywood Park may be next. There are serious problems in racing and they need to be addressed.

The bettors and the fans are well aware of the problems. The problems are not going to go away until they are fixed. You can't just sweep them under the rug.

You guys have the whole thing backwards. You guys seem to think that if they just shut up about Eight Belles, then everything will be fine. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's just the opposite. If we just shut up and don't make any changes, we will continue to see Eight Belles type incidents and racing will continue to go downhill.

Instead we should seize the moment, and use the Eight Belles incident as a wake-up call to finally start making some of the changes that need to be made.

Having discussions on television is a huge positive, not a negative.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
Racing is broken and it needs to be fixed. As of right now, racing is dying a slow death. Tracks are closing down all over the country. Hollywood Park may be next. There are serious problems in racing and they need to be addressed.

The bettors and the fans are well aware of the problems. The problems are not going to go away until they are fixed. You can't just sweep them under the rug.

You guys have the whole thing backwards. You guys seem to think that if they just shut up about Eight Belles, then everything will be fine. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's just the opposite. If we just shut up and don't make any changes, we will continue to see Eight Belles type incidents and racing will continue to go downhill.

Instead we should seize the moment, and use the Eight Belles incident as a wake-up call to finally start making some of the changes that need to be made.

Having discussions on television is a huge positive, not a negative.

You're missing the point, IMO. It's WHO is speaking, not that the discussions are going on. I can't speak for everyone else, but I welcome open discusions about horse racing, its issues and what can be done to make improvements. But when uninformed people get a forum to voice an opinion, it does no good.
NBC should have chosen someone more aware of horse racing issues for this panel than Mr. Rhoden. Who's going to take him seriously?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
You're missing the point, IMO. It's WHO is speaking, not that the discussions are going on. I can't speak for everyone else, but I welcome open discusions about horse racing, its issues and what can be done to make improvements. But when uninformed people get a forum to voice an opinion, it does no good.
NBC should have chosen someone more aware of horse racing issues for this panel than Mr. Rhoden. Who's going to take him seriously?
Exactly, informed discussion is one thing. Ranting without any knowledge of the subject doesn't do an ounce of good.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i just don't understand why eight belles has now become the poster child for horse racing abuse. what about horses in barns with a trainer who cuts the leg off a dead horse? now maybe that guy should be investigated! if there are abuses, you find the ones doing so. if there are problems, fix them. but peta isn't interested in making the sport better, they're interested in not having the sport at all.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Who are you guys? And who is advocating just shutting up and forgetting? I haven't seen anyone here take the stance to just forget it. Almost across the board people here and other boards that I have seen are in agreement that things need to be done.

What I have seen is backlash to knee jerk reactions and a resentment of media types that speak negatively about the sport, yet have no idea about what they are talking about. I agree the discussion is positive and horse racing is being well represented. I'm just not sure if the right time is before the Preakness although I understand why they are doing it then.
The headline of this thread is "This Has Trouble Written All Over It". How could a discussion that involves Dr. Larry Bramlage, Larry Jones, Gary Stevens, and William Rhoden have trouble written all over it? I think it would be much more troubling if they didn't talk about Eight Belles or if they just briefly mentioned the incident. It's much better for them to spend plenty of time on the subject and talk about some of the things that can be done to lessen the chances of something like this happening again. I don't know anything about William Rhoden, but I certainly think that Bramlage, Jones, and Stevens are qualified to give their opinions.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
But isn't that sort of the point? Horses are getting more fragile, drugs are corrupting the sport, etc. . .
by the same token, vet care and testing is much better. you can always revisit the old days, and see it wasn't the 'good' old days. horses used to run hopped up on cocaine. a fracture back then was found when the horse broke down-no scans like what they've got today.

thing is, we bitch and moan about lack of racing over the span of a horses career, and them retiring at three before they get good. but go back and scan the old, really good horses' records. man o war ran 21 times, , but retired at three-just like secretariat and count fleet, who was sandwiched between the two eras. seattle slew, 17 races over three years-altho i can't imagine another tc winner running at four. it took four years for war admiral to rack up 26 starts, the most he ran in one year was 11-8 as a three year old, which is comparable to some of todays horses. assault averaged seven races per year....