Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2006, 07:27 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
for those of you that listen to ATRAB--am I the only one who felt it was TOTALLY innappropriate for JJ to speculate that Barbaro has already been put down?!? I could not believe he said that--

E-mail the guy with your opinion? jj@attheracesandbeyond.com

Should be an interesting press conference for that guy JJ tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Everyone say prayers for Barbaro. We have a mare that is now back working after a year ago having laminitis. It was a long road for her. Nothing to eat but hay. Not even carrots or apples. A year later she is now jumping again. Not anything big, but she is back to her old self.

So everyone say your prayers and think good thoughts!
Wow, thats great about your horse, my mare recovered from a horendous laminitis bout, but she will never be the same, and is essentially my much loved, and appreciated pet. I will never ride her again for fear of causing a relapse, I have plenty others to ride, I'm just thankful she's still here with me and greeting me every morning!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:59 PM
pgardn

Just like press in other areas. First to the story. First to get it right. Seems people take this to mean a good source. So people conjecture based on heard this, heard that. Or try to ascertain the Vets comments and delivery and take it a step further.

If any horse has a good chance its this one. He could not possibly get any better care. And we can rest assurred he will be comfortable if he is on a downhill slide. At least he does not have to go through the pain a lot of other horses are experiencing as I type.

Hell my wife even started with the not enough pressure on the other hoof, and she does not even keep up with racehorses...
Old 07-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoaracing
I understand I dont know JJ Graci personally but have spoke with him several times 15 years ago, He was a subpar trainer then and thats prolly why he is doing radio now , Who knows but if he indeed did say the horse was already put down or would be put down well thats just wrong for him to say . Im sure he knows all the people connected to the horse as they are all from where im from originally in bucks county pennsylvania and the surrounding philadelphia area. In any event it's not his place to report that info .
Tao-Don't you think you should personally listen to his comments in the archives before drawing a conclusion and making it a personal attack? I need to listen to the whole discussion myself before I pass any judgement on what he said. I too am bothered by those comments if they were said the way it is being portrayed on this thread. I am going to withhold my judgement until I hear it myself. If anybody knows the approximate time this was being dicussed on the show please post it so I can go back and listen myself. I respect your right to your opinion but you shouldn't allow yourself to make it so personal. It takes away from the issue at hand which is Barbaro. I want to say thanks for your earlier thread of updated information about Barbaro. That was much appreciated and any other info you have concerning Barbaro would be too. I don't want to see this thread turn into an attack on somebody, especialy in lite of Barbaro's present conditon. Lets keep this thread going about Barbaro.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Jerome Park

I certainly agree with the previous poster who said it would be fair to listen to exactly what was said before commenting on it. I am neither defending or condeming JJ for what he MAY have said, and certainly anyone that actually listened to it is just as entitled to their opinions as JJ is. But that's kind of the problem isn't it....we can share opinions but JJ can't? Come on, some of you are smarter and fairer than that.

As for the poster who didn't listen to JJ but felt compelled to slam him professionally...well, let's remember that this is a poster who claims to be a track announcer yet freely slammed the most widely respected announcer in America on this site. Maybe it's just me but I would call this envy.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Saratoga

Black, who is supposedly a track announcer?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Jerome Park

Taoaracing claims that I believe.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 PM
taoaracing

First Off , Black , Why do you alway's feel compelled to bring the fact that I am an announcer into every thread I post on , Seems to me thats envy. I do not have to explain my position . I made a comment about 1 call Durkin made and now he is the most respected announcer in america (please form an intelligent opinion and then comment) . I dont know what your deal is but , I made an opinion about JJ Graci , he certainly can come on this board and explain what he said and why he said it right since his main man runs this board.

All's I know is I made comments on this thread and you instead of dealing with the topic decide to attack my credibility once again . If you bothered to read any posts Ive made in the last 2 days you would see what I mean. But keep on attacking my occupation and trying to rack your brain as to whom I am . Either way You can only attack people you have no idea how to form an opinion (typical message board dribble is all you can contribute)
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
First Off , Black , Why do you alway's feel compelled to bring the fact that I am an announcer into every thread I post on , Seems to me thats envy. I do not have to explain my position . I made a comment about 1 call Durkin made and now he is the most respected announcer in america (please form an intelligent opinion and then comment) . I dont know what your deal is but , I made an opinion about JJ Graci , he certainly can come on this board and explain what he said and why he said it right since his main man runs this board.

All's I know is I made comments on this thread and you instead of dealing with the topic decide to attack my credibility once again . If you bothered to read any posts Ive made in the last 2 days you would see what I mean. But keep on attacking my occupation and trying to rack your brain as to whom I am . Either way You can only attack people you have no idea how to form an opinion (typical message board dribble is all you can contribute)
Ok, you peaked my interest now. I appreciate the updates you posted...
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Please, feel free to dig up just ONE post outside of this thread where I have " brought up " you're being an announcer. I don't recall having had one exchange with you.

I'm confused, doesn't Durkin call the TC races and the BC races?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 PM
taoaracing

Oh and as far as listening to JJ , I dont have to listen to him, I listened to him 20 years ago , Im sure he sounds the same and brings the same boring commentary to whatever show he is on. He brings nothing original to the table thats for sure. Just keep on attacking me tho its fun. Again see Ive formed Opinions I state why I dont like it or something, Then I comment on it . That is conversation pro and con not all happy happy joy joy. Im sure Mr Graci (jj) does fine things for racing and the show . Just not in MY OPINION is it worth 2-4 hours of my time to it. or 1 minute of a 4 hour show to find what exactly he said . It was stated what he said in this thread and thats what I commented on.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:59 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
In all fairness, JJ Graci makes his living giving his opinions, and anyone who listens to the show knows he is as straight a shooter as they come. I'll be honest, as each day of this week goes by, I am begininning to fear the worst, while holding on to hope that Barbaro will somehow pull through. I'm sure JJ wants nothing but the best for the horse, or any horse for that matter, as he has made his life in the business. I just think he was being honest, and probably saying what some are thinking, it may not be what people want to hear, but are mouths don't have a filter. To attack JJ professionally, that goes a bit beyond, especially when you don't want people doing it to you.
The guy is an idiot, but he has ever right to voice his opinion. It just shows little class, but it isn't like he is making up a story about an injury and potentially costing some owner money.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Washington Park

Default Dave

When guys consistently have live on air time to fill, I give them some slack.

If you have to talk spontaneously, eventually something is gonna come out you might have wished you had said differently.....after the fact.

I didn't hear any of the comments he made, but given the news of the last 72 hours I certainly understand the on-air speculation.

I've speculated the same in my thoughts, before I read these comments this evening.

Anyone recall seeing the movie "Dave?" Where the President falls ill, and the government employs an impersonator to take his place?

At this point, I'd almost want to be lied to and told that Barbaro will be just fine......

but, that's just me on this one.

Last edited by westcoastinvader : 07-12-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
taoaracing

JJ is on a national stage , He is open for attack's . I am not attacking him personally Im attacking his opinion as being not for him to be commenting on as far as life or death for the horse. If they put the horse down I would rather hear it from U.penn or the Doctor not JJ GRACI the day before. Like I said before he probably has done good for racing and the show . Straight shooter portrayed maybe. Lets all remember where his training day's where . Like I say I know alot about this situation as well and I have not said anything except what I originally posted which anyone can find on the web if they know where to look . Anyways this thread has gotten out of control , I defend my OPINION and thats that.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Morris Park

More updates from Tim Wolley (at least it's someone we KNOW is talking to people who've seen the horse themselves):

Update 214: Just spoke with Kathy Anderson. She visited Bobby at about 4 pm. She wanted to let me know that despite all the medical information that we are learning, Barbaro is comfortable. He appeared bright and she was encouraged. She gave Bobby about a half hour of good scratching, and when a nursing assistant was russling a plastic bag he misinterpretted this activity as dinner time; he was alert and looking for food. She called me as she really wanted to make sure everyone knew that despite all, he remains reasonably comfortable.

Update 213: Good Morning America is doing a piece on Bobby tomorrow morning. Jeannine Edwards let me know as we were discussing tomorrow's press conference. (ABC owns ESPN or something like that). Jeannine left a comment clarifying ESPNs coverage of the press conference tomorrow and the reason for such a press conference:

Just to clarify for everyone, SportsCenter always sends a producer with the reporter when they cover any story. It's always a tag-team situation. But normally someone would not fly in from TX, normally a regional person would make the trip from NY or DC. Perhaps no one in the area was available. ESPN takes the Barbaro situation very seriously and wants to cover it accurately and completely. We have no idea what will be discussed at tomorrow's presser, but we have to be prepared for what could potentially be a worst-case scenario. New Bolton is being beseiged with phone calls right now, and rather than try to deal with each news org separately, it's much easier to hold a press conference and give everyone as much info as possible in an orderly fashion. Pressers can be held for several reasons: 1) There is updated info to communicate, 2) There are inquiries and demands made on the facility and so they're trying to accomodate everyone. We'll know more tomorrow.

I am planning to attend the press conference scheduled for tomorrow. I hope they let me in. I did call New Bolton and asked if it was OK. They were aware of this site, and did not seem to mind.

The New York Post may be including a bit on this site tomorrow in its Barbaro coverage. (Eliza, I hope we have the bandwidth for that ?) As I was enjoying a couple of Tetleys at the Whip it seemed HRTV was running something on Bobby (sound was muted, but it seemed they were talking to Jeannine during some of the coverage).
Old 07-12-2006, 09:13 PM
taoaracing

Most informative updates on the web right above this post , Thats where i got mine from as well
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Santa Anita

thank you all for the info. and at the very least Pimlico can't say anymore that someone or soemthing kicked Barbaro. it was bad racing luck directly related to the running surface.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:

zip it harness boy black thr,,doesent need to tell you anything..he is a real important person in our sport ..so relax..and just so you know he contributes too a bunch of things... this board as a courtesy...i think..
Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Pimlico

What is Laminates and why is it so dangerous?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
The guy is an idiot, but he has ever right to voice his opinion. It just shows little class, but it isn't like he is making up a story about an injury and potentially costing some owner money.
I agree with the ruler on this one. The operative word in his post is CLASS. I like JJ's show, I think he can be entertaining from time to time, and his job is to give opinions. However, there is a line between opinion giving and stirring the pot irresponsibly. To say that the horse was dead already and no one was being told is a disrespectful gesture to everyone involved with the animal, all the fans who adore him, and the listeners to his show. In short, a complete lack of CLASS. Not in general, not all the time...just in this instance.