Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Jerome Park

Default Keeneland - 10/15 Race 8

Anybody else notice there was an extremely hard luck loser of this race?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Arlington Park

I'm curious who you you think it was, I bet Innovative however I can only say it may have cost him a 2nd place photo.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

In terms of distance covered, Innovative ran 8 lengths more than the winner. Oculuna ran 8 3/4 lengths more than the winner. But this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to describing the trips of the two.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
In terms of distance covered, Innovative ran 8 lengths more than the winner. Oculuna ran 8 3/4 lengths more than the winner. But this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to describing the trips of the two.
Motion has no luck, if he were a rabbit he couldn't find his own feet.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Jerome Park

I think you need to watch the race again.

Now, maybe you could have said this horse would have won with a perfect trip, but there is absolutely a horse that should have won and was denied victory.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Motion has no luck, if he were a rabbit he couldn't find his own feet.
He's plenty lucky and a damn fine horseman (on the turf). His problem is that he thinks he can repeatedly do the very difficult on the turf: stretch out a sprinter. No one is good at that (even on the bush tracks).
Old 10-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I think you need to watch the race again.

Now, maybe you could have said this horse would have won with a perfect trip, but there is absolutely a horse that should have won and was denied victory.
Keertana?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Keertana?

Yes, with a clean trip she gallops.

I don't disagree, however, about Oculuna.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM

I'll be betting the 7 next time out. I would think (after today's performance) that the connections won't have much difficulty getting a jock that's NOT RETARDED to ride her. (Of course, this assumes that the connections are aware of her trip --- perhaps a HUGE assumption )
Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Arlington Park

It's too bad the Keeneland meet ends on the 25th, would have to think these 3(trip horses)would have met in an 1X race if it had happened earlier in the meet. The comment lines are almost sure to not accurately reflect what happened in the race.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Arlington Park

Follow up -

In her first race since 10/15 at Keeneland, Keertana was a good but no excuses second this week to an impressive winner, Oculuna wasn't a factor this day.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Follow up -

In her first race since 10/15 at Keeneland, Keertana was a good but no excuses second this week to an impressive winner, Oculuna wasn't a factor this day.
She wasn't a factor because she was SCRATCHED. In terms of distance covered in their previous race (63 fee MORE by Oculuna), and Keertana's finish friday (beaten 1 length), Oculuna probably would've won.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
She wasn't a factor because she was SCRATCHED. In terms of distance covered in their previous race (63 fee MORE by Oculuna), and Keertana's finish friday (beaten 1 length), Oculuna probably would've won.
The problem is the turf season is almost over in the east and we will be blowing the dust off of these trip notes. Trip notes are only good when you can still use them.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
The problem is the turf season is almost over in the east and we will be blowing the dust off of these trip notes. Trip notes are only good when you can still use them.
Actually, the turf season is still going very strong in the east. LRL, HAW, CRC, and even CD all have strong turf racing, with FG and TAM getting ready to start. I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the prices/opportunities, as compared to what typically happens on the turf in NY. Let's face it, AQU in the fall is not exactly the easiest turf course to play and BEL/SAR don't exactly offer the best prices. I'm coming up to a full season of playing all these different courses and I've got an idea as to where I'll be focusing my play from now on.

Frankly, a guy with your (trip) talent would probably make a lot more money just playing turf races at all these tracks (and others).

Last edited by the_fat_man : 11-09-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Here's my take on all of this. Actually, the turf season is still going very strong in the east. LRL, HAW, CRC, and even CD all have strong turf racing, with FG and TAM getting ready to start, and I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the prices/opportunities, as compared to what typically happens on the turf in NY. Let's face it, AQU in the fall is not exactly the easiest turf course to play and BEL/SAR don't exactly offer the best prices. I'm coming up to a full season of playing all these different courses and I've got an idea as to where I'll be focusing my play.

Frankly, a guy with your (trip) talent would probably make a lot more money just playing turf races at all these tracks.

We share a preference of turf racing to dirt racing no doubt. Tripping is much more important on the green than dirt in my mind, where speed is usually the key to success on dirt. Turf has a lot more variables that make it alot of fun.

We can talk turf all day, one thing that I think is somewhat overlooked over here that is often talked about by European and Hong Kong analysts is racing with cover, Europeans love to cover their horses up and I love Jockies that make that effort. They can get in trouble at times, but I much prefer that to an uncovered 3 wide trip to stay out of trouble.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM

UPDATE:

2 for 2 on the turf for Oculuna, including a win today at TAM, since this race.