Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
NYRA press release : https://www.nyra.com/belmont/news/ny...belmont-stakes

Notice the clear delineation between Churchill's decision and anything to do with NYRA. In other words, this was NOT worked through the horse racing system and appears to be exclusively a Churchill Derby Day cash grab in coordination with NBC coverage. The Kentucky Derby is officially a scratch from my race card interest in 2020.
Do you really think other entities won’t work around this?
Old 03-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Do you really think other entities won’t work around this?
Do you really think that NYRA should change their Saratoga meeting, the very best and leading meeting in the country, to accomodate an arbitrary decision which is an on-site money grab by Churchill Downs?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I think there’s been some kind of misunderstanding - I wanted the race to be run without people, as NY and CA are doing. In no way was I suggesting the race should be run as usual.
Quote:
This is the key point. New York and California are trying to lead the way based on their generation of on-line handle to keep all of the social distancing aspects in place while giving those involved with the industry a chance to earn a living.

If those at Churchill spoke with the California and New York racing entities to discuss the impact on their scheduling to hold a Labor Day Derby, I am completely on board. However, if Churchill did this unilaterally without business consideration for the other racing jursidictions, exactly why do California and New York need to fall in line behind a year-round second tier circuit? To support the game?
The thing for me is - I’m pretty sure that states and/or the federal government are going to mandate that horse racing stop at some point. So I don’t think planning to race without fans is a viable option for Churchill. I guess we’ll see. I don’t think Santa Anita or NYRA are going to be running in two weeks.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Do you really think that NYRA should change their Saratoga meeting, the very best and leading meeting in the country, to accomodate an arbitrary decision which is an on-site money grab by Churchill Downs?
If it increases the chances of having a stacked field for the Travers, why not? This is a business. Saratoga can try to compete with the Derby, which is fine, or they can modify their usual schedule to accommodate the extenuating circumstances created by the coronavirus. I don’t care what they decide to do but it’s not a bad idea to move the Travers.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
To me that date seems like the only option for them.. Enough time for this to clear out and folks schedule Hotel, Airfare etc. It is Before College Football dominates Saturdays and it gives horses enough time before Breeders Cup.. And they have every right to a money grab... They need to do what is right for their shareholders.. It sucks but you have to play the ball where it lies.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:13 AM
Belmont Park

Interesting development. In a perfect world, CD would have contacted NYRA and worked together to manufacture an ideal scenario. Instead, they acted like the Derby is the ONLY race that matters.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Interesting development. In a perfect world, CD would have contacted NYRA and worked together to manufacture an ideal scenario. Instead, they acted like the Derby is the ONLY race that matters.
This is precisely my point. The NYRA Press Release sounds as if the organization was on its heels : "we will get back to you when we have an idea what to do" as opposed to having a coordinated response across the racing juristictions.

I am happy to hear the "work together" mantra, but the first player basically told you that your voice did not matter - and that is the problem. Play nice if you want in working with the Stronach organization.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
While I realize this meet doesn't start for another 4 months, what does them being the "leading meet" have to do with anything? Keeneland just scrapped their entire meet, the NBA/NHL/MLB/NCAA have come to a screeching halt, but NYRA conforming to some type of adjustment is too much to ask?

I've been to the last 20 derby's and have tickets to this year's as well, am I pissed, sure, but there's a bigger picture happening in life right now. People need to be prepared to get out of their comfort zones being we're in uncharted territories not only as race fans but as human beings right now.

-bt-
Old 03-17-2020, 11:35 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Quote:
This is precisely my point. The NYRA Press Release sounds as if the organization was on its heels : "we will get back to you when we have an idea what to do" as opposed to having a coordinated response across the racing juristictions.

I am happy to hear the "work together" mantra, but the first player basically told you that your voice did not matter - and that is the problem. Play nice if you want in working with the Stronach organization.
Churchill was trying to figure things out in a short window. You think it’s as simple as Churchill calling NYRA and they can work things out in time for Churchill to give adequate notice to everyone? That seems extremely unlikely. And which other tracks should Churchill call to coordinate with.

I agree, in an ideal world, there would be some coordination or at least communication. But it just seems unrealistic/impractical here.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:43 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
While I realize this meet doesn't start for another 4 months, what does them being the "leading meet" have to do with anything? Keeneland just scrapped their entire meet, the NBA/NHL/MLB/NCAA have come to a screeching halt, but NYRA conforming to some type of adjustment is too much to ask?

I've been to the last 20 derby's and have tickets to this year's as well, am I pissed, sure, but there's a bigger picture happening in life right now. People need to be prepared to get out of their comfort zones being we're in uncharted territories not only as race fans but as human beings right now.

-bt-
All valid points, but per your example, why is the Derby not outright being cancelled? Seriously, it is just one race in the 3YO season when put in perspective. The reason is that the Stronach Group wants that revenue in any way possible. If it wasn't the 3YOs could race in front of an empty grandstand and we all watch and bet from home.

The secondary question is why does the 3YO stakes path need to change to accomodate this particular two minute race? Stronach should have worked on that before announcing this new date. It would have been a better way to bring the industry together. We can talk about the spirit of cooperation, but did Stronach speak with the various leading organizations (NYRA, Del Mar) to see how they could work together?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Longchamps

I’ll be honest I’m looking at it this way. If the derby is run in September as stated I will be a very happy man. It will mean this crisis is over and the real things that matter in life will be back.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Churchill was trying to figure things out in a short window. You think it’s as simple as Churchill calling NYRA and they can work things out in time for Churchill to give adequate notice to everyone? That seems extremely unlikely. And which other tracks should Churchill call to coordinate with.

I agree, in an ideal world, there would be some coordination or at least communication. But it just seems unrealistic/impractical here.
It's the friggin TRAVERS the mid-summer Derby arguably the second most important 3-year-old race in the country. It's not the Indiana Derby. If the second most important race in the country doesn't matter than I give up.

It is what it is...FU everyone we are the Derby you do what you want. Do you think the Masters would schedule over the Ryder Cup?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:47 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I think you’re grossly missing the big picture here. It was hardly an arbitrary decision.

I’m not really sure what else to say at this point. Churchill is actually doing the right thing.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post

Politely, I say hogwash. If Churchill took another two weeks to speak with every major feeder racing organization between now and then, schedules could have been synchronized.

Tracks to call seems simple, those with major Summer Stakes and those with classic lead-ins : NYRA (Travers), Monmouth (Haskell), Delmar (Pacific Classic), Santa Anita, Oaklawn, and Fair Grounds. They own Gulfstream so that should be easy.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:53 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
I think you’re grossly missing the big picture here. It was hardly an arbitrary decision.

I’m not really sure what else to say at this point. Churchill is actually doing the right thing.
Fill in the blank : Churchill is doing the right thing for ____. NBC? The Stronach Group? Cancel the Derby this year and allow the other Summer 3YO stakes to be the playground showdown. I guess we just disagree.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Politely, I say hogwash. If Churchill took another two weeks to speak with every major feeder racing organization between now and then, schedules could have been synchronized.

Tracks to call seems simple, those with major Summer Stakes and those with classic lead-ins : NYRA (Travers), Monmouth (Haskell), Delmar (Pacific Classic), Santa Anita, Oaklawn, and Fair Grounds. They own Gulfstream so that should be easy.
So they only need to coordinate with 7-8 tracks? Come on.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:11 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
All valid points, but per your example, why is the Derby not outright being cancelled? Seriously, it is just one race in the 3YO season when put in perspective. The reason is that the Stronach Group wants that revenue in any way possible. If it wasn't the 3YOs could race in front of an empty grandstand and we all watch and bet from home.

The secondary question is why does the 3YO stakes path need to change to accomodate this particular two minute race? Stronach should have worked on that before announcing this new date. It would have been a better way to bring the industry together. We can talk about the spirit of cooperation, but did Stronach speak with the various leading organizations (NYRA, Del Mar) to see how they could work together?
The Stronach Group has nothing to do with Churchill
Old 03-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
It's the friggin TRAVERS the mid-summer Derby arguably the second most important 3-year-old race in the country. It's not the Indiana Derby. If the second most important race in the country doesn't matter than I give up.

It is what it is...FU everyone we are the Derby you do what you want. Do you think the Masters would schedule over the Ryder Cup?
You’re right. They’re not consulting others because it’s the Derby. Like it or not, reality is that casual fans pay more attention to the Derby than the Travers. It’s stupid to have them right on top of each other. Hopefully the Travers will reschedule.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The Stronach Group has nothing to do with Churchill
Good. I thought I missed something.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Fill in the blank : Churchill is doing the right thing for ____. NBC? The Stronach Group? Cancel the Derby this year and allow the other Summer 3YO stakes to be the playground showdown. I guess we just disagree.
Again, The Stronach Group has nothing to do with Churchill. Your whole premise is faulty off the bat.