Why?
You really think this will pass by Labor Day? be real

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff View Post
You really think this will pass by Labor Day? be real
If people are smart and stay home I’m pretty optimistic. If people don’t, then I think you’re right.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
If people are smart and stay home I’m pretty optimistic. If people don’t, then I think you’re right.
This could impact the Breeder's Cup also ...... unbelievable times

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
There’s a pandemic and you’re mad the Derby is postponed?

Oh please, I don’t need to be lectured. I’ve had to cancel my trip to the UK - I suppose I’m not allowed to be disappointed in that also? We have to put all our feelings on hold about everything? Don’t lecture me - I live at home with my 84 year old father, and while he’s in great shape, of course I’m worried about possibly infecting him - or my mother. You don’t know me, you don’t know what I’m feeling, so get off my back. Oh, and if you’re so concerned about the pandemic, why are you posting about racing instead of focusing entirely on this virus? You have no right to judge me.

Last edited by Betsy : 03-17-2020 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:19 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I really loathe a decision to postpone. By then, the colts will be closer to being older horses than 3 year olds - the race itself is more than a test of talent, it's a test of which horses can be precocious enough to be ready for that demanding distance so early in the year and yet sturdy enough to be able to run well at that distance. Now it's just going to be a post-Travers race - too similar to the Travers, in fact it will be exactly the same. Will trainers want to run in both races? Nope, so they’d be forced to choose...

There is no reason why the Derby shouldn't be run in front of a crowdless grandstand. I would also add that the Derby would get extra coverage as pretty much the only sporting event at the time - in September, with pennant race baseball going on as well as the start of the NFL season...and maybe the Masters...it’s going to get lost.

Additionally, if the Derby is postponed, and there's no Preakness, where do these horses run? There aren't any big races within that span because of the TC.... I like Steve Haskins’ idea (from his Derby Dozen):
I love the Derby...this sucks (for many reasons), but I’ll try to enjoy the novelty of the September Derby for this year.

The big flaw in Haskin’s idea is that most states may shut down horse racing in the next few weeks (at least I think so) and it would probably be crazy for a track to do that with the possibility of no fan attendance. I also wouldn’t want it at Santa Anita.

Maybe Laurel should commission a big race in late September between the Derby and Breeders Cup. They wanted the Preakness...maybe they could host the equivalent this year.

It’s going to be weird no matter what.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:38 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
There’s a pandemic and you’re mad the Derby is postponed?

In fairness to Betsy, I think a lot of people (including myself) were holding onto the Derby as the last sporting event that hadn’t been cancelled and that could maybe restore some normalcy to our lives at a time where the world just seems freaking crazy.

It’s disappointing...but like I said, I’ll enjoy the novelty of the September Derby this year. And yeah, public health is obviously more important than any sporting event. As a sidenote: One thing I’m worried about with this virus is the psychological impact isolation and the disruption of our normal lives will have on people. The physical impact from contracting the virus is one thing but social distancing and all the other adjustments are really going to be difficult for some people.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:45 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Any word on whether those tracks that ran last weekend will continue? We really need a diversion.
Aqueduct, Oaklawn, Gulfstream and Fair Grounds plan to race on. Santa Anita undetermined at this point.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ow-will-go-on/
Old 03-17-2020, 02:47 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I love the Derby...this sucks (for many reasons), but I’ll try to enjoy the novelty of the September Derby for this year.

The big flaw in Haskin’s idea is that most states may shut down horse racing in the next few weeks (at least I think so) and it would probably be crazy for a track to do that with the possibility of no fan attendance. I also wouldn’t want it at Santa Anita.

Maybe Laurel should commission a big race in late September between the Derby and Breeders Cup. They wanted the Preakness...maybe they could host the equivalent this year.

It’s going to be weird no matter what.
The thing is, aside from the logistical complications, it’s essentially going up against the Travers. It’s not good for the sport if the top colts all abandon that race so that it’s a shell of itself. I’m not really worried about that as I think more than a few will run there. Then there’s the fact that there is a huge hole in the calendar. Once the preps are over, where are these fit and ready horses supposed to run with no Derby and no Preakness? I admit that I’d always hate the postponement because I think they should have run without crowds - as detailed above - but I would be less upset if doing so didn’t upset the apple cart.

It’s going to go down in the annals of racing history, that’s for sure, lol
Old 03-17-2020, 02:56 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
In fairness to Betsy, I think a lot of people (including myself) were holding onto the Derby as the last sporting event that hadn’t been cancelled and that could maybe restore some normalcy to our lives at a time where the world just seems freaking crazy.

It’s disappointing...but like I said, I’ll enjoy the novelty of the September Derby this year. And yeah, public health is obviously more important than any sporting event. As a sidenote: One thing I’m worried about with this virus is the psychological impact isolation and the disruption of our normal lives will have on people. The physical impact from contracting the virus is one thing but social distancing and all the other adjustments are really going to be difficult for some people.
Yes, this. If they cancelled it, I’d actually have understood more since I’m seeing racing conducted in NY without crowds and it’s seemingly doing fine. It’s nice to see some semblance of normalcy during a time that’s unlike anything we’ve known. I just resent the implication that I’m a bad person or something is wrong with me that I don’t care about people getting sick and dying. I won’t take that from people I know, much less a stranger who has the nerve to judge me.

I listen to sports radio, and it’s been mostly virus radio as there’s been no sports to talk about. They raise a good point that, at least in this day and age, we have our gadgets, computers, etc...to keep in touch with people. Essentially being confined to your home is going be hard, but we can still go outside, walk, etc...as long as we’re not too close to people or in crowds. I guess this is the new normal for awhile.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:16 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Oh please, I don’t need to be lectured. I’ve had to cancel my trip to the UK - I suppose I’m not allowed to be disappointed in that also? We have to put all our feelings on hold about everything? Don’t lecture me - I live at home with my 84 year old father, and while he’s in great shape, of course I’m worried about possibly infecting him - or my mother. You don’t know me, you don’t know what I’m feeling, so get off my back. Oh, and if you’re so concerned about the pandemic, why are you posting about racing instead of focusing entirely on this virus? You have no right to judge me.
I’m not lecturing you. Just found your outrage about the Derby odd in a time like this.

Save your lectures and tantrums for someone else. It’s a message board. You post, people respond. That’s the way it works.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:24 AM
Keeneland

Quote:

The world is crazy right now. Whether you or Betsy like it, Churchill has shareholders they have to think about. I’m sure this decision wasn’t easy but again, regardless of how infuriated Betsy is, it’s the right one. All other major sports have cancelled for the foreseeable future. I mean, the March Madness tournament cancelled.

We’re fortunate enough to live in a time where we have Netflix, libraries at our disposals, the ability to FaceTime people, etc. If you’re lucky enough to avoid you or someone you love getting this, social distancing and isolation will be the least of your problems.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:26 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
The thing is, aside from the logistical complications, it’s essentially going up against the Travers. It’s not good for the sport if the top colts all abandon that race so that it’s a shell of itself. I’m not really worried about that as I think more than a few will run there. Then there’s the fact that there is a huge hole in the calendar. Once the preps are over, where are these fit and ready horses supposed to run with no Derby and no Preakness? I admit that I’d always hate the postponement because I think they should have run without crowds - as detailed above - but I would be less upset if doing so didn’t upset the apple cart.

It’s going to go down in the annals of racing history, that’s for sure, lol
I highly doubt the Travers will be run a week before the Derby. People will make adjustments to their stakes schedule I’m sure.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The world is crazy right now. Whether you or Betsy like it, Churchill has shareholders they have to think about. I’m sure this decision wasn’t easy but again, regardless of how infuriated Betsy is, it’s the right one. All other major sports have cancelled for the foreseeable future. I mean, the March Madness tournament cancelled.

We’re fortunate enough to live in a time where we have Netflix, libraries at our disposals, the ability to FaceTime people, etc. If you’re lucky enough to avoid you or someone you love getting this, social distancing and isolation will be the least of your problems.
Agreed 100%. They’ve made the right decision. And I agree that social distancing and isolation is much better than the alternative. My wife, daughters, and I have been essentially self-isolating since Thursday. I’ve had to argue with countless family members who thought this was all a media-driven overreaction. They’ve all finally come around.

And I also agree we’re lucky to have all that technology. My daughters have had the chance to facetime my mom and their friends. It’s really great. And we can order stuff off Amazon and have groceries delivered and do curbside pickup and the ability to work from home.

I was only trying to say that I can understand that people are upset.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Agreed 100%. They’ve made the right decision. And I agree that social distancing and isolation is much better than the alternative. My wife, daughters, and I have been essentially self-isolating since Thursday. I’ve had to argue with countless family members who thought this was all a media-driven overreaction. They’ve all finally come around.

And I also agree we’re lucky to have all that technology. My daughters have had the chance to facetime my mom and their friends. It’s really great. And we can order stuff off Amazon and have groceries delivered and do curbside pickup and the ability to work from home.

Fair enough. I’m not trying to minimize people’s feelings. We’re lucky we had racing last weekend and maybe this week but I’m not sure how much longer we’ll have it.

I’m trying to have an open mind about the Derby. This might be a blessing in disguise. We might see some really good racing later in the year because of this.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 AM
Flemington

We might even get a few good 4 year olds running next year.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:58 AM
Steve Byk

Derby rescheduled from May 2, 2020 to September 5, 2020

The 146th Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve will be rescheduled from May 2, 2020 to September 5, 2020 and the 146th Longines Kentucky Oaks will be rescheduled from May 1, 2020 to September 4, 2020. These dates are contingent upon final approval from the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission which we expect to receive on Thursday, March 19.

Churchill Downs Incorporated CEO, Bill Carstanjen, stated: “Throughout the rapid development of the COVID-19 pandemic, our first priority has been how to best protect the safety and health of our guests, team members and community. As the situation evolved, we steadily made all necessary operational adjustments to provide the safest experience and environment. The most recent developments have led us to make some very difficult, but we believe, necessary decisions and our hearts are with those who have been or continue to be affected by this pandemic.

Our team is united in our commitment to holding the very best Kentucky Derby ever and certainly the most unique in any of our lifetimes. While we are always respectful of the time-honored traditions of the Kentucky Derby, our Company’s true legacy is one of resilience, the embracing of change and unshakeable resolve.
Ticket/ Refund Policy

Your Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby tickets purchased for the originally scheduled dates are automatically valid for the new race dates. You may arrive on the new dates in September with your printed ticket or mobile ticket to be scanned for entry at the gates. Information on a new ticket shipment date will be sent directly to ticket purchasers.

If you have purchased a ticket and are not able to attend the newly scheduled race dates, information regarding refund requests will be available at this site (KentuckyDerby.com/updates) by the end of this week. If your ticket was purchased from a vendor or secondary market website other than Churchill Downs, Ticketmaster.com or Derby Experiences, please contact that site directly. We are unable to process refunds for those tickets.
Derby Week Information

The remainder of Derby Week races have not been decided at this time. Please revisit us at KentuckyDerby.com/updates for the latest information regarding Opening Night, Champions Day, Wednesday and Thurby.

Churchill Downs Racetrack Updates

The safety and health of our guests, team members and participants remains our primary concern at Churchill Downs Racetrack. We are monitoring COVID-19 developments with steadfast vigilance in connection with resources provided by the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control as well as public health officials and experts.

We encourage anyone planning to visit Churchill Downs Racetrack to follow the preventative actions outlined by the CDC and make informed decisions based on the official and most recent information provided. If you plan to attend a private event held at Churchill Downs, you should contact the organizer directly. All scheduled events will continue at the discretion of our clients.

In the best interest of our guests, employees and the community around us amid public health concerns regarding the Coronavirus pandemic, Churchill Downs Racetrack has made the difficult decision to voluntarily suspend simulcasting operations, effective Sunday, March 15 at midnight, for fourteen days. There have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Churchill Downs Racetrack. We sincerely apologize for this abrupt notice and any inconvenience it may cause.

To ensure the utmost safety of guests when they visit our property, we have instituted the following practices at Churchill Downs Racetrack:
  • Doubling all housekeeping staff at the track and on backside to increase frequency of cleaning disinfecting high-touch surfaces including gate turnstiles, doors, door knobs, handles, restrooms, tables, chairs, light, switches, elevator buttons security card readers, etc.
  • Educating all employees on CDC guidance, including proper handwashing techniques, and the avoidance of touching eyes, nose, and mouth
  • Requesting all vendors to thoroughly communicate hygiene protocol to their staff and employees.
  • Instructing all employees feeling unwell to refrain from coming to work.
  • Utilizing cleaning chemicals that meet the latest Environmental Protection Agency Emerging Viral Pathogen Policy and CDC requirements for registered disinfectants
  • Implementing the use of electrostatic spraying systems after hours to supplement routine surface cleaning
  • Increasing public hand-sanitizing stations in high-traffic areas, containing gel that meets or exceeds the CDC standard for alcohol content
  • Enforcing a renewed focus on our ongoing maintenance efforts, including:
  • Regular thorough cleaning of all restrooms on the track and backside, with pre-cleanings daily as well as routine cleanings during normal operation
  • Continuously wiping down all betting stations with 60% alcohol cleaning solution
  • Using disposable gloves during food preparation in all kitchens and sanitizing all food prep surfaces at the track and on the backside, including cutting boards, counter tops and cutting utensils while also washing hands before, during and after food preparation
  • Routinely changing out air filters with a high grade minimum efficiency reporting value rating and cleaning HVAC equipment while monitoring CO2, humidity, and ventilation and using air economization and filtration to help dilute any airborne particulate matter
  • Waiving liquid restrictions to allow guests to bring their own hand sanitizer onsite. (All other liquids still prohibited.)

Nothing is more important at Churchill Downs Racetrack than the safety and health of our guests, team members, and participants. We will continue to be fully transparent with our plans going forward and will be sure to inform our fans, followers, and friends of any updates or changes to our regular operations as well as information regarding Kentucky Derby 146 and our upcoming Spring Meet.

Last edited by Kasept : 03-17-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Randwyck

Quote:

I think there’s been some kind of misunderstanding - I wanted the race to be run without people, as NY and CA are doing. In no way was I suggesting the race should be run as usual.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
I highly doubt the Travers will be run a week before the Derby. People will make adjustments to their stakes schedule I’m sure.
That’s true...I’m not sure trainers will want to run two 1 1/4 back to back, but they can always prep for the BC with a 1 1/8 race like the Woodward. Tracks will need to work together - maybe reschedule other races for the May, June period.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:01 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
I think there’s been some kind of misunderstanding - I wanted the race to be run without people, as NY and CA are doing. In no way was I suggesting the race should be run as usual.
This is the key point. New York and California are trying to lead the way based on their generation of on-line handle to keep all of the social distancing aspects in place while giving those involved with the industry a chance to earn a living.

Quote:
That’s true...I’m not sure trainers will want to run two 1 1/4 back to back, but they can always prep for the BC with a 1 1/8 race like the Woodward. Tracks will need to work together - maybe reschedule other races for the May, June period.
If those at Churchill spoke with the California and New York racing entities to discuss the impact on their scheduling to hold a Labor Day Derby, I am completely on board. However, if Churchill did this unilaterally without business consideration for the other racing jursidictions, exactly why do California and New York need to fall in line behind a year-round second tier circuit? To support the game?
Old 03-17-2020, 10:04 AM
Narragansett Park

NYRA press release : https://www.nyra.com/belmont/news/ny...belmont-stakes

Notice the clear delineation between Churchill's decision and anything to do with NYRA. In other words, this was NOT worked through the horse racing system and appears to be exclusively a Churchill Derby Day cash grab in coordination with NBC coverage. The Kentucky Derby is officially a scratch from my race card interest in 2020.