Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2020, 03:51 PM
Steve Byk

Exclamation KEE meet, SUN Derby cancelled; KY Derby to September 5th..

Sunland closing for Covid..
Old 03-15-2020, 03:57 PM
Steve Byk

Field was drawn before the decision was announced!

Shoplifted
Azul Coast
High Velocity
Fort Knox
Fast Enough
As Seen on Tv
Top Draw
Sir Rick
Palm Springs
Old 03-15-2020, 04:48 PM
Longchamps

It looks pretty probable the Derby gets postponed. Are you hearing anything Steve on what may be done?
Old 03-15-2020, 06:23 PM
Steve Byk

We’ll know more this week. June 27/July 4 Derby seems like the target.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
We’ll know more this week. June 27/July 4 Derby seems like the target.
Still early days and surely more important issues on the table nationally, but just for a diversion, consider the implications.

If the Kentucky Derby was a July 4th celebration, is there still a Triple Crown this year?

If the Preakness was still in the sequence of a Triple Crown for late July, this means one of several options for the Belmont. We could see the Belmont at Belmont in September. We could see the Belmont later in August at Saratoga (what happens to the Travers?). We could see the Belmont not run at all.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Steve Byk

All depends on NBC. After what I heard today, would revise date range later towards fall.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Steve Byk

Exclamation Keeneland cancels meet..

Not surprising.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Steve Byk

Announcement tomorrow at 9a.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Oriental Park

If it’s moved to September, I’m interested to see what they do with futures wagers. I’ll take a refund on my bets in Green Light Go and Chance It...but I don’t mind keeping that Oaks-Derby double I have for Wicked Whisper and Maxfield.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Not surprising.
Any word on whether those tracks that ran last weekend will continue? We really need a diversion.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
If it’s moved to September, I’m interested to see what they do with futures wagers. I’ll take a refund on my bets in Green Light Go and Chance It...but I don’t mind keeping that Oaks-Derby double I have for Wicked Whisper and Maxfield.
I really loathe a decision to postpone. By then, the colts will be closer to being older horses than 3 year olds - the race itself is more than a test of talent, it's a test of which horses can be precocious enough to be ready for that demanding distance so early in the year and yet sturdy enough to be able to run well at that distance. Now it's just going to be a post-Travers race - too similar to the Travers, in fact it will be exactly the same. Will trainers want to run in both races? Nope, so they’d be forced to choose...

There is no reason why the Derby shouldn't be run in front of a crowdless grandstand. I would also add that the Derby would get extra coverage as pretty much the only sporting event at the time - in September, with pennant race baseball going on as well as the start of the NFL season...and maybe the Masters...it’s going to get lost.

Additionally, if the Derby is postponed, and there's no Preakness, where do these horses run? There aren't any big races within that span because of the TC.... I like Steve Haskins’ idea (from his Derby Dozen):

Quote:
Derby decision tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. I assume they will postpone, so I will have to discuss with editors about ending Derby Dozen. Most of the preps look like they will run, but no sense having a Derby Dozen without the Derby. Will some track put up the money and have a 1 1/4-mile race on the first Saturday in May with 14 starters? All these horses will be all revved up with no place to go. Might be interesting to run a race at Santa Anita on Derby day. It would start at the head of the stretch just like the Derby. They could lower the purse of the SA Derby and put it towards their big race. Handle would go thru the roof with no other betting outlets around the world, TV rights and TVG and XBTV based there, and wouldnt Stronach Group love to stick it to Churchill Downs and steal their thunder?
Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Delaware Park

I understand official announcement is tomorrow, but a quick search for a stay in Louisville at Marriott properties for the first Saturday in September are sold out
Old 03-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I really loathe a decision to postpone. By then, the colts will be closer to being older horses than 3 year olds - the race itself is more than a test of talent, it's a test of which horses can be precocious enough to be ready for that demanding distance so early in the year and yet sturdy enough to be able to run well at that distance.
With a quick scan of the past 30-odd Derby winners the phrase "sturdy enough" does not come to mind.

At this point it is strictly a test for precocity. Stamina or sturdiness hardly factor into it at all despite the 10 furlong distance.

Quote:
There is no reason why the Derby shouldn't be run in front of a crowdless grandstand. I would also add that the Derby would get extra coverage as pretty much the only sporting event at the time - in September, with pennant race baseball going on as well as the start of the NFL season...and maybe the Masters...it’s going to get lost.
Run it after the BC Classic on Thanksgiving weekend the same day as the Kentucky Jockey Club to double up on promotion for the 2021 Derby. Would be a better barometer of champion 3yo that way. Might draw a South American or two...

Keeneland can run the Blue Grass as a prep race on the BC undercard.

Quote:
Additionally, if the Derby is postponed, and there's no Preakness, where do these horses run? There aren't any big races within that span because of the TC.... I like Steve Haskins’ idea (from his Derby Dozen):
New York Triple Crown. Withers, Peter Pan, Belmont Stakes. Keep it rolling with the Dwyer. Add a points system with some bonus money.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Randwyck

Here’s something:

According to multiple sources, all close to the situation, “The Pressbox” has learned that the 146th Kentucky Derby — which has been scheduled for May 2, 2020 — will be moved to Saturday, Sept. 5 due to complications associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The Pressbox” has also learned that Churchill Downs will hold a teleconference on Tuesday, March 17 at 9 a.m. ET to announce the news and begin official preparations for the sport’s longest-running and most historic Grade 1 Stakes event.

https://twitter.com/thepressboxlts/stat ... 4766267392

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
With a quick scan of the past 30-odd Derby winners the phrase "sturdy enough" does not come to mind.

At this point it is strictly a test for precocity. Stamina or sturdiness hardly factor into it at all despite the 10 furlong distance.

Run it after the BC Classic on Thanksgiving weekend the same day as the Kentucky Jockey Club to double up on promotion for the 2021 Derby. Would be a better barometer of champion 3yo that way. Might draw a South American or two...

Keeneland can run the Blue Grass as a prep race on the BC undercard.

New York Triple Crown. Withers, Peter Pan, Belmont Stakes. Keep it rolling with the Dwyer. Add a points system with some bonus money.
Maybe sturdy isn’t the right word....my point was that the race is a test of more than just talent. Some horses aren’t ready for the distance in May, some never will be. I don’t think it’s strictly a test of precocity or else we’d have a multitude of winners who broke their maidens at 5 furlongs.

That’s not a bad idea at all - I much prefer it to September. Still, these colts will be even more like 4 year olds then..,it almost shouldn’t be called a Derby.

I like the N.Y Triple Crown idea...
Old 03-16-2020, 07:09 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Let the Saratoga Travers be a lead in to the late September or October Belmont .... at Belmont.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Here’s something:

According to multiple sources, all close to the situation, “The Pressbox” has learned that the 146th Kentucky Derby — which has been scheduled for May 2, 2020 — will be moved to Saturday, Sept. 5 due to complications associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.
If this takes place after the summer season (if there is one) and after the Haskell/Travers, the race will mean absolutely NOTHING. Repeat, NOTHING.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
If this takes place after the summer season (if there is one) and after the Haskell/Travers, the race will mean absolutely NOTHING. Repeat, NOTHING.
It means little to me now. I suppose some will aim for the Travers, some for this fake Derby...the race is the most important thing, not the hooplah and celebs that don’t know one end of the horse from another. Yes, that’s all part of it and it’s wonderful, but strip it all down and the race is still the most exciting two minutes in sports.

Yes, I’m bitter. With no sports to focus on, no baseball, I’ve had some time to stew about this.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
It means little to me now. I suppose some will aim for the Travers, some for this fake Derby...the race is the most important thing, not the hooplah and celebs that don’t know one end of the horse from another. Yes, that’s all part of it and it’s wonderful, but strip it all down and the race is still the most exciting two minutes in sports.

Yes, I’m bitter. With no sports to focus on, no baseball, I’ve had some time to stew about this.
There’s a pandemic and you’re mad the Derby is postponed?

Old 03-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
There’s a pandemic and you’re mad the Derby is postponed?

They should just cancel for this year ..... period!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff View Post
They should just cancel for this year ..... period!
Why?