Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I don’t want to say I told you so in regards to Maximum Security but I’m interested in hearing his more vocal fans (Knicks, SCUDS when he’s allowed to use a computer) opinion on the allegations.
I'll be first to admit I was a Maximum Security fan and still am as its not the horses fault. I knew the history of Servis but failed to think that this would go on at the level of the Kentucky Derby and other great races the horse ran in. I was proven wrong and am happy to see the trash being dealt with. As a horse player these yahoos have cost me and I'm sure plenty others a lot of money having to include them in multi race wagers only because of the rumors. Congrats to the FBI on a job here well done and hopefully moves the sport in the right direction.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Saratoga

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=66

This guy made a beautiful perfect post about this kind of thing
Old 03-10-2020, 05:48 PM
Ellis Park

Default There's Cheating Going On In Horse Racing?

The absolute worst thing that could happen to the sport right now!
Dead horse being burying illegally! So no one knows?
Cut them loose, make a sever example of all the trainers, owners, Vets, and anybody they(The F.B.I.)can prove what they did and are accusing!
Baseball, Football, Golf, all major sports, and most minor sports would mediately get rid of these criminal elements.
What hell is going on here?
Old 03-10-2020, 07:53 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcopy View Post
The absolute worst thing that could happen to the sport right now!
Dead horse being burying illegally! So no one knows?
Cut them loose, make a sever example of all the trainers, owners, Vets, and anybody they(The F.B.I.)can prove what they did and are accusing!
Baseball, Football, Golf, all major sports, and most minor sports would mediately get rid of these criminal elements.
What hell is going on here?
Cut them loose ? I have news for you. If you get indicted by the Feds, you’re going to federal prison. Ask Vick, or Martha Stewart, or these parents who paid to get their kids into college. This is serious business and they’ve been watching for a long time.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Cut them loose ? I have news for you. If you get indicted by the Feds, you’re going to federal prison. Ask Vick, or Martha Stewart, or these parents who paid to get their kids into college. This is serious business and they’ve been watching for a long time.
By cut them loose I assume he means cut them loose from the game.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Havre de Grace

Being cut loose from the game is the least of their problems is what I’m saying.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
The list of enablers is very long and distinguished. It’s funny because I don’t recall anyone ever defending Navarro. But Servis is another story.

He had a lot of people fooled, right up until yesterday. When people questioned his move ups, they were told what a nice guy he was and that his methods were unorthodox. Horses thrived in his barn. When his winning percentage seemed too good to be true, they were told about how much he cared for the horses and how he just gave them more time than other trainers. When horses turned into pumpkins after leaving his barn and people pointed to that as potential proof, they were told horses just react differently to different methods.

He even played the choir boy role to perfection. Not an easy thing to do when you know you’re pumping horses full of PED’s and thats your edge.
I think there's a lot of people who knew he was a phony, myself and yourself included. Just look at the pre-Derby Maximum Security threads.

Call me a skeptic but I really doubt the Wests, et al didn't know what was going on.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:50 PM
Goodwood

What the industry needs to do is have statistical analysts look at each performance and the likelihood of result. Once a trainer/owner/jockey has too many questionable results (good OR bad), the scrutiny starts. Automatic security detail on the barn, etc. It's not hard to identify these guys through the past performances. Use the information available and act on it.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:32 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
What the industry needs to do is have statistical analysts look at each performance and the likelihood of result. Once a trainer/owner/jockey has too many questionable results (good OR bad), the scrutiny starts. Automatic security detail on the barn, etc. It's not hard to identify these guys through the past performances. Use the information available and act on it.
The Jockey Club and their investigative unit have been working on that utilizing Thoro-Graph and AI.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:44 AM
Flemington

Many of these horses seem to need lots of time between races. Maybe they should be tested every few weeks whether they race or not.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:04 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
Many of these horses seem to need lots of time between races. Maybe they should be tested every few weeks whether they race or not.
Out of competition testing does occur ahead of big stake targets, most notably Breeder's Cup. But as came up last year, those that are cycling steroid/steroid-like meds have taken horses off by the time horses are checked. And then, as seen with this situation, there's matter of things that won't test.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:57 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Out of competition testing does occur ahead of big stake targets, most notably Breeder's Cup. But as came up last year, those that are cycling steroid/steroid-like meds have taken horses off by the time horses are checked. And then, as seen with this situation, there's matter of things that won't test.
I suspect things that don’t test have always been the issue with this arms race. Modify a molecule or 2 to stay ahead of the tests...
Old 03-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Fairgrounds

But wait, There's more to come!!!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Narragansett Park

Twenty-five horses in joint ownership between Dubb/Servis. I want to believe, but Occam's Razor has a place in this discussion.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ckening-to-me/
Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Oriental Park

Maybe I’m being petty and vindictive but the max penalty for misbranding is only 5 years imprisonment. Given the harm caused to the sport and bettors, and assuming the evidence supports it, I’d like to see the prosecutors get creative and nail them with something like wire fraud or mail fraud, which typically have higher max penalties. 5 years as a max is not enough for these guys.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
It's a disgrace. And every owner who employed them is complicit. They can try to act shocked and appalled now, but they obviously knew exactly what was up. They hired these guys specifically because they were miracle workers. It's easy to throw sleazebags like Navarro and Servis under the bus after the **** hits the fan, but this is a systemic problem. If owners and racetracks didn't tolerate their cheating, these guys wouldn't exist. I'm glad the feds had the guts to do what everyone in racing has been too cowardly to for years on end.
I would suggest it would be a good move for all the owners who have used these bottom feeders to suspended from racing anywhere indefinitely until all is sorted out. Like when a police officer is involved in a shooting, he is taken off the streets until all is figured out. Time for a no tolerance stance.

As far as out of racing testing, maybe we should demand all horses be tested at least once every 28 days, at owner's expense, in order to remain eligible to run.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:01 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Twenty-five horses in joint ownership between Dubb/Servis. I want to believe, but Occam's Razor has a place in this discussion.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ckening-to-me/
To me this has been the most embarrassing part of the entire ordeal. The owners playing dumb insults everyone’s intelligence.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
To me this has been the most embarrassing part of the entire ordeal. The owners playing dumb insults everyone’s intelligence.
Brian Trump on Twitter yesterday was saying that he never worked with Peter Miller, who has not been charged but I guess people are speculating. Either way, ridiculous. He’s getting roasted.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:19 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I would suggest it would be a good move for all the owners who have used these bottom feeders to suspended from racing anywhere indefinitely until all is sorted out. Like when a police officer is involved in a shooting, he is taken off the streets until all is figured out. Time for a no tolerance stance.

As far as out of racing testing, maybe we should demand all horses be tested at least once every 28 days, at owner's expense, in order to remain eligible to run.
Designer Steroids.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:32 PM
The Curragh

I don't buy this assumption that EVERY owner must have known. There's a bit of grab the pitchforks and storm the castle mentality going on.

If the owners HAD to know, did the tracks HAVE to know also? Should we suspend/shut down every track that allowed these guys to run their horses?