Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2020, 02:16 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Well I’ll be damned. Good catch. Not sure how I missed that.
Considering my avatar (Smarty Jones) and that Parx is my home track, that’s pretty bad.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:42 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Who could have seen this coming? Except everyone that was ever remotely familiar with any horse Jason Servis or Jorge Navarro has ever trained, I mean?
Old 03-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Havre de Grace

now for something completely different !!! The Dutrow case continues !!!

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/n...ry4-story.html

Blaise Pascal
Old 03-09-2020, 03:44 PM
Sam Houston

Default THE VET Indicted

This guy fro his bio on EmpireTB.com is a complete farce...
And his partner in Empire is Finn GReen who is in the HAY OATS & WATER Alliance.
What next?

Kristian Rhein, D.V.M.
Kristian is a horseman who also happens to be a distinguished veterinarian. He has his own veterinary practice at Belmont Park that he started in 2015. As an Equine Racetrack Practitioner, he has worked with many top trainers and equine athletes, from Classic winners to Eclipse Award Champions.

Growing up, his family ritual was to watch the Triple Crown races. Gathering around the television for the post parade, they would make their selections for the ensuing race while portraits of Triple Crown winners looked down from their walls. As Kristian grew older with an interest in veterinary medicine, he naturally gravitated toward Thoroughbred racehorses. It was Kristian’s hope that he could make a difference in the profession by assuring that theses magnificent animals had the best care and avoided injury.

During summers through veterinary school at North Carolina State, Kristian pursued his passion at Overbrook Farm where he was able to be involved in all aspects of a first-class Thoroughbred farm. He worked with world-renowned veterinarians and was around legendary stallions like STORM CAT. Kristian also volunteered much of his time at Gluck Equine Research Center and equine hospitals like Rood & Riddle, Hagyard, Davis and McGee. Furthermore, Kristian completed a surgery and medicine internship at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital (referred to as the Mayo Clinic for horses) and recieved a double certification for Equine Acupuncture from the Chi Institute, becoming a certified veterinary acupuncturist.

Kristian’s passion for the racetrack took him to a job with Dr. James Hunt at Belmont Park. Not only did he work with top trainers and care for dozens of G1 winners, including INVASOR, I‘LL HAVE ANOTHER and SUPER SAVER, but he also performed sales work for those same clients at the Saratoga Yearling Sale. Watching top trainers’ equine preferences both on the racetrack and in the sales ring helped him develop a keen eye for Thoroughbred talent.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Who could have seen this coming? Except everyone that was ever remotely familiar with any horse Jason Servis or Jorge Navarro has ever trained, I mean?
This is a really important point.

Servis had fifteen horses for Ron Lombardi ... how many with Mike Dubb in co-ownership ... how many with Gary West? I hope that they all will cry for those injected the same way Servis cried on national television after Maximum Security's return race.

Think of all the races which might have been twisted by these garbage drugs. Can you imagine a class action lawsuit due to financial harm associated with tampering with a sports contest?
Old 03-09-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
This is a really important point.

Servis had fifteen horses for Ron Lombardi ... how many with Mike Dubb in co-ownership ... how many with Gary West? I hope that they all will cry for those injected the same way Servis cried on national television after Maximum Security's return race.

Think of all the races which might have been twisted by these garbage drugs. Can you imagine a class action lawsuit due to financial harm associated with tampering with a sports contest?
It's a disgrace. And every owner who employed them is complicit. They can try to act shocked and appalled now, but they obviously knew exactly what was up. They hired these guys specifically because they were miracle workers. It's easy to throw sleazebags like Navarro and Servis under the bus after the **** hits the fan, but this is a systemic problem. If owners and racetracks didn't tolerate their cheating, these guys wouldn't exist. I'm glad the feds had the guts to do what everyone in racing has been too cowardly to for years on end.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
It's a disgrace. And every owner who employed them is complicit. They can try to act shocked and appalled now, but they knew exactly what was up. They hired these guys specifically because they were miracle workers. It's easy to throw sleazebags like Navarro and Servis under the bus after the **** hits the fan, but this is a systemic problem. If owners and racetracks didn't tolerate their cheating, these guys wouldn't exist. I'm glad the feds had the guts to do what everyone in racing has been too cowardly to for years on end.
Let's call out the REALLY BIG pink elephant in the room : Does NYRA cut all ties with Mike Dubb if it turns out he was "in the know"? Before answering, think Anna House and more. For someone who has all the money in the world to burn in this game, could he possibly have not been complicit? Tough to see how as he built part of the backstretch.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Havre de Grace

That the Feds are involved speaks volumes. It also means big fuukrn trouble for those involved. They can make people talk who can keep their mouth shut.
imagine what they’ll do to mental midgets . People are going downtown Chinatown when they’re through.

Last edited by Alabama Stakes : 03-10-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Cahokia Downs

I needed Spun to Run in the Cigar Mile to catch the Empire 6. Servis owes me $6,100.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Churchill Downs

Really sad, another black mark for the sport.

In every sport, as long as there are humans involved, their will be cheaters.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:59 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...wpisrc=nl_most

The Washington Post story has much the same info. But it has this extra bit:

In an intercepted telephone call recorded on Feb. 1, 2019, Surick implicated Navarro in a conversation with defendant Michael Tannuzzo, saying that Navarro secretly disposed of the bodies of horses that had died under his care.

“You know how many f----- horses [Navarro] f------ killed and broke down that I made disappear?” Surick allegedly said. “You know how much trouble he could get in … if they found out … the six horses we killed.”

This is the quote that makes me have a feeling of wanting to do something really, really bad to someone.

But it will pass.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Keeneland

I don’t want to say I told you so in regards to Maximum Security but I’m interested in hearing his more vocal fans (Knicks, SCUDS when he’s allowed to use a computer) opinion on the allegations.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
It's a disgrace. And every owner who employed them is complicit. They can try to act shocked and appalled now, but they obviously knew exactly what was up. They hired these guys specifically because they were miracle workers. It's easy to throw sleazebags like Navarro and Servis under the bus after the **** hits the fan, but this is a systemic problem. If owners and racetracks didn't tolerate their cheating, these guys wouldn't exist.
Notably, The Jockey Club statement included a (qualified) ownership reference: 5 Stones’ investigation produced indications of significant racehorse doping and active equine doping networks within the industry. This included information supporting findings that doping is often supported by enablers composed of trainers, veterinarians, pharmacists, stable staff, and in some instances, owners.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Flemington

Gary West transferred Max to BB while he waits to hear Jason's side of the story.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:23 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
It's a disgrace. And every owner who employed them is complicit. They can try to act shocked and appalled now, but they obviously knew exactly what was up. They hired these guys specifically because they were miracle workers. It's easy to throw sleazebags like Navarro and Servis under the bus after the **** hits the fan, but this is a systemic problem. If owners and racetracks didn't tolerate their cheating, these guys wouldn't exist. I'm glad the feds had the guts to do what everyone in racing has been too cowardly to for years on end.
The list of enablers is very long and distinguished. It’s funny because I don’t recall anyone ever defending Navarro. But Servis is another story.

He had a lot of people fooled, right up until yesterday. When people questioned his move ups, they were told what a nice guy he was and that his methods were unorthodox. Horses thrived in his barn. When his winning percentage seemed too good to be true, they were told about how much he cared for the horses and how he just gave them more time than other trainers. When horses turned into pumpkins after leaving his barn and people pointed to that as potential proof, they were told horses just react differently to different methods.

He even played the choir boy role to perfection. Not an easy thing to do when you know you’re pumping horses full of PED’s and thats your edge.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Sunshine Park

Not listed as part of the 27 but how is Saffie Joseph not on this list?

Wonder how he is feeling right now.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Narragansett Park

If you have the chance to listen live, Graham Motion is speaking with Steve Byk and is seriously attacking the industry.

It is refreshing and factual. He specifically discussed running against a fellow trainer who cannot stable in Maryland but is allowed to race there, asking is this better?

As he said, the race office is interested in filling 12 races per day with 12 horses and security is not being sufficiently stressed. Why did the industry do away with the security barns on raceday? Too expensive and complaints from trainers. As Graham said, how pitiful is that.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Havre de Grace

Years ago i was in the paddock with horses' owner and trainer, and the conversation went " don't get out vetted" Was it a joke??

Blaise Pascal
Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJake View Post
Not listed as part of the 27 but how is Saffie Joseph not on this list?

Wonder how he is feeling right now.
I’m guessing he’s too new to have this deep of an investigation into him yet. He’s only started doing superhuman stuff in the past year or so. But yeah I’m sure he’s sweating bullets as are several other guys.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Saratoga

Hanging would be too good for these POSs.....I can only hope the maximum penalties are executed and these $shitheads get everything they deserve...this literally makes me sick, it may be a long time before I look at racing the same way as I did before Monday...

https://pastthewire.com/the-doping-o...psDAL6wkX3-bzY