Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Samm

Default you have to see this to believe it!!!

http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/3394771.html

Horseman's Park opening day... 1st race!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Flemington

Somebody post who the #4 horse was.I want to play that horse next time(full of run n' on a mission.)
Old 07-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Del Mar

Samm, Nice work

Scuds, I'm on the #4 with you next time out.

The announcer was Walace from Oaklawn Park. Funny stuff and glad no one got hurt.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:15 PM
5'8".. but all man!

that was too funny.

Bogey...I realized that it was the guy from Oaklawn as soon as I heard his voice and then halfway through the race he begins to stutter and gets lost as to which horses he is calling. He may be a nice guy, I dont know, but as far as calling races....hes flat awful.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Oaklawn

Hard to imagine.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
that was too funny.

Bogey...I realized that it was the guy from Oaklawn as soon as I heard his voice and then halfway through the race he begins to stutter and gets lost as to which horses he is calling. He may be a nice guy, I dont know, but as far as calling races....hes flat awful.
GPK, he's a nice guy, but you are right the game has past him by. He's been at Oaklawn for a long time and he's a friend of the owner.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey
GPK, he's a nice guy, but you are right the game has past him by. He's been at Oaklawn for a long time and he's a friend of the owner.

That explains alot then.

How's things with you? I trust all is well.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
That explains alot then.

How's things with you? I trust all is well.
Things are going well. I just got my Arlington Million tickets in the mail. I can't wait and I know you love turf racing. It's my 3rd favorite day of the year behind the Derby and Breeders' Cup.

Hope everything is going well for you.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:49 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Things are going well. I just got my Arlington Million tickets in the mail. I can't wait and I know you love turf racing. It's my 3rd favorite day of the year behind the Derby and Breeders' Cup.

Hope everything is going well for you.
Sweet, hope you have a blast. I gotta get to Arlington one of these days. I was looking at the Belmont fall meet. I think I am gonna try and make it out there on Oct.7th. Joe Hirsch Turf Classic is that day and there is a horse that will be running in that race that I may like to see...English something or other...
Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Sweet, hope you have a blast. I gotta get to Arlington one of these days. I was looking at the Belmont fall meet. I think I am gonna try and make it out there on Oct.7th. Joe Hirsch Turf Classic is that day and there is a horse that will be running in that race that I may like to see...English something or other...
I saw the little guy last year in the paddock for the Secretariat on Million Day. I still don't understand why he was so close to the hot pace. He's definitely one of today's superstars. Million Day is a must for turf lovers.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:58 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
I saw the little guy last year in the paddock for the Secretariat on Million Day. I still don't understand why he was so close to the hot pace. He's definitely one of today's superstars. Million Day is a must for turf lovers.

Yeah...that was a very odd race. Only questionable ride that JV has given him thus far. My new license plates should be here any day...ENG CHAN
Old 07-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Yeah...that was a very odd race. Only questionable ride that JV has given him thus far. My new license plates should be here any day...ENG CHAN
NICE, He's got a huge heart and can never be taken likely. His United Nations win was super impressive and he will be a force all the way until the BC Turf. I know some people said that he might have some physical problems, but he seemed to run through that in the UN. Pletcher would not send him out, if he was hurt.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Flemington

I guess #4 was Dazzling J.R....
Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 PM
eurobounce

Man, great riding by the jocks in that race. And yes, the 4 was full of run.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Churchill Downs

Some years back I was watching the races in England on TV (I was in England, too). It during the winter season so was a jump race. The course in question had, as usual, separate hurdle (easily knocked-over panels) and steeplechase (higher, permanent hedges) courses and since they used the some of the same flat stretches, parts would be railed off for each type of race. Well, on this day, the rails had been placed at the wrong place, so that the horses came around the final turn and found a railing in front of them. Being jumpers, some of them tried to jump it, others got pulled up and banged into it sideways. Some horses did finish but declared no contest.

And I heartily endorse the praise for the riders involved. They threaded a needle at racing speed without incident. Bravo.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Man, great riding by the jocks in that race. And yes, the 4 was full of run.
Yes very good job. They are very lucky that nobody got seriously hurt.
Maybe Arlington should try leaving the starting gate out there like that to slow the horses down as they take the final turn on the dirt - might prevent some injuries.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Some years back I was watching the races in England on TV (I was in England, too). It during the winter season so was a jump race. The course in question had, as usual, separate hurdle (easily knocked-over panels) and steeplechase (higher, permanent hedges) courses and since they used the some of the same flat stretches, parts would be railed off for each type of race. Well, on this day, the rails had been placed at the wrong place, so that the horses came around the final turn and found a railing in front of them. Being jumpers, some of them tried to jump it, others got pulled up and banged into it sideways. Some horses did finish but declared no contest.

And I heartily endorse the praise for the riders involved. They threaded a needle at racing speed without incident. Bravo.
i remember that race, what a mess!

not very often a gate is left in the way, but thankfully still very rare. thank goodness no one was injured.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Washington Park

Default check out the outrider story, too

The outrider did a nice job in that race, too. Dig a bit on the link and there's a separate story on the outrider's actions when he realized the gate was not going to move.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/3402981.html