Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2006, 05:15 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I would guess you want to thank the State Racing and Wagering Board.

I know you're steamed, it's understandable, but I'm not sure the rule isn't the MOST fair for all concerned parties.
Yeah you should always give a guy with two losers in a multi race bet as much as a guy with two winners. I am calling the NYS wagering board, I want an explanation of this. This is the single worst thing I have ever seen at the racetrack.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:17 PM
oracle80

Office was closed at 5 PM. Have to wait until Monday to wish someone an illness.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I want to hear the explanation by these morons who have determined that its a total refund. Self serving BULL****. They know damn well that tickets hit the floor after the 2nd leg if they weren't live, many won't ever be paid. This is absolutely an outrage.
Doesn't seem to be the least bit fair.
If I'd spent the time to cap it and was still alive, I'd be outraged too.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:19 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Its BULL****!! WHy not refund the pik-3 as well then? That wasn't completed but they will pay a conso there. Someone please explain the difference to me.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Jerome Park

Did you know NYRA had a poll on their website a little while ago and asked how many races were necessary to be run to make a Pick-6 not a refund? I believe the winner was 4.

Anyway, it's a Racing and Wagering Board rule that is endorsed by NYRA. I think if you weren't steamed you would understand why this is the most fair way to handle the situation.

Here's a question....would whomever bet your Pick-6 have put in the same amount of money had it been a double combining the 4th and 5th races?

The bottom line is this is a greater good protection of the bettor, which by the way, once again hurts NYRA. Had it been a " Pick-2 " they would have gotten the take-out. This way they got nothing.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Did you know NYRA had a poll on their website a little while ago and asked how many races were necessary to be run to make a Pick-6 not a refund? I believe the winner was 4.

Anyway, it's a Racing and Wagering Board rule that is endorsed by NYRA. I think if you weren't steamed you would understand why this is the most fair way to handle the situation.

Here's a question....would whomever bet your Pick-6 have put in the same amount of money had it been a double combining the 4th and 5th races?

The bottom line is this is a greater good protection of the bettor, which by the way, once again hurts NYRA. Had it been a " Pick-2 " they would have gotten the take-out. This way they got nothing.
Really? Well how is that different than paying a consolation on a pik-3 where only one race is run?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Its BULL****!! WHy not refund the pik-3 as well then? That wasn't completed but they will pay a conso there. Someone please explain the difference to me.
I hope they give you the answer on Monday and let us all know.
I'd be so p i s s e d !
Old 07-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Would you also feel it wasn't " the least bit fair " if you were dead?

Suppose you put $2,000 into this Pick-6 only to lose and then see only two races were run when if you had known this in advance you would have bet zero. Also, the carryover plays into this. Should that be distributed to people who came up with two winners? Well, since the answer is most likely no, you have to wonder why the people who bet three times what would have been bet without a carryover should be penalized when in fact there was essentially no carryover.

It's all about the greatest good and protection of ALL bettors in the most equitable way.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Really? Well how is that different than paying a consolation on a pik-3 where only one race is run?
I would say you know why it's different...very different.

Would the ticket you are discussing here have been played if there was no carryover?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Hialeah Park

For those that don't know what happened and picked up this thread...

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/second.aspx?track=B&id=2132
Old 07-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Would you also feel it wasn't " the least bit fair " if you were dead?

Suppose you put $2,000 into this Pick-6 only to lose and then see only two races were run when if you had known this in advance you would have bet zero. Also, the carryover plays into this. Should that be distributed to people who came up with two winners? Well, since the answer is most likely no, you have to wonder why the people who bet three times what would have been bet without a carryover should be penalized when in fact there was essentially no carryover.

It's all about the greatest good and protection of ALL bettors in the most equitable way.
BTW,
You make a very good point, but aren't those tickets already lying on the floor? Those that had live tickets should have the remaining pool distributed.
Do you think that losing tickets deserve a "do over'?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:37 PM
oracle80

Basically I am a big NYRA supporter but they get an "F" for the way they handled things today from top to bottom.
First of all all major sports teams like the Yankees have someone monitoring weather and doppler radar. NYRA certainly has taken races off the turf before this in ADVANCE of a storm. Today they failed to do it. Its basically why they were so eager to cancel instead of letting the storms pass. They knew by not cancelling turf earlier in the day that the pik-4 was a total loss. The whole thing was handled horribly, even the most staunch NYRA advocate would have to come to that conclusion.
Someone really should apologize for the shafting that took place. And I fail to see how paying a conso when one race(ONE THIRD OF THE TOTAL RACES IN A MULTIRACE WAGER) has been run ina pik-3 sequence is any different than running two races in a 6 race multirace wager(ONE THIRD OF THE TOTAL RACES IN THE SEQUENCE). This was amateur hour by people who really are supposed to be sharper than this. If they really wanted to protect the public and jocks they would have taken those races off earlier. WHoever made that call(to not cancel the grass races earlier) is a first class imbecile.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
BTW,
You make a very good point, but aren't those tickets already lying on the floor? Those that had live tickets should have the remaining pool distributed.
Do you think that losing tickets deserve a "do over'?
There are next to no tickets. And, frankly, who the hell throws their tickets out anymore? This particular argument is impractical. I don't mean this to be insulting.

I believe this bet was null and void. It's a reasonably complicated argument, especially if one doesn't see it implicitely, and I have to go to the movies and dinner. Catch you later.

Last edited by blackthroatedwind : 07-21-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Flemington

Atleast in the Summer, SoCal will not be doing this stuff.Pretty much Sunny late June to mid October(boring weather,but predictable.)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Flemington

Reminds me of the Showdown Contest at Toga in 2004.They had a short contest that lasted about the last 3 weeks of the meet(because in the 1st week of the meet just about everybody got tossed in the original Toga Showdown contest.)So,anyways, in a short Showdown Contest,wins are very important(not nearly as much so in a long Showdown contest.)On the biggest Saturday of the meet,they cancelled just the last race.This is after I had a win earlier in the day.Everybody who was kicked out of the contest got back in.Anybody who had a win that day got nothing.The worst part was everybody who had a horse fail(and there were a lot)got back into the contest.Winners should win,and losers should lose.No exceptions.These people who lost 2 races of the pick 6 today should get zero,nada,nothing.They are losers.Giving them their money back is disgusting maggot waste.I am not "steamed."I have no interest at all,but losers shouldn't get refunds on tickets with 2 losers in the pick 6.Common sense should tell you this.Use common sense(instead of this b.s.)

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 07-21-2006 at 06:10 PM.