Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Idlewild Airport

Default Belmont Cancels

Done for the day. Of course my bet in the last race throws his jock at the start. Always love that. You don't even have to watch the rest of the race. (And yes the jock was fine.)
Old 07-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Del Mar

Damn I liked the 8 horse quite a bit here- Double Down Dixie. 3rd off layoff shortening up getting back on the turf. I also liked the 10 to run 2nd or possibly win.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:25 PM
oracle80

This absolutely sucks. We played the pik-6 and beat the fave in the first leg and then had the 11.40 winner. Off to a very nice start with a lot of horses on the ticket still remaining. How the hell do they pay the pik-6 now? They can't distribute the carryover can they? And we might not even break even on the consos. This is horrible.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Flemington

GOD takes even a minor whiz,and they cancelled Belmont.Don't you have atleast 3 hours of daylight left back there? Real Determined to make every effort to get that card finished..
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Newmarket

How about Grand Slam wagers, had two going. Looked like Saratoga thunderstorm weather when they ran the 5th. Just one day left to get even at Big Sandy!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Flemington

What did they do ? Did they freak out cuz they had to take a race off the turf(after people capped the p6 for turf?)
Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Del Mar

Mike-
Curious about who you used in the 6th. I liked the 8 horse and also the 10. Did you use them?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Mike-
Curious about who you used in the 6th. I liked the 8 horse and also the 10. Did you use them?
Tim we had:
6th- 1,2,7,8,9,10
7th-5
8th- 5,6,8,9
9th- 4,9

I assume we get 48 consos because thats the number of combos we had going when they cancelled. We spent 864 so its gotta pay 18 bucks just to bust even.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
GOD takes even a minor whiz,and they cancelled Belmont.Don't you have atleast 3 hours of daylight left back there? Real Determined to make every effort to get that card finished..
Scuds it was severe lightning. But I really don't see why they couldnt have waited for it to pass through. I really think they jumped the gun.
I know that they can't pay out the carryover so since tomorrow is a Saturday, and closing day of the meet so they have to distribute the whole pool, it oughta be a pretty nice pool.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Jerome Park

Not sure if anyone here is in NYC like I am but the weather has been insane.

Now, considering the turf condition already, when you add the rain that was hitting, I would love the explanation of what they were going to do about the late Pick-4 where three races were about to be taken off the turf.

I'm sorry about your Pick-6, genuinely, it's painful, but understand very clearly that you were about to have those same 48 consos, with no added carryover, hinging on 10 claimer Atouratoura winning. Hard to believe all things considered the cancellation was not in your ( and everyone's ) best interests.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Not sure if anyone here is in NYC like I am but the weather has been insane.

Now, considering the turf condition already, when you add the rain that was hitting, I would love the explanation of what they were going to do about the late Pick-4 where three races were about to be taken off the turf.

I'm sorry about your Pick-6, genuinely, it's painful, but understand very clearly that you were about to have those same 48 consos, with no added carryover, hinging on 10 claimer Atouratoura winning. Hard to believe all things considered the cancellation was not in your ( and everyone's ) best interests.
I didn't see how atouratoura could lose. Quite frankly Lukes Flash is a big time hanger, Friedman's horse always spots the field a thousand lengths, etc. WIth his tactical speed, ability to handle a wet track, and Johnny riding I really thought he couldnt lose. I even plotted the ****ing ticket so as to have what I felt were the prime contenders on both dirt and turf in the last two races, using both Buxton and Good going in the last, and going 4 deep in the 8th. I really think that we would have nailed this one.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:59 PM
TeddyRex

Don't ever remember a day at Belmont being canceled mid pack. I do remember the last race being canceled at the 2004 Travers (and what a storm, thought Christ himself was about to step out of the clouds). It happens alot at Aqueduct, but what do you expect when you run horses in the dead of winter.

I wish they would cancel some cards at Lone Star due to the heat though. Last Sunday I think it reached 107!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Jerome Park

He was a big favorite and certainly the horse to beat.

Look, we always want these things to play themselves out, but the cancellation was dramatically in your best interests. The other three races were coming off the turf ( you KNOW the riders weren't riding on the turf ) and they would have become " all " races for Pick-6 purposes.

The truth is, whether they know it or admit it, the fans benefited from the cancellation....and NYRA lost money. The Pick-4 would have become a Pick-1 with a 25% takeout. People could easily have been confused in any number of ways involving races being " all " races or simply not realizing they were off the turf.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:04 PM
oracle80

How long does it take to calculate this pik-6 payout? Are you kidding me? They still don't have the conso price up yet.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
He was a big favorite and certainly the horse to beat.

Look, we always want these things to play themselves out, but the cancellation was dramatically in your best interests. The other three races were coming off the turf ( you KNOW the riders weren't riding on the turf ) and they would have become " all " races for Pick-6 purposes.

The truth is, whether they know it or admit it, the fans benefited from the cancellation....and NYRA lost money. The Pick-4 would have become a Pick-1 with a 25% takeout. People could easily have been confused in any number of ways involving races being " all " races or simply not realizing they were off the turf.
Hey I don't want to see anyone get bbq'd in the starting gate, not even Gomez, or hurt. They did what was right. I'm not arguing that one bit. I just wish the rain could have held off. I just knew ward had to be crippled in the first leg and really thought that Pet would get loose in the mud in the 2nd leg. Whenever you get a start like that knocking off a post time fave who also had added money on him, andthen get the 4th choice out of 6 horses home also knocking off a fave with added late scratch money on her, you really feel good with 48 multiples still left on your ticket. Happens, what can you do?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:08 PM
oracle80

Complete refund on the pik-6, that is absolute bull****!!!!!!! So basically the guys who went dead in the first leg get as much back as the guys who had the first two winners, gee thanks NYRA, that is absolutely insane and atrocious. Horrible, just horrible.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Jerome Park

Yup...it was lousy luck.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
oracle80

I want to hear the explanation by these morons who have determined that its a total refund. Self serving BULL****. They know damn well that tickets hit the floor after the 2nd leg if they weren't live, many won't ever be paid. This is absolutely an outrage.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Complete refund on the pik-6, that is absolute bull****!!!!!!! So basically the guys who went dead in the first leg get as much back as the guys who had the first two winners, gee thanks NYRA, that is absolutely insane and atrocious. Horrible, just horrible.
I would guess you want to thank the State Racing and Wagering Board.

I know you're steamed, it's understandable, but I'm not sure the rule isn't the MOST fair for all concerned parties.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I want to hear the explanation by these morons who have determined that its a total refund. Self serving BULL****. They know damn well that tickets hit the floor after the 2nd leg if they weren't live, many won't ever be paid. This is absolutely an outrage.
You do know that the State, not the track, keeps the money from uncashed tickets.

I would guess, by the way, the ticket percentage on the Pick-6 is pretty low.