Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Keeneland

Default P Val

Someone was asking earlier

Jockey Patrick Valenzuela, who was excused from riding at Del Mar on Wednesday and Thursday, could be sidelined for an indefinite period due to back pain, his agent Tom Knust said.

Valenzuela was expected to see a doctor in Los Angeles on Thursday. His back problem first originated during the Santa Anita meet, then resurfaced during the Hollywood Park season. Knust said depending on the diagnosis, either rest or surgery could be the next step.

As a result, Knust has taken the book of jockey Corey Nakatani. Knust said that Valenzuela gave him the go-ahead to act as Nakatani's agent, and he expects to handle business for both riders when Valenzuela returns.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:04 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
Someone was asking earlier

Jockey Patrick Valenzuela, who was excused from riding at Del Mar on Wednesday and Thursday, could be sidelined for an indefinite period due to back pain, his agent Tom Knust said.

Valenzuela was expected to see a doctor in Los Angeles on Thursday. His back problem first originated during the Santa Anita meet, then resurfaced during the Hollywood Park season. Knust said depending on the diagnosis, either rest or surgery could be the next step.

As a result, Knust has taken the book of jockey Corey Nakatani. Knust said that Valenzuela gave him the go-ahead to act as Nakatani's agent, and he expects to handle business for both riders when Valenzuela returns.
Prayers and best wishes to Pval from this corner. I know hes screwed up many chances but hes been clean again for a while and the reason that bettors, owners and trainers keep embracing him is because despite his personal demons he goes out there each and every time(whether its a ten claimer or a grade one stakes race) and gives it his absolute all(unlike lazy no good scumbags like Arod who make 25 million a year). He also loves horses as can be witnessed by the way that he pets them after they win and rubs em all the way back to the winners circle.
This is going to be an ordeal for him because of his substance abuse and the fact that he will have to be on some pain killers after the surgery. Im quite sure thats the reason hes been putting it off so long, I'm sure hes afraid of getting painkillers back in his system and getting hooked or tthrowing off his body. I always root for anyone who gets up in the morning and tries so hard to win and give everything he or she has in the tank.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Keeneland

Oracle,
I'm with you on him. Rarely ever have I been disappointed by a ride of his. I think it must be a tough life to be at the top of your profession and not be able to celebrate it either with food or drink.
Look foward to seeing you all in 2 weeks. Man I hope the skies are clear for that w/e.
Heard from Hooves this morning (5:30am) from w/o's at Saratoga.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Del Mar

Hooves is already in Saratoga?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Del Mar

Dell, I ate breakfast at a place which is right in front of the hotel you are staying at (Courtyard). Its called Country Corner Cafe. All you have to do is walk across the street and you are there. Very good food, you will love it.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Keeneland

Gander
Hooves is there already.
We got moved (upgraded?) to the Residence Inn (also a Marriott property) so we'll have a kitchen etc. Supposed to be about the same distance to the track. I'll have no problem walking as it will be all new to me. Last and only time we were there was for just a day and I was too young to fully appreciate it.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Oaklawn

Pat is a party hardy personality and a class clown. It is very possible that with the days off he has fallin off the wagon. He has a pattern and his recent actions fall into the mold. The board of stewards are not hounding him like the last board did, so maybe he will be alright. We wish him a speedy recovery from his pain.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
Gander
Hooves is there already.
We got moved (upgraded?) to the Residence Inn (also a Marriott property) so we'll have a kitchen etc. Supposed to be about the same distance to the track. I'll have no problem walking as it will be all new to me. Last and only time we were there was for just a day and I was too young to fully appreciate it.
Tell him to email me Dell. Hes right down the road from me.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 PM
The Curragh

Mike, from my experience he is, in my opinion, in one of two situations. Hopefully, he did not fall off the wagon, but addicts are the best liars on the face of the planet, lord knows I lied every day to keep the fix rollin along.

If this is true, that he is suffering back problems, his doctor can prescribe certain pain killers that do not have the characteristics of say vicodin or perks, both of which are extremly addictive, especially for addicts in general no matter what your drug of choice is. When I went thru rehab last year I was in group with a guy who had chronic back problems. They put him on perks, and he went overboard. He ended up having to be strapped to a bed during detox coming off the perks. Last I saw him he was using these electric shock patches that he could control and he loved them. The real inherent danger is this, the most popular form of drug abuse in this country is not alcohol, crack, heroin etc.. It is prescription drugs. He will be treading on thin ice because of his past issues. The worst thing though, from my experiences, is all the free time he will have. He needs to be surrounded by a STRONG SUPPORTING CAST of people who care about him and his well being, otherwise trouble is on the horizon given his past. Free time and an addict 99 times out of 100 equals going back to their drug of choice or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Prayers and best wishes to Pval from this corner. I know hes screwed up many chances but hes been clean again for a while and the reason that bettors, owners and trainers keep embracing him is because despite his personal demons he goes out there each and every time(whether its a ten claimer or a grade one stakes race) and gives it his absolute all(unlike lazy no good scumbags like Arod who make 25 million a year). He also loves horses as can be witnessed by the way that he pets them after they win and rubs em all the way back to the winners circle.
This is going to be an ordeal for him because of his substance abuse and the fact that he will have to be on some pain killers after the surgery. Im quite sure thats the reason hes been putting it off so long, I'm sure hes afraid of getting painkillers back in his system and getting hooked or tthrowing off his body. I always root for anyone who gets up in the morning and tries so hard to win and give everything he or she has in the tank.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Oaklawn

He needs to be back at work. You are right about the free time.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Keeneland

Oracle
Gander has his number and he's staying with the host of DT, SB. Private message me if you need his cell.