Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2006, 11:03 AM
eurobounce

Default Handicapping Wind

I need some help here. My worse days often come when the wind is blowing rather hard. I just cant seem to get a grasp on a good handicapping strategy when wind is involved. Maybe the wind has psyched me out or I am missing something. Can someone(s) please help me and share their handicapping angles with me when wind is a factor.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Raysva

Default Capping the wind

I Tend To Try And Find Horses That Are Going To Be Covered Up While Running Into The Wind,for Example Down Backstreatch Sort Of Draftso Not To Be The One Cuttingthrough The Wind ,then Home Streatch With The Wind At Your Back Shake Loose And Use The Wind To Run Down Those Tired From Running Into The Wind,on The Backside .
Old 07-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

It's gotta be rough on a horse to go into one of those headwinds with a jock on their back going 35 MPH. I think the idea that there may be somewhat of a draft is true, but still, I think the best horse will win under these kinds of conditions. It's not like a change in surface where one horse would adapt differently than another. Does that make any sense?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Gulfstream Park

I think its a bigger factor in elongated sprints; for instance at Arlington, a 1 mile race is around one turn. If the wind is from the east, the horses up front will have a long run to the turn right into the teeth of the wind. Other tracks w/elongated sprints are Bel, Aqu (main not inner), Hol and CD to name a few.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
It's gotta be rough on a horse to go into one of those headwinds with a jock on their back going 35 MPH. I think the idea that there may be somewhat of a draft is true, but still, I think the best horse will win under these kinds of conditions. It's not like a change in surface where one horse would adapt differently than another. Does that make any sense?
Yeah that make sense. But I dont think the horses are going fast enough or are that aerodynamic to cause some sort of draft. I know that I want my horse on the lead turning for home with a headwind. But I really struggle with wind. But I agree the classiest horse should win.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
I think its a bigger factor in elongated sprints; for instance at Arlington, a 1 mile race is around one turn. If the wind is from the east, the horses up front will have a long run to the turn right into the teeth of the wind. Other tracks w/elongated sprints are Bel, Aqu (main not inner), Hol and CD to name a few.
These are the exact type of races I struggle with. I wish there was some formula to use to say if there is a 20 mph head win and the horse is running in an elongated sprint and the wind is from the east, the horse is really running 1 1/16 with the energy the horse has to use to run in the head wind.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Bold Brooklynite

I have the same problem with the sun.

Some horses it seems run better going towards the sun ... while others do better going away from it.

I often wonder if blinkers and shadow rolls have an effect on that. For instance ... if a horse has a single cup partially covering his right eye ... and his eye is in the sun on the backstretch ... but shaded from the sun down the stretch ... how does this affect the horse's acceleration?

Also ... if a horse is equipped with a shadow roll ... and the sun goes behind a cloud so that there are no shadows ... how does this affect his performance?

Any "sun" handicappers out there?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
I have the same problem with the sun.

Some horses it seems run better going towards the sun ... while others do better going away from it.

I often wonder if blinkers and shadow rolls have an effect on that. For instance ... if a horse has a single cup partially covering his right eye ... and his eye is in the sun on the backstretch ... but shaded from the sun down the stretch ... how does this affect the horse's acceleration?

Also ... if a horse is equipped with a shadow roll ... and the sun goes behind a cloud so that there are no shadows ... how does this affect his performance?

Any "sun" handicappers out there?
That is pretty interesting to think about. I have been a victum of a horse jumping a shadow or too. But just like driving a car, the sun can play a role.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I don't know, I was up at Penn one night where the winds were literally blowing a consistent 35-40 miles per hour. Horses would reach the stretch and start running like drunken sailors because of the winds directly in their face.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:58 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I don't know, I was up at Penn one night where the winds were literally blowing a consistent 35-40 miles per hour. Horses would reach the stretch and start running like drunken sailors because of the winds directly in their face.
I guess there is really no rhyme or reason to handicapping wind. Some horses might be able to tolerate it and some may not. I would assume horses that are "larger" are more adapt than slightly built horses.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Oh, well ...

... it's been over seven hours now ... and not one person has helped out with handicapping the sun.

I'm very surprised ... I thought the members of this forum were savvy to all aspects of the game.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Oaklawn

Wink

Quote:
Oh, well ...

... it's been over seven hours now ... and not one person has helped out with handicapping the sun.

I'm very surprised ... I thought the members of this forum were savvy to all aspects of the game.
Sunglasses my friend Sunglasses
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
Sunglasses my friend Sunglasses
For the horses ... or for me?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
For the horses ... or for me?
Made me laugh. I could just see a Baffert horse with shaded goggles on.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Woodbine

So right next to the BL for blink on there would be a T(tint)? For the wind they could design flaps on the side of the jocks helmut to be more airodynamic?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:47 PM
pgardn

Headwind down the stretch at the track I play is very important. If the horses are spread out fairly well entering the stretch, they have a tendency to stay put and not make big moves. A general trend, But this is from one track.

The mud, slop, or other addition of large amounts of moisture is what baffles me the most because every race the hoof strike of the horse in a different part of the track changes. A horse might get a good compact hoof strike on one stride, and then hit a spot where they cant push off, and then hit a spot where they dont even seem to enter the surface, just kinda slide. Very difficult that H2O mixed with sand and dirt.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Headwind down the stretch at the track I play is very important. If the horses are spread out fairly well entering the stretch, they have a tendency to stay put and not make big moves. A general trend, But this is from one track.

The mud, slop, or other addition of large amounts of moisture is what baffles me the most because every race the hoof strike of the horse in a different part of the track changes. A horse might get a good compact hoof strike on one stride, and then hit a spot where they cant push off, and then hit a spot where they dont even seem to enter the surface, just kinda slide. Very difficult that H2O mixed with sand and dirt.
Agree that slop can be very tough. Good riders know exactly where the tractor's tires compacted the surface. Look for the five path.

Wind? Depends on how severe and whether they're going with it or against.
Drafting? Don't think so.

Earlier posts have questions about sun, shadow rolls, and blinks.
To understand, you have to have some knowledge of how a horse "sees".
A shadow roll has nothing to do with the sun. It has to do with keeping the horse from looking down. Blinks are used to focus attention on a limited field of view...forward. Horses see 270 degrees around and a wide range up and down. It has to do with being a prey species. Take a look at a rabbit's occular orbit and you'll get the same idea.
Sun??? LOL! Never saw one wearing sunglasses, and hope I never do...or I'll be running for the exit so I don't pee my pants.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Agree that slop can be very tough. Good riders know exactly where the tractor's tires compacted the surface. Look for the five path.

Wind? Depends on how severe and whether they're going with it or against.
Drafting? Don't think so.

Earlier posts have questions about sun, shadow rolls, and blinks.
To understand, you have to have some knowledge of how a horse "sees".
A shadow roll has nothing to do with the sun. It has to do with keeping the horse from looking down. Blinks are used to focus attention on a limited field of view...forward. Horses see 270 degrees around and a wide range up and down. It has to do with being a prey species. Take a look at a rabbit's occular orbit and you'll get the same idea.
Sun??? LOL! Never saw one wearing sunglasses, and hope I never do...or I'll be running for the exit so I don't pee my pants.
I like to see a horse running with a shadow roll because it seems to make them hold their head lower when they run. We all know that when a horse starts to raise their head up they are having trouble breathing and they are done.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
I like to see a horse running with a shadow roll because it seems to make them hold their head lower when they run. We all know that when a horse starts to raise their head up they are having trouble breathing and they are done.
As you know ... the original purpose of a shadow roll is to keep a horse from seeing ... guess what? ... shadows!

And what causes shadows to appear? Yes ... you got it ... the sun!

So ... there is a relationship between shadow rolls and the sun ... isn't there?

I know that you know that ... but apparently some people are so dumb that they can't make the simple connection between what shadow rolls are designed to prevent ... and what causes the problem which they're preventing.

Shadow rolls and sun ... yup ... and yet some people don't seem able to make the conection.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
As you know ... the original purpose of a shadow roll is to keep a horse from seeing ... guess what? ... shadows!

And what causes shadows to appear? Yes ... you got it ... the sun!

So ... there is a relationship between shadow rolls and the sun ... isn't there?

I know that you know that ... but apparently some people are so dumb that they can't make the simple connection between what shadow rolls are designed to prevent ... and what causes the problem which they're preventing.

Shadow rolls and sun ... yup ... and yet some people don't seem able to make the conection.
So that's why it's called a shadow roll. Still like the idea of tinted goggles. A matching pair for the horse and rider.