Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Steve Byk

Default 4/26 DERBY NOTEBOOK: Uncle Mo goes well; Factor, Gusto out..

Todd Pletcher, fearing heavy weather later in the morning, made the decision to have UNCLE MO work at 5:45a this morning as opposed to the originally scheduled 8:30a. The erstwhile Derby favorite provided the scant clocking audience with a spin described by DRF's Mike Welsch and the 3 Churchill clockers as 'good', 'easy', 'solid' and 'efficient'.

With John Velazquez aboard and in company with Repole barnmate Calibrachoa, Uncle Mo set up outside his workmate, and never had to be urged as he eased by the stakes-winning sprinter in the final sixteenth after the pair had caught up to and circumvented a set of Tom Proctor 2yo's.

Uncle Mo opened the 5f effort in :13.1 before quickening to a :25.2 quarter, :37.2 three-eighths, and stopping the work distance clock in 1:01.4. Although there was no official half mile quote, Welsch caught the eighth pole call at :48.4. The Indian Charlie colt galloped out to 6f in 1:15.3 with good energy and interest, before beginning to relax.

HAND CAM VIDEO OF STRETCH/GALLOP OUT

Todd Pletcher will conduct a 9:30a news briefing to discuss the work, and based on the reaction to the drill from the professional observers, he will likely be pleased with what he got from the Juvenile Champion. More on ATR after the Q+A.

Last edited by Kasept : 04-26-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Hollywood Park

Thanks for the update!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Idlewild Airport

Sounds like he is doing better. Good to hear.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Steve Byk

With The Factor out, there is a distinct chance that Martin Garcia will replace Victor Espinoza on MIDNIGHT INTERLUDE.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Monmouth Park

After Victor's fight with Bob's wife last year I didn't think he would ever ride for him again. Garicia is his main man.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil View Post
After Victor's fight with Bob's wife last year I didn't think he would ever ride for him again. Garicia is his main man.
Not to mention Espinoza's frank opinion of the steward's ruling in the Game On Dude-Big Cap inquiry.

Still, replacing Espinoza at this point would bring nothing but bad karma, and arguably it was off the strength of Espinoza's stretch riding that Midnight Interlude even has a Derby berth to begin with.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Fairgrounds

Dominguez on Stay Thirsty.

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-der...minguez-aboard
Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Keeneland

Thanks - the hand cam was helpful. Track looks like it was floated, anybody know?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post
What a shock.

The only doubt here was whether Velazquez would ride Uncle Mo or Stay Thirsty if Uncle Mo didn't start. This is actually more of an endorsement that Uncle Mo will run in the Derby than anything else.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Idlewild Airport

I don't think Dominguez will be getting a Derby win this year.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
What a shock.

The only doubt here was whether Velazquez would ride Uncle Mo or Stay Thirsty if Uncle Mo didn't start. This is actually more of an endorsement that Uncle Mo will run in the Derby than anything else.
That's true, but they could still have a contingency plan in place giving the mount to Johnny, if Mo has a setback.

Either way, Stay Thirsty is hopeless.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Wait wait? Let's start the threads now on how bad he is......................
Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Wait wait? Let's start the threads now on how bad he is......................
Can you imagine an overhyped guy like Dominguez got the ride over BO-RAIL?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Or maybe Borel's one workout of Stay Thirsty told him enough...."Aidan can I ride your horse?"
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Whats the weather like out there on that limb?
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloWishingwell View Post
Or maybe Borel's one workout of Stay Thirsty told him enough...."Aidan can I ride your horse?"
Yeah, I'm sure that is exactly how it went down, it was Calvin's choice. I am sure Pletcher and Repole spent the entire morning trying to beg Borel to ride Stay Thirsty and Calvin instead opted to hold out for a horse that probably won't even run in the Derby. Brilliant.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Fairgrounds

Mike Smith on Twinspired.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure that is exactly how it went down, it was Calvin's choice. I am sure Pletcher and Repole spent the entire morning trying to beg Borel to ride Stay Thirsty and Calvin instead opted to hold out for a horse that probably won't even run in the Derby. Brilliant.
So you're trying to say that after talking all morning they decided on their own not to use Borel after asking him to work him out? A guy who knows a thing or two about winning this race and won last year's race for Pletcher. Instead stick to Dominguez even though not necessarily his fault didnt exactly look impressive last out. I still think Borel turned them down or possibly Stay Thirsty might scratch if they think Uncle Mo is ready.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloWishingwell View Post
So you're trying to say that after talking all morning they decided on their own not to use Borel after asking him to work him out? A guy who knows a thing or two about winning this race and won last year's race for Pletcher. Instead stick to Dominguez even though not necessarily his fault didnt exactly look impressive last out. I still think Borel turned them down or possibly Stay Thirsty might scratch if they think Uncle Mo is ready.
I am saying that Borel was never going to ride Stay Thirsty and it was certainly not his decision. Dominguez has the mount unless Uncle Mo does not start in which case Velazquez will likely get the mount. And while I have not read up on it, I will take a wild guess that if Borel worked Stay Thirsty instead of Dominguez it is probably because Borel is at Churchill this week and Dominguez is not. I think it is really funny that you think the choice was Borel's! Have to love the Botards!

Don't get me wrong, I want Borel in the race but not for the reason you do. I am salavating at the real possibility that any horse Borel rides will take the stupidest of the stupid money bet into the Derby.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
I am saying that Borel was never going to ride Stay Thirsty and it was certainly not his decision. Dominguez has the mount unless Uncle Mo does not start in which case Velazquez will likely get the mount. And while I have not read up on it, I will take a wild guess that if Borel worked Stay Thirsty instead of Dominguez it is probably because Borel is at Churchill this week and Dominguez is not. I think it is really funny that you think the choice was Borel's! Have to love the Botards!

Don't get me wrong, I want Borel in the race but not for the reason you do. I am salavating at the real possibility that any horse Borel rides will take the stupidest of the stupid money bet into the Derby.
"Love the Botards!" I want Borel in the race but not for the reason you do. Well that makes you the only one wanting him in the race. I really dont give a **** if he rides or flashes his winning smile as a commentator that day. That leaves you as the only Botard and I having no reason for him in the race. Sorry to break it to you.......you dont know everything. Pointless