Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I can't completely blame Durkin for missing Mine that Bird on the backstretch instead thinking Mr. Hot Stuff was last of all - did y'all see how far behind the winner was after the first half?
For the record, this isn't the first time he's completely missed a move like that. Pleasant Home's move in the Distaff, up the rail and then 3 wide to in front he missed until she was in front. But I couldn't hear his call from the rail so I was just happy to see the saddlenumber since the idiots at the BC can't allow colors.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Churchill Downs

They should do what del mar and Kenneland does and put transmitters on the horses to determine the positions of the horses.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM
v j stauffer

I said to Tina right after they crossed the wire. "OMG the way that race unfolded I could really have botched the call badly"
Old 05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I said to Tina right after they crossed the wire. "OMG they way that race unfolded I could really have botched the call badly"
Exactly, vic have you ever called a race with 19 horses.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
They should do what del mar and Kenneland does and put transmitters on the horses to determine the positions of the horses.
I agree, Trakus would be great for the Derby.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Exactly, vic have you ever called a race with 19 horses.
The biggest field that I've called is 17. It was a Michigan Sires Stakes at DRC.

I will say this. Many have surmised that European announcers are more talented because they regularly call fields of 20 or 25 or even more. Suggestiing that North American announcers would struggle.

IMO that's total rubbish. Kurt Becker could call 50 and not be fazed.

I feel very confident that there are many of us. Tom. Trevor, Larry, Frank, Dools, Wrona, Rodman and many others that could make excellent calls of the racing in Europe. We just haven't had the opportunity.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
For the record, this isn't the first time he's completely missed a move like that. Pleasant Home's move in the Distaff, up the rail and then 3 wide to in front he missed until she was in front. But I couldn't hear his call from the rail so I was just happy to see the saddlenumber since the idiots at the BC can't allow colors.
Similar scenario. 30-1 shot wins by 10, if you were him wouldn't you pause to make sure you had the right horse? Pleasant Home at least had the recognizable Phipps silks, but same idea.

Like I said before from what I've read and heard from him, he handicaps every race and has expectations of where to look for certain horses. When a seemingly impossible horse makes a huge move on the inside and shoots through for a convincing win, he probably wanted to make absolutely certain he had the right one (especially given the angle they come at there, you can't see the saddletowels to in fact confirm it was the #8.) Everybody in our group had the same reaction. "Who the f*ck was that?" At first I thought it was Fresian Fire, because at least that would make sense. Then it dawned on everyone that only Borel would make that move up the rail- and I'll be damned, it was.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
The biggest field that I've called is 17. It was a Michigan Sires Stakes at DRC.

I will say this. Many have surmised that European announcers are more talented because they regularly call fields of 20 or 25 or even more. Suggestiing that North American announcers would struggle.

I feel very confident that there are many of us. Tom. Trevor, Larry, Frank, Dools, Wrona, Rodman and many others that could make excellent calls of the racing in Europe. We just haven't had the opportunity.
Tell Becker to give up that NASCAR crap and call year round. He's great.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:

I think you should give it a go.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Similar scenario. 30-1 shot wins by 10, if you were him wouldn't you pause to make sure you had the right horse? Pleasant Home at least had the recognizable Phipps silks, but same idea.

Like I said before from what I've read and heard from him, he handicaps every race and has expectations of where to look for certain horses. When a seemingly impossible horse makes a huge move on the inside and shoots through for a convincing win, he probably wanted to make absolutely certain he had the right one (especially given the angle they come at there, you can't see the saddletowels to in fact confirm it was the #8.) Everybody in our group had the same reaction. "Who the f*ck was that?" At first I thought it was Fresian Fire, because at least that would make sense. Then it dawned on everyone that only Borel would make that move up the rail- and I'll be damned, it was.
Even when I realized it was Borel I still had no clue what horse it was.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Hollywood Park

Okay, I think we're hammering this one from a few different angles. My point is he missed the horse COMPLETELY, twice, not that he didn't know who it was. At some point during the last half mile of the race, don't you think he might have looked up and noticed the only horse moving forward? Whatever, 20 horses or 6, Mr Durkin is slowing down. He is too much to into the "show" of the call, rather than the call itself. Isn't that why people started jumping all over "and down the stretch they come"?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Even when I realized it was Borel I still had no clue what horse it was.

agreed.. first I said... "what just happened"... after that it was "What NUMBER is that" then "its the 8?? Who the fucl< is the 8??" after going to my DRF "Who the fucl< is Mine that Bird?"
Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
I think you should give it a go.
Put me in coach I'm ready to play!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

The entirety of Churchill Downs basically said "the 8? Who the hell is the 8?" as we all simultaneously checked on our programs.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

All due respect Vic, and you're terrific, but I think the the most underrated guy on this list is Dave Rodman. I wish he would get out of cruddy MD. and get a crack at a big time job. Listen to his Preakness call of '07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjt4SiRatB0
Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Cahokia Downs

For what it's worth I agree that Durkin is slowing down on all days, not just derby. It seemed like by the time he noted MTB being last, it was over 1/2 mile into the race. It's his style to add drama to the story and that is great when the race sets up well. The new announcer at CD was great for two days and was offering his handicapping analysis before each race on the track feed.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Oriental Park

Dont have anything to add on the Derby call but does the Churchill announcer double as the guy in those Guinness commercials

"Brilliant"

must have said it three times in the oaks call.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Sunshine Park

Default ky derby race call

I loved the race visually but it certainly wasn't Durkins best!

He didn't see the winner until he was three lengths in front. Tough conditions and all but ...the best is suppossed tobe the best
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrajf
I loved the race visually but it certainly wasn't Durkins best!

He didn't see the winner until he was three lengths in front. Tough conditions and all but ...the best is suppossed tobe the best
i think we covered this one already. lets pick on someone else like grunder or that guy from the meadows harness track
Old 05-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch
i think we covered this one already. lets pick on someone else like grunder or that guy from the meadows harness track
Or that guy from Louisiana Downs.