Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 AM
The Curragh

Default ROI Results 4/4 @ Oaklawn

The pickings for venues was a little light last week but the winning tickets weren't. Four
players filled the board and 5 winning tickets were cashed and an overall profit was made.
All of the tickets were cashed in races 8 and 9. For the second week in a row I am
posting the ROI results on a Sunday due to extreme boredom and social distancing.
What? My cat just told me that today is Tuesday. My bad. The days just meld into each
other. Maybe when April arrives things will get better. Don't know why my other cat is
laughing at me. Was it something I wrote? But I digress. Joly B takes the fourth slot with
an exacta box in the ninth worth $190. JB gets another points win and a super spot so
Oaklawn all and all was good to Joly. And he gets the unenviable task of picking next
Saturdays venue should there still be one. Cal takes third with his $18 array of winning
exacta tickets in the 9th good for $214. The number one and two spots were contested
by two Fierce competitors (really teddy bears but thats from my perspective). NJ Stinks
takes the Place spot with a $36 win bet on Finnick the Fierce good for $259. NJS had a
few other wagers spread across the card but had to settle for one trip to the cashier and
the runnerup slot. As noted in the past when the weather heats up so do the picks of
this weeks winner Roamin. Tom put his entire C note on Finnick the Fierce and when
the mutuel of $14.40 was posted official Roamin had an easy Oaklawn win. Congrats
Tom. Nicely played. Following are the unofficial results pending interference against
the scorer by Winning Impression. See you on Saturday hopefully.

WIN... Roamin... +$620.00... R 8 $100 Win---#1 $14.40 X 50... $720.00

PLACE... NJ Stinks... +$159.20... R 8: $36 to win on #1 $14.40 X 18... $259.20

SHOW... Cal828... +$114.20... R9 $11 exacta 1//4,8 $11.90 X 11... $130.90
R9 $7 exacta box 1,4,8 $11.90 X 7... $83.30

SUPER... Joly B... +$90.40... R 9: $16 Ex box: 1,4,8 $11.90 X 16... $190.40

Don Guido -$98.00

Real Quiet -$99.00

Ruffian -$100.00

Plenilune -$100.00
Old 04-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Quiet View Post
JB gets
the unenviable task of picking next
Saturdays venue should there still be one.
It was good to see that Oaklawn was kind to our ROI players last whatever day it was. Makes me think that a return to Oaklawn this Saturday could be our best choice. Some nice stakes races, no travel required, just continue to shelter in place and most of all stay safe. I'll post an official notice once the status of this weekend's racing becomes clearer.

Tom, once again you showed us how to make a single solid pick to make money on your wagers. Very well done. I think that the DQ of Winning Impression in that race was well justified. He clearly cost the overbet Answer In a couple of finishing positions.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Hawthorne

I'm sure I will pay for whining about a horse race during this pandemic but here goes (since I have nothing but time on my hands ):

1. If Winning Combination, who won the 8th race on the track at 12-1, stayed up I have a $4 exacta worth at least $240. So yes, the DQ DQ'ed me too here.

2. Finnick the Fierce ran a terrific race was clearly second best having been bothered while rallying up the rail.

3. The favorite, owned by Robert LaPenta and trained by Brad Cox, was the horse bothered when the winner drifted in on the favorite. The stewards were obviously guessing that the winner cost the favorite a better placing. I think the favorite was backing up by the time the winner drifted in. So the stewards guessed wrong to DQ the winner IMO. (You expected a different ending to this post? )
Old 04-07-2020, 11:05 AM
Hawthorne

Full disclosure:

I had $10 to win on Finnick the Fierce but I also had a $2 exacta box if the track winner stayed up.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
I'm sure I will pay for whining about a horse race during this pandemic but here goes (since I have nothing but time on my hands ):

1. If Winning Combination, who won the 8th race on the track at 12-1, stayed up I have a $4 exacta worth at least $240. So yes, the DQ DQ'ed me too here.

2. Finnick the Fierce ran a terrific race was clearly second best having been bothered while rallying up the rail.

3. The favorite, owned by Robert LaPenta and trained by Brad Cox, was the horse bothered when the winner drifted in on the favorite. The stewards were obviously guessing that the winner cost the favorite a better placing. I think the favorite was backing up by the time the winner drifted in. So the stewards guessed wrong to DQ the winner IMO. (You expected a different ending to this post? )
Hey, NJ - I've got some extra time on my hands also, so I'd like to continue the discussion of that 7th race of last Saturday, solely in the spirit of a fan talking about a very interesting race after the dust had settled.

I probably should not have used the term "clearly" in describing the DQ of Winning Impression. I was probably influenced both by trying to root Answer In home since I had him in a handicapping contest at another venue and saw how his jockey checked him abruptly shortly after Winning Impression had passed him. He certainly lost a lot of momentum and had no time to regain it. Exactly where he would have finished without the incident is tough to say. A lot was going on in deep stretch.

The betting public certainly had a different view of that race than the oddsmaker. How in the world was Answer In sent off at 1-2 from his ML odds of 3-1? Conversely, Winning Impression was an absolute overlay at 12-1 from a ML of 7-2, although perhaps with Finnick and Trev in the race, the 7-2 ML odds were a bit too low.
I've always had a peeve about morning lines that are widely divergent from how the betting public actually bets the race. The linemaker at Oaklawn never placed a favorite below 3-1 or 7-2, except for Frank's Rockette. A number of the favs on Saturday went off at odds WAAAAY below the ML - e.g. Drena's Star at 0.60-1, Answer In at 0.50-1, Cherokee Maiden at 1-1 and Maryanorginger at 1.7-1.

Finnick the Fierce had a very eventful trip himself. I thought he had been impeded by General Trev even before the W.I./A.I incident. Whether his jockey might have had legitimate grounds for an objection if he hadn't been able to pass Trev is interesting to speculate.

I've rambled enough. Now, out into the sunshine to enjoy a beautiful spring day up here.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Hawthorne

Winning Impression - not Winning Combination!

Probably says it all somehow.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Havre de Grace

I wish I had the patience that Roamin has, but I don't. I have seen the enemy and he is me. The vast majority of races that we've played this year, I have bet tris and had I stuck to that, my return would have been a lot better, but in recent weeks we've seen a parade of longshots coming in 2nd in a lot of our races so I lost faith in the tris and switched to exactas even though both of my winning plays wouldn't have cost anymore to play as tris. So very hard to get things right in horse racing. I would say there's always another race, but in this nightmare year we can't count on that.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:07 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Over the years what happened to many players I was on the losing side many times. So I will take all gifts like the one on Saturday. Finnick The Fierce was hitting the rail a few times and as far as I am concerned he deserved the win and ME TOO, lol. Hope you all are virus free, and safe. See you all Saturday
Old 04-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin42 View Post
Over the years what happened to many players I was on the losing side many times. So I will take all gifts like the one on Saturday. Finnick The Fierce was hitting the rail a few times and as far as I am concerned he deserved the win and ME TOO, lol. Hope you all are virus free, and safe. See you all Saturday
I imagine that we've all been on the winning end and losing end of DQs and lots of races where we just got nosed out. It's just part of the game. Good to see you win and I've been expecting it for a quite a while, but you've been awfully quiet. Now that you've broken through with the win, we can only hope to somehow keep you(and Miz Ruffian) from running away with the contest.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:42 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Cal828, not to worry, I have one in a row with many losses, I have to make a decent run to catch up with the losses I've had. But its great to compete with all you players. Cal828, you do pretty good yourself and a main contender. Miz Ruffian is one to keep an eye on also.