Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM
The Curragh

Default Venue: 11/24 = Daunting Decision?

VENUE DECISION FOR SATURDAY
A DAUNTING DILEMMA I KNOW
RAIN FOR AQU & CHURCHILL
SO PONDERING WHERE WE SHALL GO?

OPINIONS FOR EACH WILL BE WELCOMED
AQUEDUCT = RAINS START AT FIVE
CHURCHILL RAIN FRIDAY 7PM - SATURDAY NOON
BUT HOW WILL THE TRACK SURFACE SURVIVE?

AQUEDUCT = 2 GR-3, 1 NON GRADED
CHURCHILL = 2 GR-2 FOR 2 YEAR OLDS

DEL MAR (RAIN ALSO IN FORECAST WHICH IS GREAT NEWS)
GR-2 = {SEABISCUIT: TURF}
GR-3 = {2 YR ON TURF}

SO THERE IS THE DAUNTING DILLEMA
PLEASE LET YOUR VOICES BE KNOWN
HOPEFULLY THE DECISION WILL BE WISE
AND WE DON'T END THE DAY WITH A GROAN!

'RUFFZILLA' SHALL POST THE DECISION
ONCE THE CARDS ARE IN VIEW
BUT THE OUTCOME TRULY INFLUENCED
BY OPINIONS COMING FROM YOU!

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Del Mar

CD would be fine. If it does rain in Del Mar the turf races might be switched to the main track.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Havre de Grace

CD fine with me too, but do we ever play on Friday in anticipation of bad weather on Saturday? If we do, the G-1 Clark is on Friday and the G-2 Mrs. Revere. Not sure what the weather is like that day. App on my phone seems to indicate overcast, but not rain. However, we may have Turkey hangover.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Oriental Park

I don't believe that the weather at either CD or AQ should deter your choice. If there are showers in New York, that will most likely come late in the day and shouldn't have much of an impact. The races at the Big A stayed on the turf today, and it was rated "firm", at least as firm as it gets this time of year. My guess is that both of the turf stakes races on Saturday ought to stay on the turf. The jockeys won't like the cold weather but the horses should handle it fine.

As for CD, both of the stakes races for 2 year olds will be run on the dirt, so some overnight rain should not be a big deal.

I really don't have a strong preference between the two; would be glad to abide by your choice.

Cal, we generally don't deviate from our Saturday schedule, although I think there have been a couple of exceptions over the years (moving to a Sunday for the Queen's Plate comes to mind). I suspect that many of our players may be busy with turkey gobbling on Thursday and won't be able to adequately prepare, or might even be shopping on Black Friday, if they are brave(?) enough to fight the crowds. I would personally discourage moving to Friday.

Of greater importance, a very Happy Thanksgiving to all, and if you are traveling, please go safely.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Del Mar

JolyB, you forgot another reason besides TG day and Black Friday craziness. Folks like me will be working and besides the fact that I should be working and not playing the ponies, my work laptop blocks all racing websites.

Saturday's CD card has full races. Even with scratches, it seems there are plenty of horses to pick from in each race!

Happy ThanksLIVING to all!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenilune View Post
JolyB, you forgot another reason besides TG day and Black Friday craziness. Folks like me will be working and besides the fact that I should be working and not playing the ponies, my work laptop blocks all racing websites.
My apologies, Plen. You are absolutely correct. I'm afraid that when you are retired you tend to forget that most of the rest of the world has to work for a living.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
My apologies, Plen. You are absolutely correct. I'm afraid that when you are retired you tend to forget that most of the rest of the world has to work for a living.
My sentiments exactly, sorry ma'am, I have been on an 8 year vacation since my retirement and forget that there are people that still work.