Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Saratoga

Default Around the world with the kids from South Africa

Archie... looking good at Newmarket (according to reports), gearing up for the Champion Stakes (on the 18th).

Sun Classique... back at Newmarket now, doing well! Hopeful that she goes to Dubai (... along with de Kock kid Warsaw).

One to keep an eye on..... Alimony! Looking for a replay...

http://www.sahorseracing.com/news.asp

Lucky Find did well at Great Leighs, Royal Vintage 4th... (oh and Tiza won a G3 at the beginning of the month).

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25267

Still on track for Japan... Jay Peg, and for HK... JJ the Jet Plane!

Hope War Artist is having a nice break.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Saratoga

On Archie...

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n..._Champion.html
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Saratoga

Awww, feel better Archie.

Out of the Champion Stakes...

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...rchipenko.html
Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Saratoga

Captain's Lover to the Matriarch...

http://www.sahorseracing.com/columnist.asp?col=20
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Saratoga

We're going to Dubai!

BBR CONFIRMS DUBAI HORSE DEPARTURES

Brian Roux, of BBR Bloodstock Shipping, has announced to SAHorseracing.COM the safe departure of some of the best horses in South Africa, bound for Dubai.

Team South Africa is well represented by Mike De Kock and Herman Brown for the Dubai Racing Carnival for 2009 with a star studded list of horses.

" (I am) very happy to confirm safe loading and departure of the SA Dubai Racing Team from Capetown/Stanstead, UK today for Mike De Kock and Herman Brown," said Roux.

DE KOCK HORSES

1. Alpine Club 2004 Chestnut Filly

2. Hamlool 2004 Chestnut Gelding

3. Art of War 2004 Bay Gelding

4. Imbongi 2004 Chestnut Gelding

5. Front House 2005 Bay Filly

6. Rocks Off 2005 Brown Colt

7. J J The Jet Plane 2004 Bay Gelding

8. Hunting Tower 2002 Chestnut Gelding

9. Russian Sage 2004 Bay Colt

10. Diane’s Choice 2004 Bay Filly

11. Naples 2003 Bay Gelding

12. Quick Sand 2004 Chestnut Colt

13. Happy Spirit 2004 Chestnut Filly

14. Biarritz 2003 Bay Colt

SOLD OVERSEAS

Silver Mist 2002 Grey Gelding TO DUBAI

Omerta Bay TB Colt TO HONG KONG

BROWN HORSES

1. KINGS GAMBIT 2004 Chesnut TB Gelding

2. BOUND BY HONOUR 2003 Bay TB Gelding

3. BUCKED OFF 2004 Bay TB Gelding

4. DESERT LINKS 2003 Bay TB Gelding

5. WINTER FEVER 2004 Chesnut TB Gelding

6. GLOW STAR 2004 Chesnut TB Gelding

7. PERFECT SEASON 2004 Bay TB Gelding

8. LION'S BLOOD 2004 Chesnut TB Colt

9. GOLDEN RIVERIA 2004 Bay TB Colt

10. BLANK CHEQUE 2003 Chesnut TB Colt

11. CHARLIES ISLAND 2003 Bay TB Colt

12. STRATEGIC NEWS 2003 Chesnut TB Colt
Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Saratoga

No Chance already mentioned Zulu to De Kock but here are a few more..... all going to Dubai (!!!!!).

Macarthur
King Of Rome
Kingdom of Naples
Stubbs Art
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Saratoga

Good luck to Dancer's Daughter and Pocket Power tomorrow!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Saratoga

On Pocket Power...

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Saratoga

Oh we do TOO know who he is!

http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/sarah...ves-more-fans/
Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
pretty amazing to hear they are already making 2010 plans for Pocket Power... also got a kick out of the statement that 28 races in3 years was deemed "raced sparingly"
Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuthg
pretty amazing to hear they are already making 2010 plans for Pocket Power... also got a kick out of the statement that 28 races in3 years was deemed "raced sparingly"

Yeah that was a good one! My favorite line from the piece posted yesterday...

“Let’s hope,” Charl Pretorius wrote recently, “there will come a time again in our country when horses like this will be revered by the nation, when the mainstream media will lend the same attention to racing like they do to the piss-boring non-spectacle of cricket.”
Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Saratoga

RP...

Dancer's Daughter sidelined by injury
By Michael Clower12.05PM 19 MAR 2009

SOUTH AFRICA'S champion racemare Dancer's Daughter has suffered a splint bone injury and will miss both the Horse Chestnut Stakes at Turffontein on April 4 and the Champions Challenge there three weeks later.

Trainer Justin Snaith said on Thursday: "She knocked a splint bone on her near-fore when we worked her last Wednesday. We have been monitoring it ever since and we have now made a decision on her future plans.

"The reason that it took us so long is that she is 100 per cent sound. But we don't want to take any chances with her and so the Johannesburg campaignis off.

"We really only took her to Jo'burg to get her acclimatised and to do something with her in the Cape off-season, so everything there was a bonus.

"We feel it's not worth pushing her through the rest of the Jo'burg season, then through the Durban season, before maybe having a go at the Breeder's Cup Distaff so we are going to save her for the Durban July."

The British-bred mare dead-heated with Pocket Power in last year's Durban July and last month she defied the sceptics, who thought she would not be able to cope with Turffontein's 5,700 feet after being trained at sea level, by winning the Empress Club Stakes in impressive style.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Saratoga

Looking for a replay of Warmonger.....

By all accounts she looks like a really good girl!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Saratoga

Final Field: Gold Challenge

Sc# Horse Mass MR Draw B A T Jockey Trainer
1 POCKET POWER 58.0 121 (121) 7 A B Fayd'Herbe Mike Bass
2 OUR GIANT 58.0 115 (115) 6 B A A Marcus Charles Laird
3 BUY AND SELL 58.0 111 (111) 11 A T F Coetzee Sean Tarry
4 KAPIL 58.0 110 (110) 10 A P Strydom Stan Elley
5 IVORY TRAIL 58.0 109 (109) 2 B A A Fortune Joey Ramsden
6 BLUE TIGER 58.0 108 (108) 1 A S Randolph Mike Bass
7 THEREALSLIMSHADY 58.0 106 (106) 4 A T J Geroudis Alec Laird
8 BUSCADOR 58.0 105 (105) 12 A G Lerena Geoff Woodruff
9 LIKEITHOT 58.0 105 (105) 8 A M Byleveld Charles Laird
10 PIRATE'S GOLD 58.0 96 ( 96) 3 A S Cormack Glen Kotzen
11 LITTLEREDCORVETTE 58.0 86 ( 86) 5 A R Fourie Glen Puller
12 RIVER JETEZ 55.5 108 (108) 9 A K Neisius Mike Bass

Couplings: (1,6,12) (2,9)
Old 06-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Saratoga

Pocket Power wins.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Saratoga

Thoughts on JJ, by MDK...

http://www.mikedekockracing.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1761
Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Santa Anita

he sounds quite pissed off.

#Grand
Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
he sounds quite pissed off.
A wee bit.

Still can't believe Court Masterpiece is back!

Nice to see this one win...

Saturday June 27 2009
Newmarket 15:25 - Result
John Bovington Memorial Criterion Stakes (group 3)
£65000 added, 3yo plus, 7f, Class 1, £36900 penalty, 9 ran
Going: Good, Good to Soft in places
Winning Time: 1m 24.83s 13:50

1 9 Imbongi (SAF) 9-3 K Shea M F De Kock 5 8/1
prominent, led over 1f out, ridden out opened 4/1 £4000-£500
2 3 1¼ Huntdown (USA) 8-8 T E Durcan Saeed Suroor 3 9/1
held up, ridden and headway over 1f out, stayed on to take 2nd towards finish opened 8/1 touched 6/1
3 5 s.h Balthazaar's Gift (IRE) 9-3 I Mongan C G Cox 6 10/1
tracked leaders, ridden to chase winner entering final furlong, lost 2nd toward finish touched 8/1
4 4 2¾ Dream Eater (IRE) 9-3 t F Norton A M Balding 4 5/2 f
pulled hard, tracked leader, ridden 2f out, stayed on same pace opened 4/1 £1750-£500 (x2) £5500-£2000
5 2 ½ Court Masterpiece 9-3 G Gibbons J J Quinn 9 6/1
held up, mid-division touched 11/2
6 6 1¼ Al Qasi (IRE) 9-3 R Mullen P W Chapple-Hyam 6 5/1
led, ridden and headed over 1f out, weakened inside final furlong opened 6/1
7 7 1½ Winker Watson 9-3 b1 A McCarthy P W Chapple-Hyam 4 8/1
dwelt, held up in rear, ridden and headway over 1f out, weakened inside final furlong opened 10/1
8 1 ½ Vitznau (IRE) 9-3 R Hughes R Hannon 5 12/1
always in rear opened 16/1
9 8 ¾ Express Wish 9-8 M Hills J Noseda 5 12/1
tracked leader, ridden and every chance entrance final 2f, weakened final furlong opened 11/1

Tote Win: £4.10 Tote Place: £1.80,£2.40,£2.50
Straight Forecast: £77.72 Exacta: £41.30 Trifecta: £154.70
Swingers:1&2:£5.90, 2&3:£10.40, 1&3:£7.00
Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Saratoga

RACE 7:Grade 1 VodaCom Durban July (R3 000 000) 2200m Bend

POCKET POWER

OUR GIANT

BUY AND SELL

KAPIL

SMART BANKER

RIVER JETEZ

BIG CITY LIFE

TROPICAL EMPIRE

FOREST PATH

LIKEITHOT

ALUMINIUM

CATMANDU

THANDOLWAMI

BOUQUET-GARNI

METEOR SHOWER

THUNDERING JET

LONDON GUEST

OUTCOME

ZIRCONEUM

Pocket Power / Kapil / Zirconeum, Big City Life or Our Giant
Old 07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Saratoga

Since all the focus is on Pocket Power, thought I'd post this (... no author listed)...

http://www.vodacomdurbanjuly.co.za/rnews0913.html

KAPIL BOUNCES BACK FROM BROKEN LEG

Kapil would have seemed an unlikely runner, let alone winner, of the Vodacom Durban July back on the day in 2005 when he fractured his leg, but some three-and-a-half years later he is fancied by a few to be wearing the victor’s sash late on Saturday afternoon.

The Stan Elley-trained six-year-old Jallad gelding had won his first two starts as a juvenile but returned one morning from the training tracks extremely lame.

It was discovered that he had fractured a hind pastern.

“He had two pins inserted and then had to stay in his box for three months,” recalled Elley. “It is an operation that has a reasonably high rate of success.”

Kapil began walking after the three month box rest and was then slowly brought back into work.

"He returned to the racecourse after an eight month break 100% sound and won his first comeback race,” said Elley.

Kapil is chiefly remembered for his outstanding performance in the 2006 KZN Guineas at Greyville, in which he faced a highly regarded crop of three-year-olds that included two subsequent July winners, Eyeofthetiger and Hunting Tower.

A howling tail wind blew down the straight throughout the racemeeting that day and it seemed that frontrunners would be favoured, contrary to Kapil’s style which has always been characterised by a flying finish from well off the pace.

Garth Puller ignored the pundits and the trends of the earlier races and had Kapil in last pace turning for home at which point the horse produced one of the more memorable finishes in Greyville history, mowing them down to win by 1,25 lengths.

Kapil was then sent out favourite for the Gold Challenge at Clairwood but was beaten into second by the multiple Grade 1 winner, National Spirit.

It was in that race that Elley believed his soundness issues began.

“He pecked half-way around the turn and returned with a sore back,” said Elley. “I have a very good chiropractor who has treated his back since then.”

Currently, Kapil tends to jar up in his races. Elley said the reason is simply because of his age.

“For a Jallad he actually has good legs,” he added.

Elley keeps him to the sand in his workouts these days to protect his legs.

Kapil spent his four-year-old and part of his five-year-old years in Dubai, Hong Kong and the U.K., where he finished third in a Group 2 race in Dubai before coming fifth in the Dubai Duty Free, which at that stage was the joint-richest turf race in the world.

He has earned a cheque in every one of his six start since returning to South Africa, although he has not won any of them.

In his last race he finished just 1,25 lengths back in second to Pocket Power in the Gold Challenge over 1600m. He will face him on 5,5kg better terms in the July which makes him a huge runner on paper.

However, he is a horse with plenty of speed who is at his best over a mile and there is a doubt about him staying the 2200m of the July. Pundits seem divided on the issue.

In the J&B Met, run over 2000m, he ran on well to finish fourth despite having been baulked twice in the straight. On that evidence he might see out the 2200m and a further positive is that he switches off almost completely in the running.

Kapil was allocated an almost perfect draw of five for the July.

“I will leave the tactics to Piere Strydom,” said Elley, who added that once the July field jumps the importance of a good draw seems to vanish out of the window.

Kapil has always been a character.

“He has a very nice nature, but you have to be very alert with him as he’s playful,” explained Elley. “His groom Johnson Ngozi has learnt to sit very tight on him for the moment you relax he will try and throw you off. He can also nip when you are not expecting it. Myself and Garth (Puller) have told Piere everything he needs to know about him.”

Of the dangers on Saturday Elley said that he had always liked River Jetez and made her a huge runner at the weights, although he added that he also had “massive respect” for Pocket Power.

He didn’t believe River Jetez’s draw of 15 would be much of a problem due to the experience of Glen Hatt and it would also help her to stay out of trouble.

Elley has trained for 35 years and does not have sleepless nights before a big race anymore, realising that he has “done all he can and what happens will happen.”

He revealed an interesting statistic in that two of his most loyal owners, James Drew and Mike Fullard, who are part-owners of Kapil, have had 199 winners in their ownership careers.

What better race to get the 200th than in the Vodacom Durban July.

Awww this sucks.

RUSSIAN SAGE WILL MISS THE ARLINGTON MILLION
(from SAracing, no author)

Russian Sage unfortunately will definitely miss his engagement in the Grade 1 Arlington Million Stakes the first week of August in the United States, as a minor hoof ailment set him back after his arrival in England, confirms trainer Mike de Kock from his yard in Newmarket.

Barry Irwin said "Naturally, we are disappointed not to be able to bring the colt over for the Million, as we feel that both the 10-furlong distance and the galloping nature of the Arlington Park layout would suit him. However, we are very happy that Mike has him going the right way again and look forward to seeing him in action at York."

Russian Sage instead will make his next start on August 21 in the Group 3 Strensall Stakes going 9 furlongs at York in a race in which he carries no penalty for being a Group 1 winner.

The Champion Colt at 3 in his native South Africa and a double Grade 1 winner including the Cape of Good Hope Derby, Russian Sage ran well without winning in a pair of starts in Dubai over the winter, but he bled from both nostrils when subsequently unplaced in the Grade 1 Duty Free.

A lot of horses suffered from respiratory ailments in the United Arab Emirates over the winter because of the dust kicked up from nearby construction and Russian Sage was among many first-time bleeders on World Cup night.

De Kock, who won last weekend's Group 3 Criterion Stakes at Newmarket with another South African import in Imbongi, confirmed that the change in venue has had a dramatically beneficial impact on his horses from the desert.

"The horses in England are just so different to what they were in Dubai," he said. "I am confident we will see the best of Russian Sage there."

Russian Sage as of now has no long-term game plan, as the interruption in his training schedule has waylaid any definite schedule. "Right now, we are more interested in getting the colt back on track than in mapping out any long-term plans," Irwin said. "Right now, all options will be considered. He is owned by an international group racing men and woman that have as their ultimate goal standing him at stud. We will carefully watch and assess his run in the Strensall and then come up with a more definite game plan. We could be looking at races in the United Kingdom and Europe, a trip to the United States, or a foray to Hong Kong with a possible return to Dubai. We'll play it by ear for now."

The Group win by Imbongi last week heartened Team Valor International's racing partners, as that colt finished just behind Russian Sage when he dead-heated with Jay Peg for second in the Group 2 Jebel Hatta in Dubai. Imbongi got the better of Russian Sage when they met over a mile in the Grade 2 Guineas in Durban last year at 3. The form shown by these two colts is a great advertisement for South Africa," Irwin said. "We feel that over 9 or 10 furlongs that Russian Sage can make an impact where ever Mike runs him."

SA Racing (no author listed)...

DOUBLE BLOW FOR SHEA AS ARCHIPENKO SCRATCHED

Archipenko has been ruled out of Saturday's Coral-Eclipse.

The South African entire, a general 14-1 chance to win the Sandown showpiece, has a swollen fetlock.

Juan Nel, assistant to trainer Mike de Kock, said: "It's a race we've been targeting for a long time and it's very hard to take. We discovered the problem early on Thursday morning and it's a huge disappointment."

He added: "We haven't had a full prognosis yet, so we're a little bit in the dark in terms of when he'll be back.

"It's a huge blow, but that's racing."

Archipenko, a Group One winner in Hong Kong, was last seen in action on these shores winning the Ascot Summer Mile last July.

It is double blow for international Jockey Kevin Shea, who took the mount in England and hence misses the biggest race in Africa, the Vodacom July, a race he won last year when Dancer's Daughter deadheated with Pocket Power.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 07-02-2009 at 12:46 PM.