Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
The Curragh

Default Street Smarts

Disclaimer - Yes I am sober............................................. .....................

So I am having dinner at a local Wing and Pizza hangout this evening chillin with a couple friends playing the designated driver route munching on wings and celery (yummy) and then my ears turn to the table next to us. Nobody at our table besides me digs Horse Racing, so I am all ears listening to this cat at the table next to us talking about how "Street Smarts" got an easy trip and was givin the Derby by all the others Jocks.

He said "Street Smarts" a good 10 times tellin his buddies how the Derby went down.

Being the A Hole I can be at times, I asked this cat (who had a couple draft beers in him ) if he bet Street Smarts
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Saratoga

Nice story.

Happy T and i went to Hollywood Park on Derby day. At the next table was a real loud-mouth know-it-all, wanna-be Sopranos type and his three disciples. He pontificated, they nodded and made strange sounds in unison. All through the Woodford Reserve and the Humana or "da Human" as i guess it's known in some circles this guy went on and on about who wouldn't win.....

I swear, if this idiot said "dat dere Street Cry" one more time.....

Put my imaginary earplugs in and played the race a few different ways and didn't hit, but i had to laugh when dat dere Street Cry won.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
BansheeBreeze

LOL, reminds me of the time my friend was going ON and ON about how "Very Quiet" was going to win the Triple Crown.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Goodwood

How about that guy Smarty Pants?? Didn't he win the Derby or something?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Newmarket

Last Friday I overheard a guy at the OTB saying that the top jocks to watch for at Churchill are Berano and Lepano.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Last Friday I overheard a guy at the OTB saying that the top jocks to watch for at Churchill are Berano and Lepano.
Or at Arlington on Friday about how Tiago was a FULL to Giacomo or some crap.....

clowns....
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
BansheeBreeze

Friday this guy at the track was ranting about how he couldn't handicap the Derby because they were running it on Polytrack and none of the horses had ever run on it before. I bit my lip on that one and figured I'd just let him keep thinking that.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
LMFAO
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Santa Anita

One of the folks interviewed on tv said his pick was "Toof-less-burg"... not the same thing as Street Smarts but this was someone who was supposedly a big fan who clearly hadn't been watching anything on television or talked to anyone about the horse. It was good that Circular Quay didn't do better than he did...the announcer was mispronouncing his name but didn't have a reason to say it more than once or twice, thus annoying me less than it would've.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Sheepshead Bay

These storys are nearly as annoying as how the media has played up SS being going from "19th to 1st", totally unaware of how that is his style of running. It wasn't "amazing" that he did it, and we all know that if he was leading early he never would have had a chance...

ALostTexan
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBTHREAT
I'd have told him every derby had been run on polytrack...
Not to be confused with that polyester track.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
Not to be confused with that polyester track.
Once when Frank was talking about it on TVG he got annoyed at calling it a synthetic surface I think and basically went 'ah screw it, "all-weather"...'
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 AM
Keeneland

And the most ironic thing is .... a good portion of those people probably bet on Imawildandcrazyguy because they thought it a cool or funny name, and those were the superfecta winners ....
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts