Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2022, 10:25 PM
Jerome Park

Default Tiz the Bomb: I'll Save Rollo the Trouble....

The announcement Rollo has been waiting for....

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...nner-tiz-bomb/
Old 02-23-2022, 11:08 PM
Oriental Park

I'm glad you posted first; that way my rather inappropriate thread title isn't plastered all over the Derby Trail Forum.

McPeek Living Up to His North Irish Roots; Tries to Bomb Britain

Quote:
Trainer Ken McPeek plans to send his Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf runner-up Tiz the Bomb to Britain for the Epsom Derby on June 4, 2022, reports the Thoroughbred Racing Commentary.
There’s a big fucl<in' shock…

The only thing that would have been remotely surprising about this is if Bob Baffert also plans to send some horses for the Epsom Derby…

By the way, didn’t Tiz the Bomb pay out as the winner of the BC Juvenile Turf? Well at least the bettors were paid out like he had won…

Quote:
As a prep race, Tiz the Bomb could also start in the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket on April 30.
We’ve struck GOLD!

What a genius! As if sending this second rate son of a second rate son of a stallion that throws mainly milers to the Derby isn’t an insult enough, he’s going to use one of the country’s timeless classics as “a PREP”!! Never mind that the horse probably would prefer a straight mile instead of a mile-and-a-half over an irregular British turf course.

How come this fool doesn’t take a page out of a real trainer like Leo O’Brien’s book and TRY TO WIN an under-the-radar classic like the IRISH 2000 Guineas?

Quote:
“Tiz The Bomb won at Kentucky Downs, which is equivalent to a European turf course with the uphill and downhill,” McPeek told TRC.”
We’ve reached PLATINUM status, boys!

What Tiz The Fucl<???!!!

Kentucky Downs = Any European Course?

Yeah, and Fairplex = Belmont Park.

Quote:
“He should be able to handle the contour of Epsom.
Oh…yeah…definitely…this has all the makings of a “Cunt” Tour all right…

Quote:
“My fingers are crossed that he will be 100 per cent and ready to go at that period of time. We are long way away, but we are excited.”
Let’s just hope your lead pony is 100 per cent and ready to go, too…

Quote:
The son of Hit It A Bomb made his sophomore debut on the dirt in the Grade 3 Holy Bull at Gulfstream Park on Feb. 5, finishing seventh while beaten 20 1/4 lengths. The Equibase chart indicates that Tiz the Bomb “raced two wide and out of contention early, and had no apparent mishaps.”
Nice. I guess I misspoke when I said McPeek should try and emulate Leo O’Brien. He’s one upped him.

Fourstars Allstar didn’t even finish his last dirt race before targeting the Irish 2000 Guineas back in 1991.

Quote:
Last season, Tiz the Bomb broke his maiden in an off-the-turf contest on the dirt course at Ellis Park before traveling downstate to win the listed Kentucky Downs Juvenile Mile Stakes on the European-style grass course.
Someone’s drunk the Kool-Aid. Do these knuckleheads really think that you can just lump all European courses into a “style”?

Quote:
A winner next out on the Keeneland turf in the G2 Bourbon, Tiz the Bomb was beaten 1 1/2 lengths by Modern Games in the Breeders' Cup.
Well, what do you expect? Modern Games (IRE) won a prior start at Doncaster, which is a left-handed, even course.

So it’s equivalent to an American turf course.

Quote:
Tiz the Bomb raced last year for Phoenix Thoroughbreds. The group's founder, Amer Abdulaziz Salman, was accused of money laundering in a cryptocurrency scam. Abdulaziz has denied the allegations, but Phoenix has not raced in Britain since September of 2020 when the British Horseracing Authority froze its prize money funds.
Here we go….we have obtained WEAPONS GRADE URANIUM!

Quote:
Phoenix was listed as the colt's owner in his most recent start, the G3 Holy Bull, but Tiz the Bomb is listed in the Triple Crown nominations as being owned by McPeek's Magdalena Racing.
I guess he’s taking a page out of Marcus Vitali’s and Kirk Ziadie’s books instead of Leo O’Brien's…

Quote:
McPeek told TRC that Magdalena will be leasing Tiz the Bomb from Phoenix for both of his starts in Britain.
Yeah…this has international incident written all over it.

The BHA should invite McPeek over to Britain ahead the Prep and the Classic to personally inspect the Rowley Mile to see if it will be a suitable course to prep his leased horse on and then drive him around Tottenham corner to ensure that his lead pony can handle the tight turn during the Derby post parade.

When they drop him back off at the airport hopefully they inform that they won’t take an entry on the horse…

Of course, they might not have to go that far. There’s a good chance that McPeek will be too full of himself to figure out how to nominate to the 2000 Guineas (cutoff for entries is in less than a week’s time) and it will cost at least 25,000 pounds to enter the Derby. Not sure if he will be able to figure out the conversion rate by then (never mind cover up the paper trail of Phoenix fraud crypto-money)…
Old 02-23-2022, 11:53 PM
Jerome Park

I particularly enjoyed the lead pony allusions.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:11 AM
Oriental Park

I'm not really sure which way is funnier...watching the outcome first before his pre-race interview or vice versa.

https://youtu.be/8FTDpx0Qohw

https://twitter.com/RacingTV/status/870664150363406336

Make sure to turn the sound on the twitter...

I'm off now...
Old 02-24-2022, 07:24 AM
Keeneland

I didn’t think you could top your initial post, but the interview with McPeek and then the subsequent video has me laughing out loud at my desk.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:29 AM
Belmont Park

Glorious! Does anyone know if Ken is considering running for Congress?
Old 02-24-2022, 01:43 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I'm not really sure which way is funnier...watching the outcome first before his pre-race interview or vice versa.

https://youtu.be/8FTDpx0Qohw

https://twitter.com/RacingTV/status/870664150363406336

Make sure to turn the sound on the twitter...

I'm off now...
This is pure gold. Well done!
Old 02-26-2022, 09:32 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I didn’t think you could top your initial post, but the interview with McPeek and then the subsequent video has me laughing out loud at my desk.
The last desk you were at was in eighth grade when you were probably about 16 after being kept back a couple of times.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
The last desk you were at was in eighth grade when you were probably about 16 after being kept back a couple of times.
Everyone hates you. Weren’t you a toll booth collector?
Old 02-26-2022, 09:42 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Everyone loves me, Yes I was. I’m retired now thanks to you and Byk. Thanks for the memories.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:46 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Everyone loves me, Yes I was. I’m retired now thanks to you and Byk. Thanks for the memories.
Takes a lot brains to have people throw nickels at you, huh?
Old 03-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Oriental Park

Tiz the Bomb punches his ticket to the "classy" and "cool" Epsom Derby with a game victory in the Battaglia Memorial tonight.

Clearly begging for all of the 12 furlongs at Epsom Downs after grinding into contention 7-wide with an awkward lead change, then bearing in all the way to the rail and just holding on in a slowly run 8.5f listed race over a synthetic surface.

No word yet from the Mike Maker camp on whether the runner-up Stolen Base will seek to renew their rivalry by throwing his own hat into the ring for the British Classics after nearly taking down America's best hope for English Derby since Slewpy.

Like Tiz a Bomb, Stolen Base owns a good race over the European turf course at Kentucky Downs and was browbeat by the "purse money only" runner in the BC Juvenile Turf. On top of that, he placed in a listed stakes over Sam Houston's turf course earlier this year, so Europe's top prizes seem ripe for the pickings.

However, considering he has finished behind Tiz the Bomb in all 3 of their meetings thus far, he may be better suited to the Irish Derby...
Old 04-07-2022, 07:41 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Ive been gone for a few years but I miss the the total comedy, BRILLIANT
Old 04-07-2022, 08:14 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead View Post
Ive been gone for a few years but I miss the the total comedy, BRILLIANT
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bit of controversy if the ostracized Phoenix Thoroughbreds LLC decide they want to "unlease" the colt so they can run in their name for the Kentucky Derby.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:23 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bit of controversy if the ostracized Phoenix Thoroughbreds LLC decide they want to "unlease" the colt so they can run in their name for the Kentucky Derby.
Fighting over the 13th finisher is always funny.

At least his presence assures another year where we can hear that BS about Churchill's dirt course being kind to turf horses. Racing never runs out of fairy tales....or people eager to believe them.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:47 PM
Oriental Park

30 years ago, a horse called Dr. Devious ran in the Kentucky Derby, sitting in the back early before passing 8-9 horses including the heavy favorite Arazi to split the field.

In his next race, Dr. Devious won the Epsom Derby over the very good Virignia Kraft Payson colt St. Jovite.

In today's Kentucky Derby, a horse called Tiz the Bomb ran a similar race to Dr. Devious.

Will history repeat itself?

Quite possibly. The 3yo crop in Britain this year is a bit weak and the current favorite Luxembourg has an injury of unknown severity.

Plus, Tiz the Bomb's whipping boy, Stolen Base, won the American Turf today flattering his earlier turf/synthetic form. He also ran in the BC Juvenile Turf, a race that has surprisingly produced 2 Epsom Derby winners in just a 15-year history.