Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Saratoga

On Hali...

http://www.mickchannon.tv/news.php#642

Missed today but thrilled War Artist won!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
The Curragh

Well........... I couldn't have been much more wrong about Musir - what a performance. The mile for the first time, drawn widest of all in stall 14 and he's won EASY!

He can't have been fit at all the other week judging by that performance. SOME horse!

Very disappointed with Quartier Latin, after such good words coming from Doug Watson's mouth.

I'm kicking myself for not including Sirocco Breeze today. He was 9lbs better off with Mutheeb when not at his best behind Leahurst a few weeks ago, and it was there for all to see, but I decided to forget facts and go with how impressive Mutheeb was last time. I deserve a good kicking.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 02-18-2010, 02:53 PM
The Curragh

Well it's good to see Jamie Spencer never changing a habit of a lifetime. Giving the best horse in the race a big enough handicap to get it beaten.

I feel for Crowded House backers.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Saratoga

Good luck to Hattan tomorrow.

Won't win, won't hit the board, no idea why he's even back (or what the deal with the year off is... anyone?) but I've loved him since the Premio Roma when he was 2nd to Cherry Mix (not his best race but the first time I ever saw him) so yeah... come home safe good boy. Hope they retire you cause God knows you deserve it!

I love this.

posted by, Lord Ilsley | Wed 17th, Feb 2010 10:44

DUBAI REPORT - THE 'HOOLIGAN" HAS LANDED AND THE BOSS GETS STRANDED

YOUMZAIN arrived yesterday afternoon five weeks ahead of his seasonal reappearance in the Dubai Sheema Classic on March 27th. A veteran of four Dubai campaigns, the seven year old knows the drill inside out these days and was keen to get on with this morning which involved a gentle trot and a walk around the International Stables situated some seven furlongs from the mighty Meydan track.

Sam Hitchcott who broke Youmzain all those years ago, flew over with him and there's no finer sight than the pair of them squabbling as Sam tries to convince the horse that his way is the best way. Youmzain, as ever, totally disagrees, but they always work it out in the end, much to the amusement of the Boss who chuckled throughout the morning.

"Sam seems to know how to deal with Youmzain and with Lesley White already out here, he has two people who know his ways as they've dealt with him since he started. He just knows the score and can be a bit of a lad when he's had a couple of days off, but he'll canter tomorrow and then we'll be back in the swing of things.

"Today was just getting him out and about, he had a good trot for 15 minutes and there's no better exercise for the horse than seeing him drag Sam around the yard for half an hour or so to cool down.

"In terms of his condition, he's certainly more forward in his coat than in previous years and came out of his box like a lion. He's great, I love the spirit that defines a good horse - he's a hooligan at the moment and fitter at this stage than he's ever been."

Of a more pressing nature, RILEYSKEEPINGFAITH continues his progress into his four year old campaign after missing the entire of 2009 through a series of niggling injuries. He'll line up on Thursday in the 6 furlong handicap on the all-weather for his second start at Meydan. His reappearance saw him run far better than the bare form suggests and Mick is certainly upbeat about his progress.

"When Riley arrived he was very wooly in his coat, but he looks a different horse in two short weeks. He's put on weight and has really thrived - I wouldn't be surprised if he ran a real big race this week. He's loving life again."

HALICARNASSUS and MONTAFF accompanied Riley in a six furlong spin on the Meydan tapeta track this morning, with Halicarnassus showing his well-being after his victory last week whilst Montaff continues to please as he looks to the two mile event next week.

On a separate issue, the Boss was quick to deny any rumours that have filtered through about a slight altercation in the desert on Friday morning. Apparently, having borrowed a Toyota Yaris from the travelling head lass of a noted adversary in order to travel from the yard to watch the horses work, he took a "short cut" only to ground the chassis on the only rock for miles around. It's alleged that he then simply abandoned the car, hitched a lift to the track and got someone to tow it out for him. Upon his return to the yard, he then went on to deny any knowledge of the incident, despite several eye witnesses hearing him utter the phrases, "Drat", "Silly Me" and "Darn it".

"That's utter *******s!" He said in his defence. "Besides, it was a Toyota Camry, not a Yaris."

This website wouldn't wish to spread gossip, but let's just say that if MRC is to be referred to as "The Doctor", the car in question has links to a rival trainer that we'll call "The Veterinary".

Some fun video...

http://mickchannon.tv/
Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Saratoga

Didn't see the race but I just looked at the ERA site... was Hali pulled up???
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Didn't see the race but I just looked at the ERA site... was Hali pulled up???

NO.....HE JUST PUSH DOWN...........HIS PANTIES.

No wonder they like it hot....
Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaripeo
NO.....HE JUST PUSH DOWN...........HIS PANTIES.
I laughed.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Randwyck

Halicarnassus was pulled up, but no abnormalities found.

On a sadder note, Oasis Star went down after her race tonight and the tarp was up, from my reports...
Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Saratoga

First off i want to say I'm happy about Hali (nice comment Jaripeo and thank you, Pat)...

To paraphrase Mr. Channon "There is no easier job in racing than to ride Hali..."

Wow, Oasis Star.

A HUGE star in India and yeah, she is gone.

What a fuc**ng shame.

Oasis Star is arguably the greatest horse - male or female - to have ever graced the Indian turf.

http://www.rwitc.com/code/rwarticle.aspx?pid=1555

edit - I added Antonios to the angels thread as well...

I'm surprised his death wasn't mentioned anywhere... a(nother) big star in India.

Poor things.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 03-05-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Saratoga

Hey Pat I was wondering... do you happen to know what happened with Leahurst?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Randwyck

All I know is that he was just galloping in the last few days and there was some sort of fracture...should be fine and is being sent back to UK.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
First off i want to say I'm happy about Hali (nice comment Jaripeo and thank you, Pat)...

To paraphrase Mr. Channon "There is no easier job in racing than to ride Hali..."

Wow, Oasis Star.

A HUGE star in India and yeah, she is gone.

What a fuc**ng shame.

Oasis Star is arguably the greatest horse - male or female - to have ever graced the Indian turf.

http://www.rwitc.com/code/rwarticle.aspx?pid=1555

edit - I added Antonios to the angels thread as well...

I'm surprised his death wasn't mentioned anywhere... a(nother) big star in India.

Poor things.
What happened to Antonios?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Saratoga

I put him on the angels thread.

Heart attack, poor guy.

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...888#post622888

The Dubai race did not turn as well as one would have hoped. The project was not abandoned. Antonios was trained for his second race at the Meydan. That was not to be. Antonios began showing signs of distress. It was found that there was damage to the pelvic area. Plans were afoot to bring the Derby winner back to India and let him have an existence free from pressure and stress.

Monday morning, Farooq Rattonsey received a call. “It was heartbreaking,” he told me. “The news was that there was internal bleeding and Antonios had suffered a massive heart attack. He did not survive. Mr Shah is in Dubai. This is hard to take. He (Antonios) was so good to us.”

Thank you for the Leahurst news.