Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2006, 04:35 AM
Churchill Downs

Whoo-hoo to Court Masterpiece taking down the young'uns! I've been a backer of this horse for a bit now, too bad I'm not where I could have a bet down on him in the Sussex. As Lady of Venise proved in the US, and Araafa reiterated at Goodwood, a 3yo may dominate their own division, but until they step up against their elders, we don't really know how good they are.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Saratoga

Yeah, it was a pleasure to see him get a win.

From Sporting Life.....
(feel better, good boy).

ARAAFA LAME AFTER SUSSEX
By PA Sport Staff

Jeremy Noseda has reported that Araafa came out of last Wednesday's Sussex Stakes "slightly lame".

The trainer feels that soreness in the dual Group One winner's left fore was one of several factors behind the Mull Of Kintyre colt's sub-standard display at Glorious Goodwood.

Subsequent tests have at least indicated there are no serious injury concerns and Noseda plans to have his stable star back on the track in September.

"Unfortunately, Araafa finished slightly lame in his left fore," the trainer told his website.

"X-rays and ultrasound scans have revealed no long-term injury and he will be able to continue his campaign in either the Prix du Moulin on September 3 or the Queen Elizabeth II on September 23.

"I feel that there were a number of contributory factors in his below-par performance last Wednesday," he explained.

"Firstly, he chased a suicidal early pace. Secondly, he was totally unsuited by the track. Thirdly, he returned sore on his left fore.

"But we are eagerly looking forward to him resuming his campaign," he concluded.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Saratoga

Fifteen months...... ten races, zero wins. The last was May 5th of last year.

Good luck, Hattan.

From Racing Post...

HATTAN HEADING TO HAYDOCK
By Robert Pratt, PA Sport

Hattan could bid for his first success since last season's Chester Vase in the Petros Rose Of Lancaster Stakes at Haydock Park on Saturday.

Clive Brittain's four-year-old has on occasions been campaigned at the highest level since his victory on the Roodee in May of last year and finished eighth of nine behind David Junior in the Coral-Eclipse Stakes at Sandown in July.

But three weeks later he showed some of his old sparkle to finish a decent two-length second to Irish Derby third Best Alibi in the Skybet York Stakes.

And all being well Brittain hopes to run the son of Halling in the Group Three contest at the weekend.

"He ran a good race at York," the Newmarket trainer said. "He's certainly come right back to his best.

"I was pleased with our horse that day because I thought the ground probably was a little bit faster than he would have liked, not that we would have beaten the winner.

"He's taken his race well and he's a probable runner at Haydock.

"And if we can win a Group Three with him we are going along the right lines."
Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
six perfections

I read that Irridescence is pointed to the Arc.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by six perfections
I read that Irridescence is pointed to the Arc.
Yeah, I saw that too..... good luck with Pride in the race.

Rajeem out till the Fall..... I didn't realize the reason she'd been ruled out in the first place (infected heel).
Old 08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Saratoga

Oh yeah..... other news? IFFRAAJ to the BC.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Saratoga

Enforcer to the Juddmonte International, Hala Bek back in training, Hinterland runs on Saturday.....
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Saratoga

From Telegraph UK.....

Les Arcs Japan trip under threat
By HOTSPUR (J A McGrath)

Les Arcs, Europe's top sprinter, is in danger of missing two major races in the Far East later this year because of uncertainty surrounding jockey John Egan's application for a licence in Japan and Hong Kong.

The six-year-old is due to contest the six-furlong Sprinters Stakes at Nakayama on Oct 1 but, according to sources, Egan is unlikely to be granted a licence by the Japan Racing Association despite the fact that he has met with officials and was told to formally apply earlier this year.

It is thought that Egan's status in Hong Kong has influenced the JRA into taking a negative stance, but last night he said he had contacted his lawyers to set in motion preliminary talks that could lead to the jockey clearing his name in Hong Kong.

In 2002, Egan was arrested by officers of the Independent Commission Against Corruption investigating alleged corruption in racing, but after answering bail and eventually being given his passport back, he left the former British Territory and has not returned.

"I had answered bail, and I told the ICAC to charge me or let me go. It was costing me a fortune in legal costs to defend myself, and I had no idea how long it (the investigation) would last," Egan explained.

"I have since been in touch with the Hong Kong Jockey Club asking for a letter to vouch that my riding has never been questioned there. I'm not banned in Hong Kong, and I was never banned, so I find it hard to understand the view the Japanese are taking.

"I'd still like to think I'd get my licence in Japan. I've done nothing wrong," he added.

Meanwhile Willie McKay, the owner of Les Arcs, is calling for clarification on whether Egan will be licensed, at the same time warning that if the jockey does not get his 'ticket' then Les Arcs will not be campaigning in the Far East.

The other big race on the gelding's agenda is the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint, over six furlongs this year, at Sha Tin on Dec 10.

"If John has not been banned anywhere, then he should be permitted to ride the horse," said McKay. "If he is not granted a licence for any reason, then we will change plans for Les Arcs, it's as simple as that. We would then aim him at the Betfred Sprint Cup (at Haydock on Sept 2), and next year we would look to taking the horse to Australia for the early legs of the Global Sprint Challenge.

"It will be disappointing if he has to miss two races later this year, as the Global Sprint Challenge offers a good prize and a lot of prestige, and he is doing well in the competition," McKay added.

Following his shock victory in the Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot and the July Cup at Newmarket, Les Arcs has established a big lead in the sprinting division of the Cartier Awards - he is 40 points clear of his nearest rival - and another big-race notch on the belt would make him almost unbeatable in the category.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Saratoga

My, but they're busy these days.....

From Sporting life...

HRA SET TO CHARGE JOCKEY
By PA Sport Staff

A leading jockey has been notified by the Horseracing Regulatory Authority (HRA) that he is to be charged in connection with an investigation into alleged race-fixing, according to the Racing Post.

The well-known rider is a top Flat jockey and the report claims the HRA's investigation also involves a further three Flat jockeys and a former racecourse bookmaker.

But it is believed the investigation does not relate to the City Of London probe which has seen charges brought against 11 people, including six-times champion Kieren Fallon and weighing room colleagues Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Saratoga

Winston is the mystery man.....
Old 08-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Saratoga

From Racing Post.....

Winston to be charged
by Graham Green

ROBERT WINSTON was on Wednesday notified by the Horseracing Regulatory Authority that he is to be charged in the latest corruption case to rock British racing.

The investigation also involves three other less prominent Flat jockeys, one of whom is not currently riding, together with a former racecourse bookmaker based in the Midlands.

It is understood the HRA is planning to name the four jockeys early next week, having sent letters to either them or their legal representatives in the meantime.

It was only last month that Winston was released from bailwithout charge from the long-running investigation by City of London police into alleged race-fixing. It was as a result of that inquiry that 11 individuals, including Kieren Fallon, were charged with offences. It is understood that there is no police involvement in this matter.

Winston, who rode his 100th winner of the year at Pontefract on Wednesday, was ideally placed to win the jockeys’ championship last year until suffering an horrendous fall at Ayr which brought his campaign to a premature end and gifted the title to Jamie Spencer. During the time Winston was out he underwent several operations to rebuild his jaw.

It is understood that Winston has changed his lawyers and will now be represented by London-based Christopher Stewart-Moore, who also acts for Fallon.

The Racing Post, over the last two days, has spoken to each of the other three riders involved in the case, but all denied any knowledge of an investigation. One of the jockeys, not Winston, is believed to have made more than 200 calls to the bookmaker, who is thought to have regularly laid horses to lose on betting exchanges while also offering more generous odds than his rivals about the same horses when operating his racecourse pitch.

In June, jockeys BrianReilly and Dean Williams, together with bookmaker and former owner Owen Churchill, were informed they face a series of charges linked to the laying of ten horses in a 52-day period between December 2004 and February last year.

Both this, and the new case, bear similarities to the Gary Carter affair which resulted in the former champion apprentice and Group 1-winning rider being warned off for five years.

Winston, who was involved in a fall at Pontefract on Wednesday, could not be contacted for a comment on Wednesday night.

Winston gave up his rides at Haydock on Thursday after hurting his leg in a three-horse pile-up.

He is reported to be stiff and sore after being brought down on Packers Hill when Roclette fell about three furlongs out in the Polar Ford Van Centre Maiden Stakes.

However, Winston plans to make a return to action at Newmarket's evening meeting on Friday for three rides before taking part in the Shergar Cup at Ascot on Saturday.

"He'll be back tomorrow night, I should think," said his agent Richard Hale.

"He hurt his leg and he got a bang on the head. He's OK, but the reason he's not riding is because of his leg. It's a bit sore so he's having some physio."
Old 08-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Saratoga

If anyone watches the Apache Cat race, can you please give a visual?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Saratoga

From Foxsports AU.....

Racing To Win in track mishap
By Ray Thomas

August 24, 2006 A CLOUD hangs over the participation of Doncaster Handicap winner Racing To Win in the Warwick Stakes at randwick on Saturday after he was involved in a freak accident at trackwork yesterday morning.

Three horses, including Racing To Win and promising stayer Sepia, stumbled and fell in separate incidents when a drain gave way around the 800-metres mark on the cinders trotting track.

Two trackwork riders were also injured.

Racing To Win, the third favourite for the Cox Plate, will be inspected again this morning after removing some skin from his off-fore knee.

Trainer John O'Shea yesterday hoped the gelding would still take his place in the Group II feature, but he said he would act in the best interests of the horse.

"He's got a bit of wear and tear on him but I don't think it will keep him out of Saturday's race," O'Shea said.

"He's been inspected a few times already and I have notified the stewards, who will inspect him on Friday."

Racing To Win spent some time recovering from the fall at the beach yesterday, and O'Shea said the horse appeared to have suffered no harm from the incident.

The Graeme Rogerson-trained Sepia was the first horse involved in the remarkable incident when he was working on the cinders track about 5.30am.

The ground gave way as the horse walked over the concealed drain, leaving a hole in the middle of the track.

About half an hour later, Racing To Win stumbled as he stepped over the same spot on the track.

A third horse, trained by Anthony Cummings, also put a foot in the same hole, but it and Sepia were unharmed.

"Sepia was trotting around on the dirt and he put his foot down and it gave way underneath him and he fell over," Rogerson said.

"Thank goodness he fell over because if he didn't he might have broken his leg.

"You wouldn't believe that two more horses could do it, too."
Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
If anyone watches the Apache Cat race, can you please give a visual?

Thanks.
I never saw this post, but he looked his same old self....

Just a little short for the race. And without blinkers he even looked crazier with that white mask he has. Looks like he has filled out quite a bit.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
I never saw this post, but he looked his same old self....

Just a little short for the race. And without blinkers he even looked crazier with that white mask he has. Looks like he has filled out quite a bit.
Ha ha, great description. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Saratoga

Sheikh Maktoum's son buys West Virginia
- Mike Welsch, DRF

West Virginia, among the 27 nominees to the Woodward, has been purchased privately by Sheikh Rajid al-Maktoum, the son of Godolphin owner Sheikh Mohammed al-Maktoum, trainer Todd Pletcher confirmed Friday. Sheik Rajid is also the owner of Henny Hughes, the odds-on favorite for Saturday's Grade 1 King's Bishop Handicap.

West Virginia, a New York-bred son of Tomorrows Cat, was previously owned by R. Mary Zuckerman. Pletcher said the 5-year-old will remain in his barn and be pointed for the Grade 2 Brooklyn Handicap on Sept. 16, then the Empire Classic for New York-breds on Oct. 21.

Pletcher said no terms of the sale were disclosed.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Saratoga

Gallops report from Racing Post.....

Sixties Icon in rude health ahead of Leger bid
by Tony Elves

SIXTIES ICON staked his claim for the Ladbrokes St Leger with a smooth success in the Gordon Stakes at Goodwood and, with the race now 13 days away, it was time for some serious work on Racecourse Side Saturday morning.

The soft ground conditions on the Across the Flat gallop appeared made to measure for the Galileo colt and he looked in rude form as he went around six lengths clear of two companions under Mick Denaro.

His preparation appears to be going like clockwork and there will be few, if any, better-bred for the final Classic than the Jeremy Noseda-trained three-year-old, who has been the subject of some significant price cuts for the York race in recent days.

Stablemate Soldier’s Tale hasn’t been seen out since finishing fourth in the July Cup last year, but has been building up steadily in hiswork and looked in good order when going on from his lead horse.

Araafa (Paul Morris) had a rare off-day in the Sussex Stakes but looked more his usual self as he went well with his companion. Targets like the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes will be looming large in his trainer's mind.

The Cambridge Road polytrack was the venue for Ouija Board’s latest work assignment and the ultra game mare flowed in pleasing style for Chris Hinson as she went three or four lengths clear of her lead horse.

Ed Dunlop will let his stable star tell him when she is ready to fire, with the Irish Champion Stakes and Prix Vermeille the contests under consideration, especially the former. Court Masterpiece appears to have come out of his Sussex Stakes success in great order, and he looked in good form when striding on in company with Tabadul.

Nidhaal has yet to add to her score this year but the Observatory filly looked in great trim when working well with Majestic Halo.

Michael Bell was up the Racecourse Side straight with his team, and Flying Childers candidate Hoh Mike worked well with King’s Bastion.

The Fitzroy House trainer is targeting seven-time winner Red Evie at the Matron Stakes at Leopardstown on September 9, and she moved well for Georgina Bell in company with usual work-day partner Redeye Special.

John Gosden will be looking to re-introduce Sleeping Indian in the near future and he looked in good shape when moving better than Iceman in their spin together.

James Fanshawe was another trainer on Racecourse Side and Font (Jamie Spencer) caught the eye when working nicely in company with Cesare and one other.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Saratoga

One to keep an eye on.....

From Sporting Life.....

WELL-BRED GWYN OFF THE MARK
By PA Sport Staff

Aidan O'Brien and Kieren Fallon teamed up to enjoy success with Nell Gwyn in the Irish Stallion Farms European Breeders Fund Fillies Maiden at Tralee.

The Danehill juvenile has a lot to live up to on the racecourse - being a full-sister to the brilliant Rock Of Gibraltar - but today's cosy victory suggests she has at least inherited some of that ability.

Fallon ensured she was always prominent in the one-mile contest and despite having to nudge her along with half a mile still to run, he always looked to have matters in hand.

The pair swung into the straight in second place and when Fallon asked Nell Gwyn to go about her business she soon found her stride and only had to be pushed out to record a pleasing success.

Lady Shanghai (4-1) and Potion (16-1) dead-heated for second.

William Hill installed the winner as a 33-1 chance for next year's 1000 Guineas.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Saratoga

Retirement possible for Soviet Song.....
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Saratoga

Musket wins!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-32343,00.html