Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Saratoga

Default Darjina Vs. the boys

Thrilled she's now going to the Prix du Moulin instead of the Matron.

Which boys will she be beating.... anyone know? Too lazy to go and find it.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 PM
The Curragh

I'm not sure, but her trainer was on AtTheRaces this morning talking about her and Mandesha.

From ATR website.......

Darjina, winner of the French 1000 Guineas, will tackle the colts for the first time in Sunday's Prix du Moulin at Longchamp.

Alain de Royer-Dupre's charge was also entered in the Matron Stakes at Leopardstown on Saturday but connections preferred to stay closer to home.

"She stays in France. It was complicated to travel to Ireland so we think it's better to try in France but it will be difficult," said Royer-Dupre.

"It will be her first time against the colts and older horses but we have to try."

Darjina suffered defeat on easy ground in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot but bounced back to winning form in better conditions in the Prix d'Astarte.

"I think she prefers good to firm or good but there was a little bit of soft at Deauville in the Astarte," Royer-Dupre told At The Races.

"I think she will have the right ground at Longchamp on Sunday though. I think she has (improved) from the Astarte. She was a bit fresh there and she looks better for the run."

Royer-Dupre is eyeing a step up in trip for Darjina later in the season but would not be keen on pursuing a Breeders' Cup win.

"We could go to the Opera after Sunday if she is well and the ground is good," he added.

"I don't think (she will go for the Breeders' Cup) as it is very complicated to travel. We will take it step by step, go for the Moulin and Opera and see after that."

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
The Curragh

Just been told that Gorgeous George is a possible for this race.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
Just been told that Gorgeous George is a possible for this race.
Afraid of Maraahel?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Afraid of Maraahel?
No, they just want to keep him and Dylan apart from the time being.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Saratoga

Oh my God this is a nice field.....

Ramonti in good shape for Moulin clash

by Desmond Stoneham and Tony O'Hehir

RAMONTI will head to the Prix du Moulin on Sunday in peak form after a positive final workout in Newmarket on Wednesday ahead of his clash with George Washington and three other Classic winners at Longchamp.

Godolphin's find of the season is aiming for a thirdsuccessive victory at the highest level, but faces fierce competition not only from last season's champion miler but also his Ballydoyle stablemate Astronomer Royal (French 2,000 Guineas), Darjina (French 1,000 Guineas), and Golden Titus (Italian 2,000 Guineas).

Godolphin enjoyed a confidence booster on Wednesday when Echo Of Light, ridden by Frankie Dettori, won the Group 3 Strensall Stakes in track record time at York.

Racing manager Simon Crisford said: “Ramonti definitely runs in the Moulin onSunday. He's in good form and a had a good blow this morning. This race has always been the plan since he won the Sussex Stakes.”

George Washington's trainer Aidan O'Brien on Wednesday revealed his intention to add Archipenko to the field.

Since flopping as a leading fancy for the Derby, Archipenko has had mixed luck. He was one of two high-profile pacemakers in the Eclipse who hared off and were then restrained in a bid to help George Washington beat the Derby winner Authorized, whose own pacesetter Champery was left out in front as a result.

O'Brien has also declared Astronomer Royal for the €228,560 contest. The colt knows Longchamp well having picked up the Poule d'Essai des Poulains over the course and distance and returned to France in July to run fourth in the Group 1 Prix Jean Prat.

O'Brien said: “George Washington and Astronomer Royal will run in the Prix du Moulin and it is almost certain that we will supplement Archipenko for the race. We haven't finalised riding plans just yet.”

Darjina won the Poule d'Essai des Pouliches over the course and distance in May and most recently the Group 1 Prix d'Astarte over the straight mile at Deauville.

Her trainer Alain de Royer-Dupre said on Wednesday: “I am extremely pleased with the filly. It will be her first time against the colts and older horses but we have to try. I think she prefers good to firm or good but there was a little bit of soft at Deauville in the Astarte.

“I think she will have the right ground at Longchamp on Sunday though. I think she has improved from the Astarte. She was a bit fresh there and she looks better for the run.”

Royer-Dupre will also run Linngari, a five-year-old Group 2 winner at Nad Al Sheba who then ran down the field in the Champions Mile at Sha Tin.

“I've had him in my stable for two and a half months and I think he will need the run,” said Royer-Dupre.

Pascal Bary will field the Niarchos Family's Holocene who ran on well to take second place behind Manduro in the Jacquesle Marois after a break of three months.

The Niarchos Family's racing manager Alan Cooper said on Wednesday: “The colt has thrived since his second in the Marois and we are expecting him to run well on Sunday.”

Turtle Bowl was a close third to Ramonti in the Queen Anne, in which George Washington was a fast-finishing fourth, and he takes up the challenge again.

The five-year-old was third in the Marois but did have a foot problem just before the race.
His trainer Francois Rohaut said on Wednesday: “He has recovered well from the race and his feet are better. The horse is in great shape and I hope there is no rain before the race.”

The Italian colt Golden Titus won the Prix Parioli (Italian 2,000 Guineas) and was then third behind Lawman inthe Jean Prat.

The going at Longchamp on Wednesday was 3.5 or soft but drying and there is no rain forecast until Sunday.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 AM
The Curragh

Still confident that Darjina will beat the boys?

If George can get his act together (which so far he hasn't) i think he will win, but he is an enigma these days and you couldn't be sure what he is going to do.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
Still confident that Darjina will beat the boys?

If George can get his act together (which so far he hasn't) i think he will win, but he is an enigma these days and you couldn't be sure what he is going to do.
You know, not as confident with (oh shut up!) Turtle Bowl in the race. Okay and i didn't realize a few others were entered.

That said, yeah... I think she can win. i wouldn't bet my life on it but she's my pick.

Love Georgie to death but I don't think he hits the board here.

Darjina with Ramonti and Turtle Bowl in either order.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Saratoga

Screw it...

Darjina / Turtle Bowl / Ramonti
Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM
The Curragh

George is the interesting one without doubt. I think he either wins or doesn't hit the board. I think it will be one or the other for him from now one.

The Eclipse form is working out quite well, which is a boost for him.

He wouldn't want sof ground though, which is where Ramonti comes in, who seems to be able to handle any ground. Darjina is another who wouldn't want really soft ground. I know in the UK we are expecting a hot weekend, so i would imagine it to being dry in France, too.

I will probably miss the race as i will be travelling home around thhe time the race is run

anyway.....

George / Ramonti / Darjina

Old 09-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Saratoga

You're leaving out Turtle boy?

Madness.....
Old 09-06-2007, 03:46 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
You're leaving out Turtle boy?

Madness.....
Don't worry, i did ask him first and he said he understands

So he said he will finish fourth for me

I tried speaking to George, but all i got back was "**** off", he really is a charming horse.

There was a language barrier between me and Ramonti, my Italian isn't too good, i think he said something about Pasta, but i couldn't be sure

Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Saratoga

Did you see the picture of George in Racing post today?

Oh my God i've never seen such a pissy expression!

By the way, I need to report you as I'm italian and your coments were.....

As far as Ramonti, maybe my little lamb Rakti can translate?

edit - Turtle will hit the board. This is absolute.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:24 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Did you see the picture of George in Racing post today?

Oh my God i've never seen such a pissy expression!

By the way, I need to report you as I'm italian and your coments were.....

As far as Ramonti, maybe my little lamb Rakti can translate?

edit - Turtle will hit the board. This is absolute.

George is just a pissy horse, he always has been. If he doesn't want to do something, he won't do it........ no way.

Haha, why do you think i said it Rakti, a translator?? Rakti would play tricks and tell him to be naughty like he was.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Santa Anita

superb field for this, it looks like the race of the weekend.. George to finally realise that he is a racehorse again and beat the very gallant Ramonti!!!

#Grand
Old 09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Saratoga

King Jock is entered earlier in the day.....

Just thought I'd mention it and yes i AM rooting for him.

I've forgiven him.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Saratoga

Darjina wins!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Saratoga

Girls rule!

Racing Post.....

Darjina eclipses the colts to take Moulin honours

by PA Sport staff

FLYING filly Darjina comfortably landed the Qatar Prix du Moulin at Longchamp, beating Ramonti and George Washington in the process.

Alain de Royer-Dupre's three-year-old had won the French 1,000 Guineas andthe Prix d'Astarte earlier in the season, but this was her first time against the colts.

However, it did not seem to make much difference as Christophe Soumillon was never far from the pace-setting Archipenko and the race was over as a contest when she hit the front a furlong out.

Frankie Dettori was content to sit just off the Ballydoyle pacemaker on Godolphin's dual Group 1 winner Ramonti, while Kieren Fallon was much further back on George Washington.
Dettori made his bid for home two furlongs out but Soumillon refused to panic and bided his time.

The Princess Zahra Aga Khan-owned runner then quickened up, to which Ramonti had no answer, and George Washington came all too late to claim third place.

Earlier, Dettori landed the Group 3 Qatar Prix La Rochette aboard the John Gosden-trained juvenile Young Pretender, swooping with a well-timed run to grab victory from the Andre Fabre-trained Shediak.

edit - King Jock was 2nd in the earlier race.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 09-09-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Saratoga

Replay.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7syanKGRaFc
Old 09-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Girls rule!

Racing Post.....

Darjina eclipses the colts to take Moulin honours

by PA Sport staff

FLYING filly Darjina comfortably landed the Qatar Prix du Moulin at Longchamp, beating Ramonti and George Washington in the process.

Alain de Royer-Dupre's three-year-old had won the French 1,000 Guineas andthe Prix d'Astarte earlier in the season, but this was her first time against the colts.

However, it did not seem to make much difference as Christophe Soumillon was never far from the pace-setting Archipenko and the race was over as a contest when she hit the front a furlong out.

Frankie Dettori was content to sit just off the Ballydoyle pacemaker on Godolphin's dual Group 1 winner Ramonti, while Kieren Fallon was much further back on George Washington.
Dettori made his bid for home two furlongs out but Soumillon refused to panic and bided his time.

The Princess Zahra Aga Khan-owned runner then quickened up, to which Ramonti had no answer, and George Washington came all too late to claim third place.

Earlier, Dettori landed the Group 3 Qatar Prix La Rochette aboard the John Gosden-trained juvenile Young Pretender, swooping with a well-timed run to grab victory from the Andre Fabre-trained Shediak.

edit - King Jock was 2nd in the earlier race.
sweet. good for the gal!