Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Gulfstream Park

[quote=NoChanceToDance]He's a big, scopey horse. I don't think he's appreciate really firm ground, like they have in America.

I'm sure it's not going to be firm in Jersey in October
Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscount26

I'm sure it's not going to be firm in Jersey in October
Well, when you call turf good, it is more like good to firm for us. Also, if you think it could be soft, forget about seeing Dylan Thomas there.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
Well, when you call turf good, it is more like good to firm for us. Also, if you think it could be soft, forget about seeing Dylan Thomas there.
Being English I'd say it's probably like rock at the moment, but there is some rain acoming
Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 PM
The Curragh

From RP........

EXCELLENT ART is on schedule to join Arc hero Dylan Thomas on Breeders' Cup duty on October 27, with trainer Aidan O'Brien on Wednesday indicating that his plans for the Monmouth Park extravaganza are likely to centre on the pair.

O'Brien said: “It is looking as if we will have two runners at the Breeders Cup - Dylan Thomas in the Turf and Excellent Art in the Mile. Both horses came out of their recent races in good form.

“We haven't finalised plans just yet but they might be our only runners at the meeting. At this stage it looks as if we might not have a two-year-old runner.”

Dylan Thomas brought his Group 1 haul to six at Longchamp on Sunday and will be attempting to give O'Brien his third win in the Turf, which he won with High Chaparral in 2002 and again a year later when the same horse dead-heated with Johar at Santa Anita.

Excellent Art, the St James's Palace Stakes winner, went on to be a fast finishing second behind Ramonti in the Sussex Stakes and last time out was beaten half a length by the Godolphin star in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot last month.

William Hill make Excellent Art a 5-1 second favourite for the Mile behind stablemate and Champion Stakes-bound George Washington, who is 7-2 joint favourite with Nobiz Like Shobiz.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Santa Anita

If Spencer takes the mount, he'll be the unluckiest horse of the BC... Scary how good we predicted what would happen at Ascot.... EA has alot of speed and if he lays up closer than usual, he'll win it.... 2 runners for AP, 2 winners..

#Grand
Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Santa Anita

not many look like they are on their way to Monmouth. Godolphin with just DCat (and only in the Dirt Mile!), APOB with 2 (They really should send Peeping Fawn!), Passage of Time, Red Rocks.. Fabre might send one or two (i think Satwa is going as well!), but as the article below says, it could be just single figures from euro raiders. However, we could still likely get 2 wins..

DISCREET CAT is likely to be Godolphin's only runner at the Breeders' Cup – signalling the possibility of a much reduced European challenge at this year's meeting.

With neither top miler Ramonti nor new team member Creachadoir making the trip to the US and Aidan O'Brien set to field just two runners, the international team at Monmouth Park could be one of its smallest ever, despite the meeting's expansion to two days this year.

The lowest turnout by Europe was in 1997, when nine horses travelled to Hollywood Park, but the number of participants from the continent could again be in single figures with Filly & Mare Turf challenger Passage Of Time and Red Rocks, bidding for a repeat win in the Turf, among the few other horses committed to running.

Ramonti, who picked up his third Group 1 prize of the year in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes, is likely to wait for the Hong Kong International meeting.

Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford said: “We have to enter on Monday but Ramonti will not go for the Breeders' Cup. “He will get his entries in Hong Kong. We don't think he is going to be ideally suited by the track at Monmouth Park and he deserves a bit of a break. He may well run in the mile and a quarter race in Hong Kong rather than the Mile.

“Discreet Cat is heading towards the Breeders' Cup Mile Dirt. He has come out of his last race in good order, so from that point of view we are happy with him.

“Obviously he has got to put that running well behind him in his next race, buthe's going forward at the moment.

We're going to make some plans next week for Creachadoir, but he won't be going to the Breeders' Cup.”

The stable's star two-year-old Rio De La Plata is still being considered for next weekend's Darley Dewhurst Stakes following his latest victory in the Prix Jean Luc Lagardere.

“He has come out of the race in France very well and we will see how he is in the next week,” Crisford added.

-------
oh and all Breeders Cup races (well the main ones) priced up here.. 7/4 Dylan!!!

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-rac...g/breeders-cup

#Grand
Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM
The Curragh

Peeping Fawn has gone over the top. That's why they decided to call it a season with her the other week.

I think Dylan and Excellent Art will both win.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Santa Anita

well EA mightnt if everyones fav jockey's onboard..

im seriously thinking of taking 20-1 on My Typhoon. Shes guaranteed a place in the field and if she recaptures her mid summer form, she aint a 20-1 shot..

#Grand
Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
well EA mightnt if everyones fav jockey's onboard..

im seriously thinking of taking 20-1 on My Typhoon. Shes guaranteed a place in the field and if she recaptures her mid summer form, she aint a 20-1 shot..
Does she still hold the record for being the world's most expensive foal purchase?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Does she still hold the record for being the world's most expensive foal purchase?
could well be.. money well spent though.. G1 winner to join a family of G1 winners.. got to see her one morning in Saratoga and is a real looker..

#Grand
Old 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
could well be.. money well spent though.. G1 winner to join a family of G1 winners.. got to see her one morning in Saratoga and is a real looker..
She made something like 1.2million as a foal.......... now i'm no expert but surely that is a HUGE gamble paying that much for a foal. Especially a filly.

Fair play to them, though.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
She made something like 1.2million as a foal.......... now i'm no expert but surely that is a HUGE gamble paying that much for a foal. Especially a filly.

Fair play to them, though.
Foaled May 7, 2002.
$2,942,730 yearling, TATDEC'02
Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
Foaled May 7, 2002.
$2,942,730 yearling, TATDEC'02
Well, that's wrong. If it was when she was sold as a yearling, it wouldn't have been at the December sales. Especially as she was foaled in 2002, as well

By the way, i am close to blindness after seeing your avatar

Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
not many look like they are on their way to Monmouth. Godolphin with just DCat (and only in the Dirt Mile!), APOB with 2 (They really should send Peeping Fawn!), Passage of Time, Red Rocks.. Fabre might send one or two (i think Satwa is going as well!), but as the article below says, it could be just single figures from euro raiders. However, we could still likely get 2 wins..

DISCREET CAT is likely to be Godolphin's only runner at the Breeders' Cup – signalling the possibility of a much reduced European challenge at this year's meeting.

With neither top miler Ramonti nor new team member Creachadoir making the trip to the US and Aidan O'Brien set to field just two runners, the international team at Monmouth Park could be one of its smallest ever, despite the meeting's expansion to two days this year.

The lowest turnout by Europe was in 1997, when nine horses travelled to Hollywood Park, but the number of participants from the continent could again be in single figures with Filly & Mare Turf challenger Passage Of Time and Red Rocks, bidding for a repeat win in the Turf, among the few other horses committed to running.

Ramonti, who picked up his third Group 1 prize of the year in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes, is likely to wait for the Hong Kong International meeting.

Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford said: “We have to enter on Monday but Ramonti will not go for the Breeders' Cup. “He will get his entries in Hong Kong. We don't think he is going to be ideally suited by the track at Monmouth Park and he deserves a bit of a break. He may well run in the mile and a quarter race in Hong Kong rather than the Mile.

“Discreet Cat is heading towards the Breeders' Cup Mile Dirt. He has come out of his last race in good order, so from that point of view we are happy with him.

“Obviously he has got to put that running well behind him in his next race, buthe's going forward at the moment.

We're going to make some plans next week for Creachadoir, but he won't be going to the Breeders' Cup.”

The stable's star two-year-old Rio De La Plata is still being considered for next weekend's Darley Dewhurst Stakes following his latest victory in the Prix Jean Luc Lagardere.

“He has come out of the race in France very well and we will see how he is in the next week,” Crisford added.

-------
oh and all Breeders Cup races (well the main ones) priced up here.. 7/4 Dylan!!!

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-rac...g/breeders-cup

In real terms easily the lowest European turnout for the Breeders' Cup because back in 1997 there were only 2 Turf races.

I'm sure at the start of the year most people would have predicted a near record contingent.

Remains to be seen how many British/Irish fans decide no to make the trip. Return airfares to the US were still cheap for the end of next week, a couple of weeks ago, selling for around $450 but they'd rise the next week because of half-term but a vastly reduced number of people from abroad isn't good news.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
The Curragh

In all fairness we have had a pretty bad year as far as racing is concerned. Not a great bunch of 3yos. Only a couple of older horses that have excelled. It doesn't surprise me that the europeans might have single figures over at the BC. All of out top horses have either finished for the year, injured or retired.

I think that could be something that we will see quite a bit in the future.

Next year will be interesting because it is on a synthetic surface, but on the other hand it is a very long flight to LA. That will be in the back of many trainers minds.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
In all fairness we have had a pretty bad year as far as racing is concerned. Not a great bunch of 3yos. Only a couple of older horses that have excelled. It doesn't surprise me that the europeans might have single figures over at the BC. All of out top horses have either finished for the year, injured or retired.

I think that could be something that we will see quite a bit in the future.

Next year will be interesting because it is on a synthetic surface, but on the other hand it is a very long flight to LA. That will be in the back of many trainers minds.
But a shorter flight for the Asian horses. Will be interesting to see who shows up next year and how much the cushion track favors the foreign horses.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
But a shorter flight for the Asian horses. Will be interesting to see who shows up next year and how much the cushion track favors the foreign horses.
I quite think there will be plenty of Asian horses over for Santa Anita next year. No doubt. I think they wanted to send a few this year, but they thought the flight to Jersey was a touch too far.

I'm yet to watch that much racing on cushion track, it won't favour the euro horses as much as Poly.... but i still think it will favour them more than the American horses. However, there is over a year to go, and a lot can change between now and then.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
The Curragh

Passage Of Time not going......

by Racing Post staff

PASSAGE OF TIME will stay at home for the Emirates Champion Stakes a week on Saturday rather than contest the Breeders' Cup a week later.

Trainer Henry Cecil nominated the Filly & Mare Turf as an end-of-seasontarget for the Musidora winner some time ago but that now looks to be off the agenda.

“We thought that she had had quite a disjointed year and it might be too much to ask of her to go to America,” said owner Khalid Abdullah's racing manager Teddy Grimthorpe.

“She is going to be kept in training next year and even though the Breeders' Cup is very close to our hearts, we think we have a very good chance of winning the Champion.”
The Dansili filly was sent off favourite for the Oaks in June, won by her stablemate Light Shift, but was treated for a throat abscess following that reverse.

Passage Of Time made her long-awaited comeback in the Prix Vermeille at Longchamp, where she finished an encouraging third.

Grimthorpe added: “The Breeders' Cup will no doubt be a target for next year and if there was a hiccup, there is still a chance that she could go this year.”

Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Cahokia Downs

The European team is down to a maximum of 8-which includes Discreet Cat.

Dylan Thomas
Red Rocks
Excellent Art
Jeremy
Simply Perfect
Rver Proud
Timarwa
Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogabrit
The European team is down to a maximum of 8-which includes Discreet Cat.

Dylan Thomas
Red Rocks
Excellent Art
Jeremy
Simply Perfect
Rver Proud
Timarwa
You are counting yourself?