Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_
Best Gift to NZ:
http://www.nzracingnews.co.nz/news-a...rns-to-nz.html

Paul O'Sullivan has sent him to his brother Lance.
OH ONE OF MY FAVORITE HORSES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hysterical every time he got hurt (and there were a few times).

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Santa Anita

Do jockeys count?

Quote:
Ford takes up NZ challenge
Warwick Barr
Monday, 24 September 2007

Royal Ascot winning jockey Jay Ford will base himself in New Zealand until some normality is restored to Sydney racing.

Ford will leave for New Zealand on Thursday and has already picked up rides at a meeting there on Saturday. “I’m not too sure how long I will be going for,” the rider of international sprinter Takeover Target said. “It could be indefinite until we see what is happening with racing in Sydney.”

Ford, pictured, who has travelled the globe with Takeover Target, said he was looking forward to the challenge of riding in New Zealand for the first time. “Basically I’m treating the trip as a working holiday but it should be good experience.

“My manager [Bryan Haskins] has spoken to a few trainers and I’m hoping to ride some trackwork over there so there are a lot of positives about going over.

“Here it is getting to the stage where I have just been sitting around with nothing to do and waiting so it will be good to get back into the swing of things.”
Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_
Do jockeys count?
Course they do!

West Wind to Godolphin...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Saratoga

I love this boy.....

US youngster Etched joins Godolphin for DIRC

Etched, formerly with Darley, will now race in the Godolphin blue at the 2008 DIRC.

Unbeaten American juvenile Etched has joined Godolphin and will race at the 2008 Dubai International Racing Carnival.

The winner of the Grade 3 Nashua Stakes will be shipped to Dubai in early December to prepare for his three-year-old season.

Etched will be transferred from Darley and the UAE 2,000 Guineas and UAE Derby are likely to be on the agenda.

“Hopefully, he’ll do well in that festival over there,” trainer Kiaran McLaughlin told Daily Racing Form.

“He’s 2 for 2; we’ll hope for the best. He’s a difficult horse. Hopefully he keeps his head together.

“He’s not straightforward, that’s the big question. He’s just a little tricky to train.”
Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Haradasun joins AOB and Ballydoyle to race in Europe next year.

Possible Breeders Cup plans.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
I love this boy.....

US youngster Etched joins Godolphin for DIRC

Etched, formerly with Darley, will now race in the Godolphin blue at the 2008 DIRC.

Unbeaten American juvenile Etched has joined Godolphin and will race at the 2008 Dubai International Racing Carnival.

The winner of the Grade 3 Nashua Stakes will be shipped to Dubai in early December to prepare for his three-year-old season.

Etched will be transferred from Darley and the UAE 2,000 Guineas and UAE Derby are likely to be on the agenda.

“Hopefully, he’ll do well in that festival over there,” trainer Kiaran McLaughlin told Daily Racing Form.

“He’s 2 for 2; we’ll hope for the best. He’s a difficult horse. Hopefully he keeps his head together.

“He’s not straightforward, that’s the big question. He’s just a little tricky to train.”
Another potentially very nice horse for them to ruin.

All of a sudden everyone is scrubbing him from their mythical note pads. So sad when this happens.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 AM
The Curragh

Dalvina to Motion.

She was due to have her last run for Ed Dunlop at Aquaduct yesterday, but the card got called off.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
Haradasun joins AOB and Ballydoyle to race in Europe next year.

Possible Breeders Cup plans.
I love it.... cant wait to see him next year..

#Grand
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Santa Anita

Haradasun's a very high-class miler, if he's kept to that sort of distance he should have a great season in Europe.

Certainly up to BC Mile class I would have thought.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Santa Anita

He was certainly a bit sore after the race, not sure if he was actually pulled up. May well have been.

But apparently he's been thoroughly checked and there's nothing obviously wrong, so he should be fine after some time off.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Saratoga

UAE press.....

Sheikh Mohammed gains four stellar American mares

With a determination to build up Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum’s American breeding program, bloodstock advisor John Ferguson bought four Grade 1-winning fillies and mares Sunday at the Fasig-Tipton November mixed selected sale.

The quartet represents the very highest end of the market as the first, second, fourth and fifth most expensive offerings in the sale.

Leading the way was 2006 Breeders’ Cup Distaff (Gr.1) winner Round Pond, a five-year-old daughter of Awesome Again out of the Trempolino mare Gift of Dance, who is a half sister to Grade/Group 1 winners Pennekamp, Nasr el Arab and Black Minnaloushe. The winner of seven of 13 career starts with earnings of US$1,998,700, Round Pond also triumphed in the 2005 Acorn Stakes (Gr.1).

“We’re delighted to have her,” Ferguson said. “In past years, maybe we were concentrating more on mares that performed on the turf. But now, Darley America is a very important part of our future. Sheikh Mohammed feels very strongly that we should support our American breeding operation.”

Ferguson also bought two-time Grade 1 winner Octave, a three-year-old daughter of Unbridled’s Song who finished an onrushing third in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff at Monmouth Park on October 27.

“It’s a real possibility she will remain in training,” Ferguson said of Octave, who had been campaigned by Starlight Stable and Donald Lucarelli. “She ran so well in the Breeders’ Cup, and Sheikh Mohammed was watching and commented on it. She was naturally a filly of great interest to us.”

Octave has won four of 13 starts and placed in all her other races while earning $1,660,934 under the supervision of trainer Todd Pletcher.

Ferguson also signed tickets for Indy Five Hundred, a Grade 1 winner on the turf by A.P. Indy who is in foal to Kingmambo, and Asi Siempre, a five-year-old daughter of El Prado who won stakes on turf and synthetic surfaces, including the 2006 Juddmonte Spinster Stakes (Gr.1) over Keeneland’s Polytrack.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Saratoga

Simon (Crisford ) Says.....

"Schiaparelli (who Godolphin just bought) will arrive in Dubai shortly and then he'll be aimed at the Sheema Classic and other racesafter that,” he said. “He's a nice horse and he‘s done exceptionally well in Germany – let's hope he can now move on to the international stage.”
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Saratoga

Gladiatorus to Godolphin!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
The Curragh

So much for reducing the numbers of horses they have in training

What a joke.

Goodbye racing, hello an uncompetitive sport.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance

Goodbye racing, hello an uncompetitive sport.
They can compete against each other!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Saratoga

RP.....

New Approach is all Darley's

by Brian Fleming

NEW APPROACH, 9-4 favourite with sponsors Stan James to win next year's 2,000 Guineas, has been bought outright by Darley and will carry new colours next season.

Confirming the purchase of the season's leading juvenile and in another sign of Sheikh Mohammed's determination to strengthen the stallion prospects for his breeding operation, Darley spokesman John Ferguson said: “I can confirm we have purchased the other 50 per cent of New Approach and Darley now own the horse outright.

“He will run in the colours of Her Royal Highness Princess Haya next year and will be kept in training with Jim Bolger.”

A 50 per cent stake in the unbeaten Galileo colt had been acquired by Darley before he registered his second Group 2 success in the Dewhurst last month for Jackie and Jim Bolger, in a race coincidentally sponsored by Sheikh Mohammed.

Bolger expressed his satisfaction with the sale.

“I'm delighted to have recently concluded the deal with Darley and am very happy to be training him for the coming 12 months,” said the Coolcullen trainer.

“The 2,000 Guineas is his early season target and these days he's doing light exercise and is out in the paddock with his pony and generally enjoying life. We're all looking forward to next year.”

Regal Flush, last sighted when a close fourth to Lucarno in the St Leger at Doncaster in September, has left Sir Michael Stoute's yard after being purchased by Godolphin.

Formerly owned by Cheveley Park Stud, Regal Flush wasbeaten only two lengths in the final domestic Classic, for which he was supplemented in the week before the race.

A winner of three of his nine starts, the son of Sakhee had previously run out a convincing winner of the valuable Old Borough Cup at Haydock.

Simon Crisford, racing manager to Godolphin, said: “Regal Flush has joined our team and will be transferred from Newmarket to Dubai shortly.

“He won't be campaigned over the winter, but plans beyond that are undecided.”

Crisford also revealed that the high-class French colt Sagara, third to Dylan Thomas in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe last time, had also been added to the team.

He added: “Sagara has also recently joined us from France and plans for him will be sorted out shortly.”
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
The Curragh

It's becoming a joke.

Slowly but surely they are ruining a sport. Their bloodstock operation is slowly ruining horseracing, and their training operation ruins the racehorses. So much for Rio De La Plata being the "real deal", surely this just cements the fact Rio isn't up to this class.

They say they have the best breeding operation in the world..... well, why don't they use it?? That is the biggest joke of all.

At least he hasn't gone to the racehorse ruining factory, i suppose.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Santa Anita

if you inspect their purchases today, its not actually that big.. OK New Approach is, but he already had a half share in him, but the 2 others if you look at their form are nothing special. They could develop into lovely horses, but all Sagara has won is a maiden and been beaten in all his group efforts so far.. and Regal Flush is essentially a stayer and Coolmore have at least 3 stayers that are better than him.

Schiaparelli is the one that catches the eye among their recent purchases. Thye get things right with him and he could be a right monster..

#Grand
Old 11-27-2007, 02:13 PM
TierceSurprise

Well when you own a huge stallion operation, you of course would want to try and buy the best so that if they turn out to be good, you have the stranglehold of the breed rights. Darley have 2 studs here in Australia, with i think about 20 stallions between the 2?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TierceSurprise
Well when you own a huge stallion operation, you of course would want to try and buy the best so that if they turn out to be good, you have the stranglehold of the breed rights. Darley have 2 studs here in Australia, with i think about 20 stallions between the 2?
Ofcourse, but it's doing the sport no good at all. Soon enough they will competing against themselves and nobody else.

They always go on about how they have the best stallions and home bred mares in the business, so why the need to buy everyone elses? None of their home breds are ever their stable stars (not for some years now), their breeding operation stinks, their training methods also stink. Hence the reason they need to buy other horses in training. Other people do all of the work, and then they take the credit.

That isn't how it should be.

Brock, you say that the extra 50% share isn't a big deal..... but it is. From now on, it will have nothing to do with the Bolger camp where the horse runs. If the Sheikh wants a clear way for another of his horses in the Guineas, this fella won't even line up. That is what i don't like. The Sheikh gets to call the shots now...... a nasty thought.

Soon we will see group 1 races with horses either all trained by godolphin or all owned by Sheikh Mohammed, and as soon as one of them wins.... he will have done enough and will be packing him off to stud.

Even Coolmore won't be able to keep up with the money they are willing to spend before long, and yet Aidan O'Brien (who doesn't even train in Britain) is able to win the British trainers title. What does that tell you?

Godolphin are MASSIVE underachievers, even though they have the most money and apparently have the best breeding operation and they buy everyone elses good horses. Anyone with half a brain and see that they cannot run a business or train racehorses.

They "said" they were going to cut down on the horses they trained, which meant they had to cut many jobs...... so far i have seen no sign of them cutting down on the horses they train. Sure, they sold a few, but they have bought more than they have sold. So all they have done is put people out of work.

Sorry for the rant, but it really upsets me that they can continue to ruin racing like they are doing and will soon do in America.