Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Oriental Park

Default Medina' reminds Author of Mescaline Trip

MEDINA’ SHOWS SPIRIT, HEART IN LEWIS VICTORY

Quote:
Move over, Authentic.
He doesn't need to move over, he's already retired. Had the older horse Eclipse at his mercy even if he only started 3 or 4 times but he was "worth too much to keep running" or whatever the euphemism is.

Quote:
In a performance even more surreal than Authentic’s Kentucky Derby triumph...
Was Authentic's Derby surreal? I remember it being a decimated field--thanks to his own trainer who ruined about half a dozen colts during the winter/spring/summer, even got one scratched in the paddock--and I remember Authentic being handed the race while setting the pace untouched throughout, easily repelling the challenge of Tiz The Law who in retrospect was in decline.

Or maybe it was surreal because the author of this filth was on psychotropics or possessed by the Ground of Being or something?

Quote:
Medina Spirit upstaged Bob Baffert’s newly minted Horse of the Year Saturday, staring defeat in the eye down the homestretch and refusing to blink, holding off two pursuers through the last quarter mile to win the Robert B. Lewis Stakes in a stretch run for the ages.
WTF is this guy talking about? In what fantasy world are we comparing Medina Spirit to Authentic? I guess I can understand evoking the latter's name when discussing Life is Good, who is by the same sire and has the same race record as Authentic up to this point. And it in no way overshadowed the HOY announcement as far as I can tell.

As for "holding off two pursuers" doesn't it say everything that you can't even name them? Why? Because neither one (nor Medina Spirit) had ever won a stakes race up to this point. Not only that, but did you happen to notice Mr. Author that those two "pursuers" solidly bumped each other at the 1/8 pole, effectively handing the race back to Medina Spirit, who looked atrocious on the wrong lead coming around the final turn?

Or were you buzzed again on 'shrooms or Infused with the Holy Spirit?

Quote:
It wasn’t Jaipur and Bill Shoemaker and Ridan and Manuel Ycaza going neck and neck for a mile and a quarter in the 1962 Travers, Jaipur on the outside eventually winning by a nose, but the three-horse battle down the lane in the Lewis will do until the next thing comes along.
Yeah...No. A near 60-year-old race that featured 2 top class colts that dueled from start to finish in no way was reminiscent of this 3-pronged battle of attrition between a handful of maiden special weight winners.

And if you actually did your job properly, you would be alluding to past great SA Derby prep races of the past, such as the great 3-horse stretch duel between Dinard, Apollo, and Best Pal in 1991 or the 1994 San Felipe when champion Brocco slugged it out with Hollywood Futurity winner Valiant Nature only to get up-ended by the unheralded Soul of the Matter in deep stretch.

But no, you instead time-traveled back across decades and the continental United States and ended up in upstate NY in the '60s.

Let me guess, you volunteered for MK-ULTRA, dropped acid, and became One with the Creator?

Quote:
(Aside to readers: Although it’s in black and white and not in high definition, it’s worth going on google to watch the ’62 Travers and hear announcer Fred Capossela’s distinctive, halting, staccato, call. Comedian Robert Klein does a classic impression of ‘Cappy’ who when asked by his wife what he wants for dinner, responds with, ‘I’ll have Caesar salad first, roast beef second, mashed potatoes third, peas and carrots fourth . . . ).”
Nah, forget all that dinner stuff...you're article reminds me of that scene in Taxi Driver when Travis Bickle buys all those hand cannons from that one dude who afterwards offers him "dope, grass, hash, coke, mescaline, downers, uppers, amphetamines..."

My guess is your response was: "How much for everything?"

The rest of this garbage is just your typical GOAT puff piece. Although this gem shows that you aren't shy about sharing your stash:

“He was gutty as could be, showed some grit, and that’s what you want to see,” Baffert said Sunday morning. “He’s got game. He beat a good field and the California horses (on the Triple Crown trail) are pretty strong.”

If true, I guess many of them are still unraced at this point?
Old 02-01-2021, 03:31 PM
Jerome Park

So that race didn't remind you of the 1962 Travers?

Though, honestly, who can pass up the opportunity to mention Manny Ycaza?
Old 02-01-2021, 05:51 PM
Oriental Park

lol thanks for the laughs
Old 02-01-2021, 10:13 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Wow. Two Dinard references in two days.

Also, there will be no Soul of the Matter slander allowed. How many horses have wins against two BC Classic winners (Concern and Alphabet Soup) on their resume? And he finished only 1/2 length behind a third (Cigar) in Dubai while beating the Classic runner-up L'Carriere by a ton.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine