Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Saratoga

Oh ed did he do it?

I just ran home to change and am so bummed about Polanski being scratched again but this news? Well this makes it all better and oh the Silent one!!!!!

Keep having a fantastic time and thanks for the updates!!!!!!!! Cannot wait to watch replays.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Santa Anita

He sure did! Even better than last time. That's three G2 wins in his last four starts now, and he's the 3-1 Derby favourite.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Saratoga

Hahahaha brilliant!

Very very happy now and cannot wait to come home and see the race.

So exciting!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Saratoga

That was seriously so awesome I can't even speak!!!!!

... and nice and surprising run from Lucky Feather haha!

Was holding my breath for Rising Romance there at the end...what a brave girl.

Poor Blizzard looks like he got knocked about there at the start.

Okay have not seen the other replays yet but will on and off throughout the day.

Chambord looked fine, didn't he? I mean there doesn't seem to be any problem with him after that disappointing run last out.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
Beautiful, hot day here at Ellerslie. After two races so far, I have just two words: SILENT ACHIEVER! That was so amazing, under a huge weight.
Whoa great race!!!!!

Spectacular finish!

Is there any word on Mosquito? Poor thing.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Santa Anita

http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing...om-colic-atack He's tough! Just like he is on the racetrack.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing...om-colic-atack He's tough! Just like he is on the racetrack.
Great news!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Santa Anita

Also, just saw your post on Shaune Ritchie's comments about the Lowland Stakes-Derby clash. It's totally true - makes no sense to have them on the same day.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Santa Anita

Now let's look at the Avondale Guineas 1-2-3.

PUCCINI
colt
Encosta de Lago – Miss Opera (half-brother to six-time G1 winner Sir Slick)

Owner: Monovale Farm (no Derby wins)
Trainer: Peter and Jacob McKay (no Derby wins)
Rider: Michael Walker (Military Move 2010)

Not sold at auction; retained by the breeders.

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 13:4-1-3

Stakes races:
1st Great Northern Guineas (G2)
1st Waikato Guineas (G2)
1st Avondale Guineas (G2)
3rd Champagne Stakes (L, 2yo)
4th New Zealand 2000 Guineas (G1)
4th Levin Classic (G1)
5th Matamata Slipper (L, 2yo)

He took eight starts to clear maidens, but since then his record is four wins from six starts, with two G1 fourths. Any thoughts of his Great Northern Guineas win being a fluke have been destroyed by brilliant wins in the Waikato and Avondale Guineas, dominating from in front after a rocky trip up to and around the first turn. His performances along the road to the Derby have been unbelievable, and he towers over his opposition in terms of what he’s achieved so far. The rightful and deserving favourite for NZ’s greatest race.

Odds: opened at 30-1; 17-1 after GN Guineas; 8-1 after Waikato Guineas; now 3-1f.

RISING ROMANCE
filly
Ekraar – Post Romance (Ekraar is the sire of 2013 Derby winner Habibi, as well as other G1-winning females Shez Sinsational and Ekstreme)

Owner: John Carter, Brian Carter and Ross Powell (no Derby wins)
Trainer: Donna and Dean Logan (Habibi 2013)
Rider: Michael Coleman (Cut The Cake 2003, Xcellent 2004)

Not sold at auction; retained by the breeders.

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 7:3-1-1

Stakes races:
1st Royal Stakes (G2)
1st Trevor Eagle Memorial (L)
2nd Avondale Guineas (G2)
3rd Eight Carat Classic (G2)

Since her shock win as a 35-1 longshot in the Trevor Eagle, Rising Romance has just got better and better with every race. She dominated in the Royal Stakes, and then, after a six-week break, came back with a strong-closing second in the Avondale Guineas. She looks like the only horse out of that race with the potential to turn the tables on Puccini in the Derby. It’s deja vu – an Ekraar filly, trained by the Logans, running a solid race in the Avondale and about to peak in the Derby. Can she follow in Habibi’s footsteps? The Logans would become the first trainers to win the Derby back-to-back since Mike Moroney in 2003-4.

Odds: opened at 40-1; 5-1f after Royal Stakes; now 4-1 second-favourite.

GLORIOUS LAD
gelding
Falkirk – Luscious Lass

Owner: K Lau, S Fung, S Wong and D Chan (no Derby wins)
Trainer: Shaune Ritchie (Military Move 2010)
Rider: Mark du Plessis

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 7:3-2-1

Stakes races:
2nd Wellington Stakes (G3)
3rd Avondale Guineas (G2)
4th Waikato Guineas (G2)

One of the most consistent horses of this year’s 3yo crop, Glorious Lad has never finished further back than fourth – and that fourth in the Waikato Guineas was arguably unlucky. And you have to take notice when Shaune Ritchie, trainer of Derby winner Military Move and Oaks winners Keep The Peace and Artistic, says he’s “the most exciting 3-year-old I’ve ever had”. Finished solidly in the Avondale Guineas last weekend. But Falkirk is a speed sire, and there are doubts about Glorious Lad at a mile and a half. There’s only one way to find out, and that’s on Derby day.

Odds: opened at 27-1; 11-1 on Jan 12; 6-1 second-favourite after Waikato Guineas; now 7-1 third-favourite.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Saratoga

Fantastic write ups, ed!!!!!

Such an exciting time of year.

Good news...

Veyron back in work

20 February 2014, 9:40 a.m.

Five-time Group One winner Veyron returned to light work on Wednesday morning.

... and as if that weren't good enough good luck to THE HOMBRE on Saturday and wow that is some field on Sunday! Head is spinning! (Would be amazing to see Final Touch win though).

(... AND g/l to The Grinner on Monday! Will be away for a couple of days so have to get all this in just incase).
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Saratoga

Poor guy. Hope he makes it.

Mosquito fighting for Survival

21 February 2014, 9:06 a.m.

The Donna and Dean Logan-trained Mosquito continues to battle for his life at Veterinary Associates in Takanini.

The five-year-old son of Golan fell ill on the way to Ellerslie on Saturday, suffering severe colic.

"It was decided today that he needed an operation," said an emotional Donna Logan.

"He went into surgery this morning and they found a tumour obstructing his intestine. The tumour was very close to his aorta but they have managed to get it out."

Vets have told Logan that Mosquito has a 50-60% chance of surviving.

NZ Racing Desk

https://www.nzracing.co.nz/News/1231...-Survival.aspx
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Jerome Park

I'm a big fan of his too.. hope he pulls through.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Saratoga

Cannot be upset at The Hombre's run cause wow, well worth it to see Antonio Lombardo FINALLY win one!

Outstanding!

edit - Will finish catching up and watch Touche, Lauren Tate, Nashville et al later!

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 02-22-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Santa Anita

Yeah, poor Mosquito. Really hope he makes it. Just an awesome horse.

Great racing yesterday! Yeah, Antonio was brilliant - 33-1 odds, would you believe? Just shows how long it's been since he last won one, I guess!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Santa Anita

BLIZZARD
gelding
Any Suggestion – Deune

Owner: McVean Racing Ltd, A Moore, C & L Betts, A Gore, D & P Fullerton, W A & N M Bishop
Trainer: Jeff McVean (Leica Guv 2001) & Emma-Lee Browne
Rider: Opie Bosson (no Derby wins)

$35,000 purchase at the National Yearling Sale.

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 10:1-2-0

Stakes races:
2nd Championship Stakes (G2)
6th Waikato Guineas (G2)
7th Avondale Guineas (G2)

Finished powerfully into second place, just a head behind Show The World, in the G2 Championship Stakes on Jan 1. His last two races haven’t been as good – beaten by 5.1 lengths and 7.6 lengths – but the way he finishes seems like he’s got the stamina to still be going strongly at the end of the gruelling 2400m of the Derby. He may not have the class of some of the others, but he could outlast them. It’s hard to see him winning, but he could definitely place.

Odds: opened at 40-1; now 17-1.

DELAGO’S SECRET
gelding
Encosta de Lago – Divine Secret

Owner: R S Baulcomb & J B Struthers (no Derby wins)
Trainer: Roger James (Tidal Light 1986, Roysyn 1995, Zonda 1997, Hades 1999, Silent Achiever 2012)
Rider: NOT CONFIRMED

$180,000 purchase at the National Yearling Sale.

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 7:2-1-1

Stakes races:
9th Avondale Guineas (G2)

The definition of a late-developer. This guy was a maiden until Jan 17. He added a second win on the Waikato Sprint undercard on Feb 8, propelling him into the top 18 and into a whole lot of fans’ lists of Derby picks. His reputation was dented the following week when he finished ninth, 8.4 lengths behind Puccini, in the Avondale Guineas. But he should possibly be forgiven for that failure. Five-time Derby-winning trainer Roger James usually spaces his horses’ races out, and agonised over the decision to run this gelding twice in a week. But he decided he needed to, because the horse needed a run around two turns before the Derby. That seven-day turnaround must have been a shock to the system for the horse, whose other races have been far more evenly spaced. Don’t be surprised if he runs a far better race in the Derby than he did in the Avondale Guineas. It’s worth noting, though, that Vinnie Colgan – who rode Delago’s Secret in his last two races – has opted to ride Stand Your Ground in the Derby.

Odds: opened at 80-1; now 20-1.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Santa Anita

Actually, ignore the above - Delago's Secret is out of the Derby! Withdrawn this morning by Roger James. It sounds like he doesn't think the horse is ready for a race like that and needs time to develop and mature. Brave decision and a big example of putting the horse first. Great trainer. Maybe he'll get his sixth NZ Derby next year.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Santa Anita

HABITUAL OFFENDER
gelding
Guillotine – Ascot Isle

Owner: M Wyborn & R Peel-Walker (no Derby wins)
Trainer: Mike Moroney (Great Command 1996, Cut The Cake 2003, Xcellent 2004) and Chad Ormsby
Rider: Craig Grylls (no Derby wins)

$100,000 purchase at the National Yearling Sale.

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 5:2-0-0

Stakes races:
6th Great Northern Guineas (G2)

A latecomer who only forced his way into the Derby field with an Ellerslie win on Feb 15. That was his first race over further than a mile, and this gelding was in his element. He was strong and tough and highly impressive. He may have only just made it into the field, but he looks like a powerful runner who’s peaking at the right time. This is a huge step up in class, but he might be a surprise package.

Odds: 20-1

THORN PASS
gelding
Thorn Park – En Passant (Thorn Park sired 2011 Derby hero Jimmy Choux)

Owner: Go Racing Syndicate
Trainer: Lisa Latta (no Derby wins)
Rider: NOT CONFIRMED

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 8:2-2-0

Stakes races:
7th Levin Classic (G1)
10th Avondale Guineas (G2)

When he’s good, this Thorn Park gelding is seriously good. His wins at Otaki and Awapuni were stunning. But in between those wins, and since, he’s fallen way short of that level. It’s hard to know what you’re going to get from him. But his A game could make him a factor in the Derby.

Odds: 20-1

STAND YOUR GROUND
gelding
Coats Choice – Cruella

Owner: A Bradley, D R Frampton, A M Goodwin, J E Harman & W M Woods (no Derby wins)
Trainer: Donna & Dean Logan (Habibi 2013)
Rider: Vinnie Colgan (Roysyn 1995, Zonda 1997, Hades 1999, Redoute’s Dancer 2007, Habibi 2013)

$62,000 purchase at the National Yearling Sale.

(Starts:1st-2nd-3rd): 9-1-1-3

No stakes races

Having done all his racing in much lower grades, Stand Your Ground faces a mountainous step up in class for his tilt at the Derby. But his performances in his last few starts have been excellent. He was third to subsequent Waikato Guineas runner-up Colonel Carerra at Ellerslie, then won strongly at Ellerslie, then had another good third at Ellerslie. The only blot on that form line is his last start, when he finished 11th of 12, but he never had any room to move at any point down the home stretch and never had the chance to accelerate. Another big thing in Stand Your Ground’s favour is Vinnie Colgan, five-time Derby winner, who has picked him as his 2014 Derby mount.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Santa Anita

I hope Rising Romance or Stand Your Ground give the Logans something to smile about in the Derby after the sad loss of Mosquito today.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
HABITUAL OFFENDER
gelding
Guillotine – Ascot Isle.
Nice to see so many of his kids (and I love all their names although Chop Chop has to be my favorite).

Quote:
Actually, ignore the above - Delago's Secret is out of the Derby! Withdrawn this morning by Roger James. It sounds like he doesn't think the horse is ready for a race like that and needs time to develop and mature. Brave decision and a big example of putting the horse first. Great trainer. Maybe he'll get his sixth NZ Derby next year.
Good for him!

Quote:
I hope Rising Romance or Stand Your Ground give the Logans something to smile about in the Derby after the sad loss of Mosquito today.
Hope so too.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Saratoga

Have a very bad flu but just had a realization that the Derby is THIS weekend, not next (I'm an idiot).

Ed is Spellbinder the favorite? Puccini?

Is there a race for the not-quite-good-enough-for the-Derby types like my poor Lucky Feather?

Do you have a longshot pick or are you sticking with one of the many deserving favorites?

OR is it still too early?

Exciting!