Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Gulfstream Park

Default Authorized

Just saw this, and thought I would post it for all.

Authorized in tip-top shape
By HOTSPUR (J A McGrath)
Last Updated: 1:04am BST 17/08/2007

Authorized, Frankie Dettori's Derby winner, is back in top form if reports of his work on Newmarket's Limekilns yesterday are an accurate guide. The colt now has the chance to establish his reputation as a 'special' three-year-old, against older opposition at York on Tuesday.

"I'm absolutely thrilled with his latest piece of work, as was Frankie," trainer Peter Chapple-Hyam reported. "He felt the horse was back in the same form he was for the Derby. That was ideal," he added.

Authorized is scheduled to meet the hardy Aidan O'Brien-trained four-year-old Dylan Thomas and another seasoned campaigner, Sir Michael Stoute's Notnowcato, in the Juddmonte International, which could well prove a pivotal race in deciding the true merit of the respective generations this year.

advertisement
Although he was beaten in the Coral-Eclipse at Sandown Park, Authorized was caught on the opposite side of the course to Notnowcato, and it would have been a more fascinating and noteworthy tussle had both been alongside each other as they mounted their final challenge.

Authorized was galloping yesterday with River Alhaarth, a capable stayer, but the Derby winner was striding away in encouraging style at the end of the work, over seven and a half furlongs.

"He went well clear of his lead horse. It was the best I have seen him work," declared Tony Nerses, racing manager for owners Saleh Al Homeizi and Imad Al Sagar. "It's all systems go now for York," he added.

Bookmakers were first caught out in the Juddmonte when O'Brien came down in favour of Dylan Thomas as the Ballydoyle 'preferred' at the six-day stage, and reports of yesterday's work at Newmarket will almost certainly now lead to further tinkering with the ante-post market.

Meanwhile, as far as the weekend is concerned, Newbury were dealt a blow when Alan Swinbank announced that the unbeaten Turbo Linn is to bypass tomorrow's Geoffrey Freer Stakes after coming into season.

"It's disappointing because she was going so well at home. But she won't run and we'll look now at races such as the Park Hill Stakes at Doncaster and the Stockholm Cup," reported Swinbank.

At Salisbury yesterday, Jamie Spencer picked up a three-day ban for careless riding when he allowed Pride Of Nation, to hang in on to the runner-up, Ordnance Row, in the closing stages of the Sovereign Stakes. While Pride Of Nation rightly kept the race, Spencer did not do enough to prevent the incident and the suspension seemed appropriate.

As for Pride Of Nation, the jockey clearly believes he can win a bigger race, given the right circumstances. "In a better race, where they would go half a stride quicker, you never know where he could end up. He loves soft and heavy ground, and he has that sort of action," he pointed out.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Saratoga

York - Tuesday 21 August
Going: Good, Good to Soft in places

15:10
7 Run Juddmonte International Stakes (group 1)
Class 1, £525000.00 added, 3yo plus, £298095.00 penalty 1m 2f 88y

Form Horse Trainer Age Wgt Jockey
1(7) 4-11221 Dylan Thomas (IRE) A P O'Brien 4 9 5 J Murtagh
2(5) 014524 Hattan (IRE) C E Brittain 5 9 5 S Sanders
3(4) 18-4131 Notnowcato Sir Michael Stoute 5 9 5 R L Moore
4(6) 2-11114 Asiatic Boy (ARG) M F De Kock 4 9 4 J P Spencer
5(1) 31-112 Authorized (IRE) P W Chapple-Hyam 3 8 11 L Dettori
6(2) 212-442 Duke Of Marmalade (IRE) A P O'Brien 3 8 11 M J Kinane
7(3) 8-12 Song of Hiawatha A P O'Brien 3 8 11 J A Heffernan

Betting Forecast: 2/1 Dylan Thomas (IRE), 9/4 Authorized (IRE), 11/4 Notnowcato, 6/1 Asiatic Boy (ARG), 16/1 Duke Of Marmalade (IRE), 66/1 Hattan (IRE), 100/1 Song of Hiawatha

Going out of town for a couple of days but best of luck to Notnowcato, to Dylan, Asiatic Boy and to Hattan (... shut up. I still like him even if.....).

Come home safe, everyone.

Assuming Authorized is your pick Viscount... good luck.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 AM
The Curragh

All of them............

Apart from Authorized!

Once again, this lucky horse gets the rain he needs to be able to perform, i swear he must do a rain dance before his big races. Every other horse in the race apart from Notnowcato have been declared wanting a firmer surface, most of all Asiatic Boy and Dylan Thomas.

I'm not sure what the conditions have been like at York, but nearly every has had plenty of rain in the last couple of days.

Authorized has had his way all year, it's becoming a joke. Any other summer the ground would have been good to firm for the Dante, Derby and Exlipse and more than likely we would be saying "who is Authorized". All he is, is a soft ground horse.

I hope Asiatic Boy wins as easily as Montjeu won the King George!!!!

Bring me back something nice, mmsc

and now we murderers because we kill time