Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Saratoga

Default India today

Having a hard time finding out when this race is but still... a nice tribute a fine horse.

Mystical to star on Poonawalla Million day
By Vivek Jain

The S.A.Poonawalla Million, Grade 2, is often referred to as the glamour event of the Pune Season. And rightly so, as the Poonawalla family, in trademark fashion, bring in that extra zing to the day that draws in the crowds and gives the course a carnival ambience.

This year, however, the spotlight will not be on fashion or a Bollywood beauty, but on an equine champion called Mystical. This multiple classic winning son of Alnasr Alwasheek stormed Dubai earlier this year with two splendid wins and created history for an Indian bred.

Zavaray Poonawalla and family, the proud owners, will show him off on their home turf, by cantering him on the race track prior to the Million before being accorded a reception with a garland of roses in the paddock. Horses are the real stars, and for a change a thoroughbred will be the main attraction of a sponsored day.

The race itself, in all probability will have a smallish field, but has a record purse of over Rs 14 lakh this year. This makes it one of the top juvenile semi-classic events at the Pune Meet.

In addition to the mystique of Mystical, Zavaray will offer the pomp and splendour that attracts the casual visitor to the races. There will be the usual prizes and the Maruti car, is as always, a huge draw. In addition, music and food on the lawns for invitees will add to the ambience and a young crowd is expected to come flowing in.

The S.A.Poonawalla day is about the mid-point of the Pune season where sponsors have already offered a new theme each weekend. There is still much more to follow and race-goers are surely in for an unmatched treat in the weeks to follow.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Saratoga

Guess Freddy Fong shouldn't head to India.....

DRC Suspends Three Jockeys
By Parjanya

The stewards of the Delhi Race Club have come down hard on three jockeys--S Raju, R Parmod and Nazim. All of them have been suspended. The decision of suspension was taken after an enquiry held into the riding of their respective mounts.

Apprentice jockey S Raju, who rode Hello Dolly in the Link House Plate (Div. II) on September 24, has been suspended for three months (October 13, 2007 to January 12, 2008). He was found guilty for unsatisfactory riding on the filly, who finished third in the race.

Reinman R Parmod has paid the price for dropping the whip on Spectacular Win (who finished second) at the crucial stage of the race at about 300 metres in the Rendezvous Plate held on August 27. The stewards, who were not satisfied with the explanations tendered by the jockey, also noted that in the past the filly had performed well under the quirt. Parmod will not be in action from October 13 to 30.

Furthermore, the stewards went on to crack their whip by imposing a 13-day suspension on jockey Nazim for unsatisfactory riding on Confidential Lady, who finished late fourth in the Flower Goddess Plate on September 18. He will not ride in races and track from October 13 to 25.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Santa Anita

eh MMSC, how come this hasnt been posted yet!! ..from racingpost!
ADMIRALOFTHEFLEET, winner of the Royal Lodge and Dee Stakes, has run his last race in Europe, and is heading for India, via Dubai, Hong Kong and possibly Japan.

The bold plan for the impeccably-bred son of Danehill has emerged following his purchase from a partnership of Michael Tabor, Sue Magnier and the Niarchos family by one of India's leading owner-breeders Vijay Mallya.

Fourth when favourite on his last start in Arlington's Secretariat Stakes after running unplaced in the Derby and Eclipse, Admiralofthefleet has left Aidan O'Brien's yard for Coolmore, and is currently enjoying a period of “rest and recuperation”, according to Mallya'sracing manager, Zeyn Mirza.

Speaking from India, Mirza said: “The plan is to target the Asian Mile Challenge, so Admiralofthefleet will go to Dubai, for two lead-up races before the Duty Free, and then to Hong Kong for the Champions Mile. And if all goes well, he could run in the last leg, in Japan.”

Mirza added: “We realise he has been running over middle distances, but we think his best trip could be a mile.”
With Coolmore seemingly reluctant to race at the Dubai Carnival meeting,Admiralofthefleet will have a new trainer when he leaves Ireland, but Mirza said no decision had yet been made.

The Asian Mile Challenge, which carries $12.5m (£6.1m) in prize-money and bonuses, covers four legs, beginning with the Futurity Stakes in Australia at the beginning of March, and concludes with the Yasuda Kinen at Fuchu in Japan in early-June.

With India's breeding season operating to Northern Hemisphere time, Admiralofthefleet will start his stallion career at Mallya's Kunigal stud, 70km from the corporate HQ of his United Breweries Group in Bangalore, in 2009.

From the last crop of Danehill, Admiralofthefleet is out of a sister to Machiavellian. He will become the third son of Danehill to stand in India, after Ace and Sussex.

#Grand
Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Saratoga

Oh yea!!!

Maybe he'll see Ace-ie!

Here's his new home.....

http://www.kunigalstud.com/
Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM
The Curragh

this kinda sticks two fingers up to the people who told me India wouldn't be able to make it in the racing world......

Good job!

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
this kinda sticks two fingers up to the people who told me India wouldn't be able to make it in the racing world......

Good job!

INDIAN-BRED HOLDING COURT

TOP WEIGHT FOR SYCAMORE (G3)

Holding Court (IND) will become possibly the first Indian-bred horse to compete at Keeneland when he starts in the 13th running of the Sycamore (G3) on opening day. Calvin Borel will ride Holding Court, who will break from the inside post in the 1½-mile turf race for three-year-olds and up, worth $150,000.

A five-year-old son of Royal Kingdom (IRE), Holding Court made his North American debut on September 3 at Arlington Park, finishing sixth in the Rossi Gold Stakes at 1 3/16 miles on turf. In India, he won 11 races, including two of the nation’s Group 1 events; was in the money in 20 of his 22 races; and earned $285,815. Harresh Mehta owns Holding Court, who is trained by “Paddy” Padmanabhan.

The field for the Sycamore is as follows: Holding Court (IND) (C. Borel, 125 pounds); Desert Wheat (C. Lanerie, 120); Transduction Gold (J. Graham, 120); Louve Des Reves (IRE) ( J. Leparoux, 117); Flight Captain (GB) (G. Gomez, 120); Dreadnaught (R. Albarado, 120); Big Prairie (J. Castellano, 120); Silver Whistle (K. Desormeaux, 122); Bee Charmer (IRE) (S. Bridgmohan, 120); and Crown Point (R. Bejarano, 120).

Oh and here are pp's...
http://www.brisnet.com/bris_link/pdf...donk_89613.pdf
Old 10-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Saratoga

"Allow Foreign Horses to Race in India"

Pesi Shroff, ace jockey turned champion trainer, is not unduly disappointed on Czar Alexander’s under-par performance in the just-concluded Nanoli Stud Pune Derby. Looking relaxed, the record eight times Indian Derby winner, offers a frank assessment of the race and issues concerning international racing. In an exclusive chat with our correspondent this is what he had to say:

Indiarace: Was the Derby failure of Czar Alexander a big disappointment?
Pesi Shroff: If any of my horse runs below form it is disappointing. In the Derby, Czar Alexander was expected to give a good account of himself, but somehow he could not live up to that expectation. Having said that, in every failure there is a lot to learn from. It’s a learning curve. But I must hand it to Gobelin, who ran a brilliant Race

IR: Everyone gets wiser after the event, what’s your post Race assessment?
PS: Well, there were a few pointers. You see, basically my horse prefers to settle at the back, he did not get to do it. The horses that were up in front finished fourth, fifth and second last. I had told the Jockey (C Alford) that even if he was at the rear end initially, it was okay. However, in a race the Jockey knows best. Czar Alexander was too keen and the jockey didn’t want to risk disturbing his rhythm and allowed him to run as he did. The Derby is a difficult race to ride in and one goes with the split second instinct.
I must also mention here that Czar Alexander got kicked on his left shoulder at the starting gates by Alvida. A blow like that can be unsettling!

IR: Let’s switch to the international arena. Many are of the view that it won’t be long before our horses to do well on international turf. Do you think we are really catching up with our counterparts overseas?
PS: I think there is a lot of work to do before we can really make our presence felt on the international front. First of all, do our breeders really have the confidence and are open to international competition? Will the breeders’ lobby allow foreign horses to compete in Indian racing? That would be the first step. Allow foreign horses to race in India. Then we are on course to really test ourselves whether we measure up to international standards. There should be the will and conviction to do it. This is the most genuine yardstick. Do we have the gumption to do it?

IR: Saddle-up, Astonish, Adler, Mystical…they have all won on foreign soil and more names are adding to the list. Do you see any talent in the current crop that will make it big?
PS: It was a proud moment when Saddle-up first tasted victory on foreign turf. Astonish, Adler, and more recently Mystical, have done us proud too! But these successes have been few and far between. The current crop is still peaking and there are a few interesting prospects. The way he is shaping up, Bourbone King definitely has it in him to go right up there. He is looking good and improving. The end of Mumbai season will throw a clearer picture.

IR: Many foreign jockeys are invited to ride in India. What’s the score on our jockeys riding abroad?
PS: In England & Ireland, Indian work-jockeys are the most sought after. We have a number of our boys who are professional work-riders there. My stable Jockey C. Ruzaan is currently riding in Canada. So, the opportunities are there.

IR: What has been your international experience?
PS: I have ridden in Australia, Japan, Nairobi and Bahrain. It was an enjoyable experience. I won in Bahrain and Nairobi, and in Australia and Japan…I ran close.

IR: A final question, do you miss your riding days?
PS: (Smiles), I enjoyed every moment as a jockey. I must say that I was blessed with a satisfying, long stint. That phase is now history. I am now concentrating on training and that’s where my focus remains. There is a lot of work ahead if I have to match my success as a jockey, in training and I intend to do just that.

Date:17-10-07

http://indiarace.com/
Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Saratoga

Okay well if anyone is gonna be there, tell Dr. Poonawalla his Ace-ie friend from So Cal sends her love.

Poonawalla Mysore Derby Attains a New High
By Pearcey

The Poonawalla Mysore Derby 2007 (Grade I) to be run on Sunday (Oct 28) promises to set new standards in terms of stake money being offered to the participants. With three final entries in Splendid Surprise ( Mysore 2000 Guineas winner), Star Team and Sprucespringstein contributing additional entry fees, total stakes have risen to over Rs 79 lakh. The winner is likely to get about Rs 47 lakh. This is a record for the Mysore Race Club. It is going to be the third richest Derby after the McDowell Indian Derby and the Bangalore Kingfisher Summer Derby (both these races are sponsored by liquor-baron Dr Vijay Mallya).

In India, the name "Poonawalla" is synonymous with huge events in Indian racing. The day they looked in to the Mysore Race Club, a couple of years ago, there was excitement in the air. Racing patrons at this small but extremely beautiful racing centre were expecting bigger and better racing, and they have not been disappointed. I have personally been visiting this centre for over 25 years. The changes in the last three years are spectacular. The new team at Mysore Race Club is also very vigilant and has set new standards in race supervision. The stake money on offer has vastly increased and is comparable to the best in the country. It is also reported that the tote collections at this centre have doubled over the last year. All in all, everything is moving in the right direction and we may soon see Mysore emerging as an independent racing centre.

The Poonawalla family is planning to make the event memorable for patrons who would be there on Derby day. In addition to other prizes, there will be a free contest of skill with the winner driving away a car. The entire family plans to be there with their numerous celebrity guests.

C Kanth Raj Urs, the youngest ever chairman at the Mysore Race Club and his team is putting up a huge stabling complex on a recently acquired site in Mysore. This is going to have 600 stables and a world-class equine hospital. In addition to this, Bangalore Turf Club is assisting them in putting up another 200 stables for housing the two-year olds prior to their arrival in Bangalore.

The entire complex is going to be set up on international standards. In his post-Derby speech at Mysore two years ago, ZS Poonawalla had stated that he "loved the Mysore race Club and the people of Mysore". Poonawalla will be accorded the honour of laying the foundation stone at the site on the morning of the Derby day.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Saratoga

Dear Ace-ie,

Happy Diwali.

Love and kisses, and smoochies and peppermints and, and.....

my miss storn cat
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Saratoga

Coco Chanel Shows Her Might
By Parjanya

Delhi. Nov 28, 2007

Coco Chanel taught a lesson to the top-class field while annexing the President of India Cup in a convincing style on Tuesday. The day also had two supporting events - Galloping Acres Stud Farm Cup and Border Security Force Cup - which were lifted by the favourites, Quality Assurance and Inspector Eagle respectively.

Grey filly Coco Chanel, who was running after a gap of six months, had no anxiety whatsoever while facing the starter along with the other 13 counterparts for the one of the oldest races of the Delhi racing calendar. She began her journey from the seven furlongs in sixth place and moving bit by bit sat closer at the tail of speedy leader Degas till the final turn. At the top of the homestretch, Ramandeep, who was adjudged the second best jockey after the champion K Narender Kumar last season, just helped the grey to start her winning campaign on a tight leash.

"I was not confident about her victory, she really ran beyond my expectations," Anupam told me. He added that after her arrival, Coco Chanel was unable to trot down clearly as she was treated for fractured fore and hind leg in Western India. "Keeping her on top hole was the top priority for me and the other problem with her was ‘the starting gate fobia’ that she developed during the Bangalore summer season. Due to this she was scratched out at the gate," Anupam said. "When she was brought back from Pune for the breeding purpose, I persuaded the owners to let her run and accepted it as a challenge."

Coco Chanel, last season's best local horse, had two easy victory to her credit in the Class I over the longer distance after finishing eye-catching third behind Celtic Princess and Bold Faith in the North India Derby, 2007. Now it is learnt that she will go to Mumbai soon. Jockey Malesh Narredu failed to bring luck for the favourite Dedication, who took his own time from the mid-field to reach the runners-up slot. Degas, who tired out to be fifth behind Image To Remember and Just Like A Woman, has come to hands and should soon spring a surprise over the shorter trip.

The day began with a surprise note of the upper division of the Appeaser Plate being declared void. Asian Express, who was stalled in the 13th draw, suddenly reared up and dislodged the jockey. Not only that, the gelding overturned into the gate and started disturbing Arctic Mist. By the time the front gate was opened to pull out Asian Express, all the gates flung open and three riderless horses along with the other three with their respective jockeys completed the course. However, the authorities made a quick and wise decision by voiding the competition.

Vision Remains landed a spoilsport finally in the lower division of the Apeaser Plate. Chasing the runaway leader Holy Warrior till the just over the final furlong, Ramparvesh helped the mare to taste victory. An encore is on the card for Vision Remains. Holy Warrior should make amends along with Gastronomique, who finished third. Barchetta bears watching.

Quality Assurance, a flopped heroine in her last venture, made no mistake with the support of "tongue strap" while coming out of the maiden status. Tucked on the fence in the third place, she was brought out by the visiting and the last time partner Imran Chisty to collar Golden Gun inside the distance post. The waiting tactics may help her to achieve some landmark over the longer distance. Pawan Sharma, who rode Golden Gun, again repeated the previous mistake of charging the colt too early.

The horse who has now become the talk of the turf is the late bloomer Inspector Eagle, who once again demolished the field over the seven furlongs. K Narender Kumar settled the colt in sixth position initially and improved him gradually before breathing down on the neck of Federico near the final furlong. He was so confident about the turn of foot of the mount that he started pipping over his shoulder after passing the leader. Arabian Tiger came from the hind group to finish second ahead of the dead-heat third place holder Federico and Great Ovation.

The last race saw a three-way finish, which finally went in the favour of late but fast finishing Show Off necking out Clean Bowled, who in turn was better than Heavenly Angel by a nostril. Clean Bowled, who took the shortest way, was alerting to the task a little late.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Saratoga

RP, no author listed.....

Mull Of Kintyre for India

GROUP 2 winner Mull Of Kintyre has been purchased by Capricorn Stud Farm in India, where he will replace the recently deceased 2,000 Guineas winner Tirol.

Trained by Aidan O'Brien for Sue Magnier, Mull Of Kintyre won two races as a juvenile, including the Group 2 Gimcrack Stakes. He also finished fourth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.

The son of Danzig, who is closely related to leading US sire Broad Brush, was retired to Coolmore's base in Ireland in 2002, but was moved to the Ashford Farm for the 2007 season, where he stood for $10,000.

To date, Mull Of Kintyre has sired four stakes winners, headed by the Irish 2,000 Guineas and St James's Palace Stakes winner Araafa and Group 3 winner La Dancia.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:42 PM
The Curragh

They certainly mean business, don't they.

Not too long ago their was a lost girl, angry and upset about hearing of her beloved little horse being sold to India. Now it looks like little Ace-ie is in great company, doesn't it, mmsc

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Saratoga

Like Ms. Dr. John H, Diva, said.....

Maybe he'll be the Sunday Silence of India!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Saratoga

Noverre Sold To Indian Stud
(no author listed)

Saturday, 5 January 2008: Darley shuttler Noverre has been sold to Indian stud interests.

The son of Rahy is to stand at Sultan Singh's Sohna Stud Farm.

Noverre, winner of the G1 Sussex Stakes, went stud in Ireland in 2003 and has since shuttled to Australia where he sreved the 2007 season at Darley's Victorian property.

Sohna Stud is among India's highest profile intrenational breders, recently buying 28 mares at the Goffs November Sale.

The stud also stands STorm Bird stallion Conquering Hero and Desert Prince's half brother Ontario, by Storm Cat.

Noverre, fromn the Northern Dancer mare Danseur Fabuleux, is a three-quarter brother to Arazi and was disisqualified as the winner of the French 2000 Guineas (Poule d'Essai des Poulains) after a positive test to a banned substance.

He won four races and was also placed in the St James's Palace, Queen Elizabeth II and UAE 2000 Guineas, Dubai Duty Free, Lockinge Stakes , Sussex Stakes, Juddmonte International and Champion Stakes.

Hre has sired six southern hemisphere winners among 67 winners and his stakes winners include Miss Lucifer, Nijoom Dubai , Elhamri and Profit Report.

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/br...D=118678&id=FP
Old 02-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Saratoga

UAE.....

Top UAE-based jocks head to India

Mick Kinane, Frankie Dettori (pictured) and Richard Mullen all fly from Dubai to India today (Saturday) to take part in the Group 1 McDowell Indian Derby, the country’s biggest race, tomorrow.

The most valuable race in India, worth around $200,000 to the winner, it is contested by four-year-olds and Colm O’Donoghue and Richard Hughes are also riding in the race.

The field of 19 is the biggest in recent memory and Dettori will ride Golconda Derby winner Retribution but O’Donoghue rides hot favourite Bourbon King who has won his previous 10 starts, including the Kingfisher Derby and Indian 2000 Guineas.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Saratoga

Hotstepper wins, Kinane up.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Saratoga

Good luck to (Ms.) Set Alight in the Derby.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Saratoga

Girls rule!

Set Alight wins the Derby.....

http://indiarace.com/NewsAround/2008...htwinderby.htm
Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Saratoga

Replay.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3X1_TXt2JA
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Saratoga

Not good...