Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Fairgrounds

Default Most Likely BC winner

Now that pre-entries are out, I am curious who people think is the single most likely Breeder's Cup race winner on the card?

Last year seemed much easier. Groupie Doll and Royal Delta seemed like locks. Wise Dan seemed very likely. All won as useful singles.

This year is much harder. All three of the above come in off a loss and see much less invincible.

What is your early single?

Paul
Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Saratoga

Princess of Sylmar.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Fairgrounds

Dank by the length of the tote board in the F&M Turf.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Saratoga

Wise Dan is easily the best single. His race last time was far more impressive then people giving him credit for, being wide the entire race, against a loose lead short stretch cluster**** of a race.

At the very least, the loss will hopefully make people spread a little more in that race, when nothing is needed besides him.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Hialeah Park

My 'Lahudood' selection of 2013 is My Conquistadory in the Juvy Filly Turf.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Steve Byk

Babies dicey as 'most likely', but Chad Brown's J-Turf/JF-Turf runners sure look imposing: Bobby's Kitten & Testa Rossi..
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Babies dicey as 'most likely', but Chad Brown's J-Turf/JF-Turf runners sure look imposing: Bobby's Kitten & Testa Rossi..
Its just so hard to put any confidence in any of the Juvy races because of the Lasix off rule. Its maddening.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
Its just so hard to put any confidence in any of the Juvy races because of the Lasix off rule. Its maddening.
Did it really have any impact last year other than Casse saying one of his horses bled and Baffert doing the same?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Did it really have any impact last year other than Casse saying one of his horses bled and Baffert doing the same?
Its impossible for any of us to know if it 'really' made a difference or not, but we all have seen tons of horses move up first time lasix after not running on it (see KMC's numbers first lasix after horse has run without it).

For me personally, none of the Juv races get any action. Breeders Cup races are hard enough, don't need another wrinkle on a day with plenty of other opportunities
Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Idlewild Airport

No lasix = all button
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Wise Dan is easily the best single. His race last time was far more impressive then people giving him credit for, being wide the entire race, against a loose lead short stretch cluster**** of a race.

At the very least, the loss will hopefully make people spread a little more in that race, when nothing is needed besides him.
I agree with this.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Tom..

Looking at the main track juveniles, who you'd expect to generally be more of a concern than the turf runners, last year saw Shanghai Bobby take the boys as the 3-2 favorite and top choices Beholder (4-1)-Executiveprivlege (3-2) run 1-2.. so 'form' certainly held.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Calder Race Course

I agree with Steve. Bobby's Kitten for me. Sure has looked super impressive.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Oaklawn

I've been saying this for the past couple of weeks... there are very few "standouts" (I use that term loosely) this year.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
I've been saying this for the past couple of weeks... there are very few "standouts" (I use that term loosely) this year.
I think your wrong, to a degree. I think the favorites in many of the races are strong, though it might be more than one horse, I dont think you have to go too deep this year.

Distaff - Royal Delta or Princess of Sylmar are going to win
Classic - If Game on Dude breaks on top he is going to win
FM Turf - Dank looks serious to me
Juvenile - Havana looks like a standout on paper, Tap it Rich has talent
Sprint - I dont think you have to look further than Pointsoffthebench or Private Zone

I dont count the other pretend races as real BC races, but in the main event races I dont think it looks that competitive (though I will still bet some overylays)

I suppose in the classic one could take the view it could totally melt down, but on paper, there is a true standout.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I think your wrong, to a degree. I think the favorites in many of the races are strong, though it might be more than one horse, I dont think you have to go too deep this year.

Distaff - Royal Delta or Princess of Sylmar are going to win
Classic - If Game on Dude breaks on top he is going to win
FM Turf - Dank looks serious to me
Juvenile - Havana looks like a standout on paper, Tap it Rich has talent
Sprint - I dont think you have to look further than Pointsoffthebench or Private Zone

I dont count the other pretend races as real BC races, but in the main event races I dont think it looks that competitive (though I will still bet some overylays)

I suppose in the classic one could take the view it could totally melt down, but on paper, there is a true standout.
Yeah this time it will be different all the first or second choices that look great on paper will win.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Churchill Downs

With big fields over a one-mile main track and a 7F turf course, isn't it almost impossible to make any pronouncement of a "most likely winner" until post positions are drawn?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
The Curragh

on a related note...Flat Out for Bill Mott is scheduled to put in a final BC work on the Saratoga Training Track (Oklahoma) tomorrow or Saturday.
Sky Painter, Alpha, Dancing House, Dance Card for Kiaran McLaughlin are scheduled to put in their final BC works on Oklahoma tomorrow.
Reports to follow

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
Dank by the length of the tote board in the F&M Turf.
It's possible but, Romantica Euro form looks at least as good as Dank's Euro form.