Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Default Jade Dreamer

Could be a filly worth looking out for. Four-year-old firsters usually don't pan out, but this one broke a half-dozen lengths behind the field (4/6/08, KEE, R2) and closed into a slow pace to score.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

This is what makes the game interesting. I haven't watched the race but looking at the chart, the race is 'complicated', with multiple moves, and JD made the last one. Given the way the race played out, breaking badly probably didn't cost her much at all.

There are 2 interpretations, if we must take a speed oriented approach:

1) JD ran a monster trip as she closed into 'slow' fractions

2) The rest of the field was pitiful as they all fell apart in slow fractions.

But even if we assume 1, some of 2 comes with it. And, once again, from a speed oriented stance, it makes no sense that horses would collapse in slow fractions. I mean, that would be almost like admitting that races are determined by what happens internally, the shape, the moves, etc., rather than how fast they're going. We wouldn't want that.

This is why I love POLY. The charts are more complicated, like turf races, and they make less 'sense' than your typical dirt race.

P.S.

I think Hatta Fort's race was more impressive, given that he had to do all the work to close, rather than having multiple moves ahead of him.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
This is what makes the game interesting. I haven't watched the race but looking at the chart, the race is 'complicated', with multiple moves, and JD made the last one. Given the way the race played out, breaking badly probably didn't cost her much at all.

There are 2 interpretations, if we must take a speed oriented approach:

1) JD ran a monster trip as she closed into 'slow' fractions

2) The rest of the field was pitiful as they all fell apart in slow fractions.
I agree it was a little of both.

Jill Byrne had an interesting interview with Desormeaux after the race. KD said he basically gave up after the break and was going to give her an education. Then on the backstretch they started coming back to him. He said he wasn't going any faster, but they were backing up (see #2 above).

He then went on to say once he swung her out, she took off and finished up in a big way (see #1 above).
Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Could be a filly worth looking out for. Four-year-old firsters usually don't pan out, but this one broke a half-dozen lengths behind the field (4/6/08, KEE, R2) and closed into a slow pace to score.
I saw that race, it was a fabulous recovery, Kent D could have gotten dumped, to break that bad leave yourself last by 6 or 7 behind the field and still close to score was a great performance, yes even at Keeneland! McPeek may have one to keep an eye on alright.