Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2006, 08:07 PM
pgardn

On Saturday, Mr. Abbas told The Associated Press, "The Egyptian efforts have encountered difficulties because there is no partner in Hamas capable of making decisions."

He added, "The Hamas leadership abroad says that the decision is in the hands of the military wing in Gaza, while the military wing says that the decision must be made by the leadership abroad."

So this is what Israel has to deal with. And then of course Mr. Abbas has his own group splintered into parts. So I guess Israel feels they can only deal with them by pressuring the entire Gaza strip and uniting them. Mr. Olhmert has stated they will not sleep at night, they will know how the waiting feels while Israeli jets send sonic booms down on the general population every night periodically.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
On Saturday, Mr. Abbas told The Associated Press, "The Egyptian efforts have encountered difficulties because there is no partner in Hamas capable of making decisions."

He added, "The Hamas leadership abroad says that the decision is in the hands of the military wing in Gaza, while the military wing says that the decision must be made by the leadership abroad."

So this is what Israel has to deal with. And then of course Mr. Abbas has his own group splintered into parts. So I guess Israel feels they can only deal with them by pressuring the entire Gaza strip and uniting them. Mr. Olhmert has stated they will not sleep at night, they will know how the waiting feels while Israeli jets send sonic booms down on the general population every night periodically.
Pat,
This article is interesting. Condelizza is involved now too.
http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8IK57BO0.html
Old 07-02-2006, 09:15 PM
pgardn

Here it is again from your article DTS.

"This is unacceptable," Haniyeh said. "This will not break the will of the Palestinian people."

What the hell is the will of the Palestinian people? Israel will not be allowed to exist? We will not give the soldier back? We want.... what? They are speaking from so many directions it is impossible to deal with them at this point.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Here it is again from your article DTS.

"This is unacceptable," Haniyeh said. "This will not break the will of the Palestinian people."

What the hell is the will of the Palestinian people? Israel will not be allowed to exist? We will not give the soldier back? We want.... what? They are speaking from so many directions it is impossible to deal with them at this point.
Pat,
I agree that they are speaking from many directions.
In my humble view, it's plenty tough to negotiate when the power station has been destroyed, no water because the pumps are inoperable, bridges gone, and missiles into the headquarters.
At this point, my guess is that the "will" of the Palestinian people is just to survive. Seems to me that Israel has made the most of one kidnapped soldier.
I really am not against Israel, but the suffering they've imposed on the Palestinians is obvious.
Maybe, when there is fresh water to drink in Gaza, the thirst will be sated.
Calm heads can then sit at a table to discuss the "impossible".
I certainly hope so...but I don't see it at this point either.
DTS
Old 07-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Hialeah Park

A short article from the Boston Globe, posted today.
I can't imagine what it's like living there.
Tragic stuff.

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0710-23.htm
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
A short article from the Boston Globe, posted today.
I can't imagine what it's like living there.
Tragic stuff.

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0710-23.htm
Interesting read.

Too bad extremists such as Bold Brooklyn will label others anti-semetic just for looking at this with a modest degree of balance.

Herer's another viewpoint....

The Israeli's consider this "War" against the Palestinians. Yet when the soldier was captured, the Israelis and far-right factions of the press referred to his capture as "kidnapping" and illegal.

Independent Palestinian state? Israel says no. Why? Who knows.

Single state with full citizenship rights for Palestinians? Israel says no. Why? Who knows, though many posit that allowing potential Palistinian-Israelis to vote might actually get them some representation.

So, Palestinians continue to be held prisoner in their own land. Israel allows and perpetuates the corruption that may exist in Gaza because it preserves their interest which is to maintain the status quo.

For years, Arafat was gserved up by Israel as the roadblock, i.e., "No partner in Peace." That myth died last year.

Make no mistake. Israel holds all the cards here.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

There don't seem to be any good solutions here...but folks must remember that the government of Israel is nothing if not predictable...is there anyone in the world who thought they wouldn't go for the throat once one of their's was kidnapped? I honestly believe the terrorists want this kind of response to galvanize the hatred against Israel and they are perfectly willing to sit and watch innocent Arab people suffer and die just to let this open sore fester! Israel will defend itself...by whatever means necessary! Like them or not, this is a certainty!!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Turf Paradise

DTS, I agree completely.

The tragedy of it all, of course, is the people suffering now include a lot of people who aren't involved. Shutting off water hurts everyone and makes it hard for people to sympathize with you.

My family is Irish American, and it reminds me of a great film I just saw called The Wind that Shakes the Barley. A lot of the people getting killed in the Troubles were just bystanders, peripheral casualties, innocents.

I wish there were an easy solution, but it's hard to quell violence that involves both land and religion.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtrekker
DTS, I agree completely.

The tragedy of it all, of course, is the people suffering now include a lot of people who aren't involved. Shutting off water hurts everyone and makes it hard for people to sympathize with you.

My family is Irish American, and it reminds me of a great film I just saw called The Wind that Shakes the Barley. A lot of the people getting killed in the Troubles were just bystanders, peripheral casualties, innocents.

I wish there were an easy solution, but it's hard to quell violence that involves both land and religion.
Irish,
I haven't seen the film, but will as soon as I can.
My problem with this mess is that innocents always pay the price. It's been that way in every "war" event in my memory, and for many years previous.
I wish them fresh water and food at this point.
Children and old people don't derserve this, no matter their religion. And yes, they should have their own land where they can live in security.

DTS
Old 07-11-2006, 05:45 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
***From Israel***

I just landed @ Ben Gurion and expect to be here for quite some time. Will be vacationing in St. Tropez, Mykinos and the Italian Riviera during August.

I've contracted to teach a 3 week course in American slang, mannerisms and trivia (could use Mr. Brooklynite's help on this one) to ****** operatives.

The situation in Gaza is going to get worse before it gets better. The end game is to isolate the Hamas Govt. in hope of replacing it with one that will be more in tune with eliminating this HOPELES shooting gallery.

The wining lottery ticket for us is a semi legitimate reason to flatten Damascus. Hopefully the Palestinians will not miss this oppurtunity to once again shoot themselves in the foot.
Do NOT believe a word of of what this Arab-hating war-mongerer says.

Israel has been talking for 20 years about replacing Palestinian leadership. It used to be Arafat labeled as the roadblocking "No Partner in Peace." That myth is long ago shattered.

Do you thnk for one second Israel has not had opportunity to replace leadership of the Palestinians? They had the poor bastard stuck in a hole for eight months and simply chose to have him die there while on television for all the world to see as the prime example of how to treat the Palestinian people. Arafat was so very extraordinarily weak as a leader the last year of his life that any true effort by the Israelis to line up their "Partner" would have succeeded. Instead, they chose ths time to make a mockery of the "Roadmap to Peace" project.

And Damascus? Forget it. Not going to happen. Just more extreme war-mongering, Arab-hating chest-thumping rhetoric. It will never happen. The last thing Israel will do is upset the status quo and go after the Syrians. The last thing the Israelis want is to f*** with Syria. It's much simpler to continue to repress the Palestinians who, with their sticks and stones as their arsenal, make for a far easier target.

This person promotes hate, violence and repression. Nothing else. After all, it's much easier than to work for peace. Peace takes hard work and compromise. Hate, violence and repression simply require the support and weapons provided by the United States.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
***From Israel***

I just landed @ Ben Gurion and expect to be here for quite some time. Will be vacationing in St. Tropez, Mykinos and the Italian Riviera during August.

I've contracted to teach a 3 week course in American slang, mannerisms and trivia (could use Mr. Brooklynite's help on this one) to ****** operatives.

The situation in Gaza is going to get worse before it gets better. The end game is to isolate the Hamas Govt. in hope of replacing it with one that will be more in tune with eliminating this HOPELES shooting gallery.

The wining lottery ticket for us is a semi legitimate reason to flatten Damascus. Hopefully the Palestinians will not miss this oppurtunity to once again shoot themselves in the foot.
St. Tropez ... Mykonos ... San Remo ... hey, buddy ... what the heck is wrong with Saratoga ???

And sure ... I'm available if you get stuck with the trivia and slang ... I ain't a Brooklynite for nuthin, ya know.

Just e-mail me any time you got a problem. You got a problem with that?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
St. Tropez ... Mykonos ... San Remo ... hey, buddy ... what the heck is wrong with Saratoga ???

And sure ... I'm available if you get stuck with the trivia and slang ... I ain't a Brooklynite for nuthin, ya know.

Just e-mail me any time you got a problem. You got a problem with that?
Answer the questions
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Hopefully the Palestinians will not miss this oppurtunity to once again shoot themselves in the foot.
As the old saying goes ...

"The Palestinians never miss an oportunity to miss an opportunity."

You'd think they'd observe the tremendous success which Israel has had in turning a desert into a blooming garden ... and developing their Mediterranean coastline into a world-class resort ... and say ... "Hey, if the Israelis can do it ... we can do it too. In fact ... let's show them that we can do it even better. Let's cooperate with each other ... show respect for foreigners ... open up our markets to investment ... honor property rights ... and create jobs and prosperity for all our people ... just like they did."

But no ... you'd be wrong because ... yes, that's right ... because ... the Palestinians never miss an oportunity to miss an opportunity.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
As the old saying goes ...

"The Palestinians never miss an oportunity to miss an opportunity."

You'd think they'd observe the tremendous success which Israel has had in turning a desert into a blooming garden ... and developing their Mediterranean coastline into a world-class resort ... and say ... "Hey, if the Israelis can do it ... we can do it too. In fact ... let's show them that we can do it even better. Let's cooperate with each other ... show respect for foreigners ... open up our markets to investment ... honor property rights ... and create jobs and prosperity for all our people ... just like they did."

But no ... you'd be wrong because ... yes, that's right ... because ... the Palestinians never miss an oportunity to miss an opportunity.
That's as true as saying the Israelis never miss an opportunity to turn off water and electricity to the oppressed Palestinians. Oh wait, that's actuallt true. Never mind.

Answer the questions schmedrick.

C'mon, ya needle.

Answer the
Old 07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Arlington Park

[quote=Dixie Porter]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
And Damascus? Forget it. Not going to happen. Just more extreme war-mongering, Arab-hating chest-thumping rhetoric. It will never happen. The last thing Israel will do is upset the status quo and go after the Syrians. The last thing the Israelis want is to f*** with Syria. QUOTE]

Obviously you have a poor memory or are totally ignorant of the recent happenings in the Middle East.

I can safely assume that Syria would take LESS than 6 days this time around.
See the "Six Day War" and their gallant defense of the Golan Heights. Not to mention the comical air war which was a TOTAL embarassment. At least in 1967 a healthy Assad struggled to keep that bunch of clowns on thier toes.
Today the "eye doctor" has surrended leadership to some Arab thug who is less than a moron.

People like you (Arabs living in the US) are the reason we had to collect the Japanese/Americans in the early 40's. A few bad apples can spoil the whole basket.

Personally I'd have no problem "slotting" you and all those of your ilk. Collateral damage is a significant part of war. Always was, and always will be.
My memory is just fine, thank you very much.

The world is a different place than 40 years ago, though you might not like to think it.

Just what the hell would you do with Syria? Answer that.

You are lucky to have the Palestinians do your labor, fuel your economy and in return you do all you can to oppress them. Pure and simple. If you beat any creature long enough it WILL bite back.

We've been hearing for YEARS all about what you are going to do to Syria. Yeah, sure. 6 days, right. Unfortunately for you, the rest of the world is getting tired of the bull**** treatment of the Palestinians. Yes, the world has changed and recognizes the last thing Israel wants is true war when after all the Palestinians are oh so convenient.

Fact is, few Israelis support your views. Very few. However, the Israeli government has taught their people how to live in fear. It's a great tactic. It works in the U.S., no reason it won't work in the Middle East.

so you tell me...

Do you support:

1. Single state with full rights for Palestinian-Israelis
2. Idependent State.
3. Something else. (And, do pray give details here)

Can't wait for a real, sincere response to the most VERY BASIC questions I ask.

I am rapt awaiting you answer.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
pgardn

Quote:
***From Israel***

Oh please say it aint so. Use the bold ones help on America?
I dont think we need the Israelis hating us also. Good God this is the last person on earth... I hope this post is false. The people that hired you... I feel sorry for their business if you need to rely on this guy.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:55 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

this will never end till the total invasion of palistine by the isr.army...and i have a feeling they are close...the other arabs have their own problems..they wont care imo if the humas terror govt is gone..
Old 07-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
this will never end till the total invasion of palistine by the isr.army...and i have a feeling they are close...the other arabs have their own problems..they wont care imo if the humas terror govt is gone..
Ok, my LAST POST here. (copyright permission from Eldora)...

Lot's of people think that way. That's ok,... but there ARE other points of view to be offered up.

Total invasion close? Nah, isn't gonna happen. Ask yourself this....

What's taken so long?

Who's stopping it?

Who gains from change... who gains from no change?

Make love, not war.

Reach one, ....
Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

lol bruce ..im just tired of all the useless killing...for most of my life ive seen it on tv and just hope they could work it out..bet they never will...
Old 07-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Hialeah Park

Here is an article that gives the history.
If you skip the first few paragraphs, the rest is very informative.
For those that are interested:

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0711-23.htm