Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-25-2006, 02:58 PM
pgardn

Default Gaza And Hamas

Get ready to pay the price for a long planned attack. Actual members of the Palestinian Parliment have condoned the attack. Today, tomorrow, in the next week some Hamas militants will be taken out in Gaza by the Israelis.

Bet on that.

I expect a very strong response. Time for the rats to head underground.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Get ready to pay the price for a long planned attack. Actual members of the Palestinian Parliment have condoned the attack. Today, tomorrow, in the next week some Hamas militants will be taken out in Gaza by the Israelis.

Bet on that.

I expect a very strong response. Time for the rats to head underground.
Some folks never learn...they just die violently! Unfortunately, the hatred just grows...
Old 06-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
Some folks never learn...they just die violently! Unfortunately, the hatred just grows...
This mess is only going to get much worse quickly.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8IFE7I01.html
Old 06-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Bold Brooklynite

As the old saying goes ...

... the Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

How can anyone spend so much time in the streets screaming and shouting? Don't these folks have jobs or hobbies?

Maybe they should join DerbyTrail ... and learn how to act civilized.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:51 AM
pgardn

Ready set, go.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/26/wo...rtner=homepage
Old 06-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Those folks never seem to learn...mess with the US, anybody...but don't screw with Israel!!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:10 PM
The Curragh

Obviously attacks against Israeli civilians should be condemned. And Israel should work with local authorities to get hold of the people who do it. But non-states cannot commit 'acts of war.' If Israeli civilians inside Israel (note - inside Israel - Israel doesn't have any right to defend settlers from attack), then it should contact the PA and request an investigation and the prisoners. Or it should go through the UN to get the people who did it.

The lack of a structured society in the Palestinian territories is the number one international issue. They don't have the power or ability to act (broken infrastructure, no tax base or funding, etc.). The UN needs to step in with peacekeeping troops to help the Palestinians rebuild and gain stability.
Hamas forces go to Israel to commit terrorist acts. You can't get a terrorist with mere prescence. You must either link them to a plot or catch them after the act.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
Obviously attacks against Israeli civilians should be condemned. And Israel should work with local authorities to get hold of the people who do it. But non-states cannot commit 'acts of war.' If Israeli civilians inside Israel (note - inside Israel - Israel doesn't have any right to defend settlers from attack), then it should contact the PA and request an investigation and the prisoners. Or it should go through the UN to get the people who did it.

The lack of a structured society in the Palestinian territories is the number one international issue. They don't have the power or ability to act (broken infrastructure, no tax base or funding, etc.). The UN needs to step in with peacekeeping troops to help the Palestinians rebuild and gain stability.
Hamas forces go to Israel to commit terrorist acts. You can't get a terrorist with mere prescence. You must either link them to a plot or catch them after the act.

The UN will never take action here...that's a non-issue! Israel has every right to defend it's citizens...that's what nations do! If you don't believe that, ask Jimmy Carter...it cost him the Presidency!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite

How can anyone spend so much time in the streets screaming and shouting? Don't these folks have jobs or hobbies?
No, they don't. The Palestinians are desperately poor.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
The UN needs to step in with peacekeeping troops to help the Palestinians rebuild and gain stability.
Hmmm ... and when are the Palestinians going to do something for themselves?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
No, they don't. The Palestinians are desperately poor.
And the Israelis are civilized and prosperous because ... ? Because maybe they work very hard ... obey the law ... and treat each other ... and foreigners who don't share their religious beliefs ... with respect and courtesy

Hmmm ... and when are the Palestinians going to do the same for themselves?

Enough with the b.s. excuses for these hateful, vicious people.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
And the Israelis are civilized and prosperous because ... ? Because maybe they work very hard ... obey the law ... and treat each other ... and foreigners who don't share their religious beliefs ... with respect and courtesy

Hmmm ... and when are the Palestinians going to do the same for themselves?

Enough with the b.s. excuses for these hateful, vicious people.
Brooklynite, I don't defend or support terrorism in any way, shape or form, but you forget the Israelis are civilized and prosperous because they are supported by the USA.

Explain to me how, cut off by walls from their own lands, and devoid of any sort of financial support, how the general rank-and-file Palestinians are supposed to get any kind of financial leg underneath them? I'm curious to hear your plans for nation-building.

Israel/Palestine is as complicated a political situation as any of us will ever see-- Marshall warned Truman back in the '50s that recognizing Israel would lead to decades of violence. Was it right or wrong? After what happened to the Jews in WW2, it's hard to argue that they didn't have a right to a homeland. But people who had no part in what happened in WW2 were kicked out of their homes because another group of people said God promised them that land. Right or wrong?

Do I know the solution? Hell, no. But deciding the Palestinians are just being lazy and violent is simplistic at best. In a perfect world, Israel would surrender the West Bank, the Palestinians would give up the right of return and the Holy Cities would be put under UN control so no nation owned them. But fat chance that ever happening.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:09 PM

Wait; I think I mean the '40s, not the '50s. Bad GR! Can't keep history straight! 1948 was when we recognized Israel, yes? Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Wait; I think I mean the '40s, not the '50s. Bad GR! Can't keep history straight! 1948 was when we recognized Israel, yes? Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
I am pretty sure that is correct.

But Hamas, which just won a pretty overwhelming little election in Palestine (and I do mean Palestine as Israel has given in to their autonomy), does not recognize Israel. And therein lies the problem. They wish for the death and total destruction of Israel, and thats just not gonna happen.
So as long as the Palestinians are represented by elected terrorists, both Palestinians and Israelis will suffer. It is much clearer now. The cards are turned up on the table.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Oh, very valid point, Pgardn, and I think the Palestinians should have burned Arafat in effigy for turning down the deal offered a few years' back that gave them 95 percent of what they wanted. But I don't think Palestine is likely to recognize Israel any sooner than Israel recognizes Palestine. And Hamas being elected hasn't helped any. It also puts us in a tight spot-- we wave our "Democracy! Democracy!" banner all over the place, and then get confronted by nations who democratically elect factions we don't like. If we recognize them, we tacitly support enemies of our allies. If we don't recognize them, we look like big hypocrites-- charging into Iraq and decimating the nation to establish "democracy" when we by our actions in other nations indicate we may not respect what a sovereign nation's people choose.

Oh God, this makes my head hurt. No wonder people like to watch that American TASS, Fox News-- it keeps it easy: "Us good! Them bad!". The truth, on the other hand, is almost always much more complicated...
Old 06-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Brooklynite, I don't defend or support terrorism in any way, shape or form, but you forget the Israelis are civilized and prosperous because they are supported by the USA.
The Palestinians receive far more aid per capita from foreign governments than Israel ever has.

Israel became prosperous the way every other country has become prosperous ... by living under the rule of law themselves ... and applying that same rule of law to their foreign guests.

Prosperity begins with safety and freedom ... and you can't have either if your only thought ... your obsession ... is to kill everyone who disagrees with you.

The Palestinians are economically poor because they're morally bankrupt.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
The Palestinians receive far more aid per capita from foreign governments than Israel ever has.

Israel became prosperous the way every other country has become prosperous ... by living under the rule of law themselves ... and applying that same rule of law to their foreign guests.

Prosperity begins with safety and freedom ... and you can't have either if your only thought ... your obsession ... is to kill everyone who disagrees with you.

BB, can you post some statistics to back up that assertion, please? Be sure to include defense funding in those numbers. And the source from where you get the statistics that Palestinians receive more aid per capita, and how much aid they get per capita. And the total amount received by the Palestinians and by the Israelis, since you say Palestine has received more aid than Israel ever had.

Believe it or not, I'm not disputing; I just want the facts and the source so I can cross-check it. Post them, please!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
BB, can you post some statistics to back up that assertion, please? Be sure to include defense funding in those numbers. And the source from where you get the statistics that Palestinians receive more aid per capita, and how much aid they get per capita. And the total amount received by the Palestinians and by the Israelis, since you say Palestine has received more aid than Israel ever had.

Believe it or not, I'm not disputing; I just want the facts and the source so I can cross-check it. Post them, please!
Neither the Israeli economy nor the Palestinian economy benefits significantly from foreign aid ... but for very different reasons.

The aid to Israel is used almost exclusively for defense ... and the reason they need it for defense is because the Arab nations keep attacking them. Absent unprovoked attacks against its very existence ... Israel would not need ... nor want .... any foreign aid.

The aid to the Palestinians is intended for economic benefit ... but almost none reaches the average Palestinian ... because their "leaders" steal it from them. Can you say, "Suha Arafat is alive and well in Paris"?

I repeat ... Israel is a modern and prosperous country because it lives by the rule of law ... and applies the same rule of law to everyone.

The Palestinians are impoverished and backward because they are morally bankrupt.

Any country can become prosperous ... by providing safety and freedom for its citizens and visitors. Switzerland ... a small, landlocked, mountainous country in the center of Europe ... became the birthplace of chocolate confections ... the basis of which ... cocoa ... is a tropical plant. If Switzerland can score a big success with chocolate ... any country can be successful with anything ... provided it is lawful and honorable.

If the Palestiinians lived by the rule of law and respect for others ... they'd be a lot more successful than they are.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Disagree!
That's the same line of thinking as American whites used against Native Americans.
So what? You're already living here, but WE want it. WE'LL put a little land aside for you to live on....take it or leave it.
If you don't like it, we'll kill all the buffalo that you depend on for sustinace.
Go to the reservation, NOW!
If you resist, we'll kill you. (did).

So the British give over Palestine so there could be a Zionist state under UN protection in 1948. Hey! Palistinians, get out of here! It's ours now. God gave it to us (duh! I thought the British did under UN protection...play the guilt for what Hitler did to you...and then you do the exact same thing to the people you dispossess).

Go to you're Gaza strip and West Bank. We have US backing and funding.
The US evens supplies us with F-16's. Tanks too!
If you resist, we'll kill you. (did)

Can anyone blame Native Americans or Palestinians for having a dim view of events that have effected their lives?

"Those that ignore the lessons of history are condemned to repeat them."

Same story, again.
Force people off their land and expect them to negotiate?
I don't think so.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 PM
boldruler

The Palestinians and Israelis both are extremely annoying. Our government should take care of its own before helping out these groups. I wouldn't trust either one of them with anything. They have been fighting forever and will continue to fight forever. I am tired of giving them my tax dollar to kill each other.