Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Oaklawn

Default Never won on the dirt theory is dead

Mine That Bird, no wins on natural dirt 1st
POTN no wins on dirt 2nd
Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Flemington

Yeah - and derby starters with back to back defeats at Sunland Park for 1-for-32 trainers are now historically batting a thousand in the race.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Arlington Park

This is stupid.
Anyone that throws out a horse just because it hadn't won (or run) on dirt was foolish.
Anyone that says past dirt form doesn't matter, is also foolish.
Horses must be taken one at a time. Some can run well on multiple sufraces. Some can't.

The idea that there was some "theory" that should now be tossed out the window because of something Mine that Bird did, doesn't make any sense to me at all. Starting a thread to make such a proclamation....makes even less.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Right, one exacta singlehandedly kills the significance of having dirt experience. Mine That Bird beat a neutered field by saving all the ground, and POTN was a mediocre, drifting out second by a nose.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Yeah - and derby starters with back to back defeats at Sunland Park for 1-for-32 trainers are now historically batting a thousand in the race.
that'll be the basis of my betting attack next year.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
i know it's crazy, MTB is out of Birdstone, remember SmartyJ, must need at least 11/4 to get close
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjcom
i know it's crazy, MTB is out of Birdstone, remember SmartyJ, must need at least 11/4 to get close
miracle of miracles.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Mine That Bird, no wins on natural dirt 1st
POTN no wins on dirt 2nd
But the nine-furlong race rule lives on!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
miracle of miracles.
Identifying Birdstone as Mine that Bird's mother is only one of the things that didn't make sense to me about that post.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Identifying Birdstone as Mine that Bird's mother is only one of the things that didn't make sense to me about that post.
me too!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
This is stupid.
Anyone that throws out a horse just because it hadn't won (or run) on dirt was foolish.
Horses must be taken one at a time. Some can run well on multiple sufraces. Some can't.

The idea that there was some "theory" that should now be tossed out the window because of something Mine that Bird did, doesn't make any sense to me at all. Starting a thread to make such a proclamation....makes even less.
You better watch it. There are certain God-like (at least in their own minds) figures on this board that will tell you otherwise and if you didn't agree with them, you were stupid, an idiot, or both.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
i worded it wrong should have said sired not out of my screw-up
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
You better watch it. There are certain God-like (at least in their own minds) figures on this board that will tell you otherwise and if you didn't agree with them, you were stupid, an idiot, or both.

actually, what miraja wrote is what most have said. i don't think anyone has said a poly horse can't run on dirt. i think most have said that some can, and some can't. but for many, they would rather bet on a known dirter than one they aren't sure of. this sure has gotten turned into a big deal.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
actually, what miraja wrote is what most have said. i don't think anyone has said a poly horse can't run on dirt. i think most have said that some can, and some can't. but for many, they would rather bet on a known dirter than one they aren't sure of. this sure has gotten turned into a big deal.
We know there was a certain one that said he can't. Insisted he can't. Saying you'd rather get a higher price on one that hadn't shown he can do it, that makes perfect sense. But insisting that a horse can't do it when he'd never tried it was kinda surprising to me considering the source.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
This is stupid.

if it makes no sense then why are you typing away on it? are you the thread judge? it was to stir conversation on an issue many talked about with POTN.not to create ill feelings
Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Sheepshead Bay

this thread is so ****ing stupid I feel like kicking you in the face, no way in hell the race turns out like this if we have a fast track. The track was set up for poly horses all day with all the rain. So much in fact I boxed the 5 horses in the ex that came from keenland 4-5-7-8-9
Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

drugs did suggest i unload on him , he most have saw something in the pp's
Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar311
this thread is so ****ing stupid I feel like kicking you in the face, no way in hell the race turns out like this if we have a fast track. The track was set up for poly horses all day with all the rain. So much in fact I boxed the 5 horses in the ex that came from keenland 4-5-7-8-9
then you lost $60 on the tri and $120 on the super
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
POTN was a mediocre, drifting out second by a nose.
A lot better finish than the anti-POLYITES (i.e., the not FAST ENOUGH crowd) would have had us believe.

The bashing of these horses, and this surface, really needs to stop.

Not to worry, however. I understand Beyer is tackling the INEFFICIENCY of his figures on artificial surfaces problem. Yeah, all the major minds in his team are getting together and they're gonna hammer out tighter non-dirt figs; so, his disciples should be back in the game anytime now.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
A lot better finish than the anti-POLYITES (i.e., the not FAST ENOUGH crowd) would have had us believe.

The bashing of these horses, and this surface, really needs to stop.

Not to worry, however. I understand Beyer is tackling the INEFFICIENCY of his figures on artificial surfaces problem. Yeah, all the major minds in his team are getting together and they're gonna hammer out tighter non-dirt figs; so, his disciples should be back in the game anytime now.
No sane person can possibly think Pioneer of the Nile ran a particularly good race today. He clunked along faster than most of the others. Congratulations. One horse ran.....and eighteen didn't. Some just didn't show up a little ( or a lot ) more than others.