Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Arlington Park

Default Calder Monday

Race #3

Looking for some action today and nothing big jumps out off the page value wise; however in the 3rd today at Calder, "Xiuhcalco" looks like it is his time to break his Mdn. All he needs is a better timed ride in this frankly weak Mdn Claimer. ML is 3:1.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Chances are, with Premature Smith off, you'll get a better timed ride. However, on 9/25, his best race, he closed into ridiculously SLOW fractions, where just about everyone was gaining late. So, it seems, that he needs a lot to go his way for him to win.

On the other hand, Heez For Doc is coming out of a race that produced a next out winner (Mean Max ) and, previous to that, going 9F, he ran the best, by far, of the 3 horses with the pace, in a race that came home honestly and appeared to favor closers.

Check the charts out.

Of course, I haven't watched these races and am relying solely on the charts.

There probably are better plays than in this race.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CRC-10-19-08-R-2.gif (16.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: gif CRC-09-25-08-R-3.gif (14.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Arlington Park

Add Deisel Power to the list, it's self explanatory.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
Chances are, with Premature Smith off, you'll get a better timed ride. However, on 9/25, his best race, he closed into ridiculously SLOW fractions, where just about everyone was gaining late. So, it seems, that he needs a lot to go his way for him to win.

On the other hand, Heez For Doc is coming out of a race that produced a next out winner (Mean Max ) and, previous to that, going 9F, he ran the best, by far, of the 3 horses with the pace, in a race that came home honestly and appeared to favor closers.

Check the charts out.

Of course, I haven't watched these races and am relying solely on the charts.

There probably are better plays than in this race.
I agree with your adjective describing Ariel, accurate and apropos.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Arlington Park

Fman,

My observation of Xiuhcalco was he has one short burst that he can make against these types, Smith is pushing this horse far too early to keep close to the pace and the horse is just not capable of sustaining his runs. I agree the charts on the surface look suspect but with Elvis taking over he's more likely to make one quick move at the top of the stretch and that might be enough.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 PM

I don't know. While he had to alter course a bit in the stretch, when a tiring horse came in his path, and got bounced to lefty lead again, that race was collapsing; and the winner never changed leads. Xiu... was in a drive from early turn, Smith was hacking away on him.

Meantime, he's 3:2; so, they must know something.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Arlington Park

When I looked at this race I figured he would be 5-2 and the #1 would go off as the favorite at post time, let's see. The only horse I would give a chance to is Halo's Approval if he gets a soft lead, he can wire this field, hopefully the #3 will do his job and keep him company.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Incredible

That's my 4th 2nd out of the last 7 races I've played. (The other 3 are winners.) And the pattern, for the most part, is always the same, with the chalk winning.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Arlington Park

Well that definitely didn't turn out right, back to the drawing board.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Amberdevil in the 5th at CRC, is cheap but she's cutting back and, if ridden correctly, i.e. not rushed to stay with what figures to be a contested pace early, she just might get a decent setup. Of course, Ward is deadly in these situations.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Arlington Park

Goodluck, I have to go do some real work now, However I did notice speed is not a bad way to go in these 5f sprints.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Amberdevil in the 5th at CRC, is cheap but she's cutting back and, if ridden correctly, i.e. not rushed to stay with what figures to be a contested pace early, she just might get a decent setup. Of course, Ward is deadly in these situations.
Congrats, $27 winner. Now I really have to go...
Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Congrats, $27 winner. Now I have to go...
Don't I get credit for the $96 exacta with the favorite?

Seriously, this was a perfect example of how a cutback horse, with some semblance of early kick, will always get a perfect setup in sprints, IF, allowed to settle and not rushed early. "Out of town' turf presents some incredible opportunities in terms of price, and trips; much more so than NYRA, which has the best turf racing around.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Fat Man, Nice going.

I strongly agree with your assessment of turf horses having success in turf sprints after two turn races. I follow turf racing very closely at AP and Haw and here's an example of how I used this same logic to produce a long shot winner.

Yankee Injunuity - Front runner on 8/16/08 at AP going two turns tired late, but held on for 2nd. On 9/20/08, again going two turns was forwardly placed and yielded late to finish off the board. On 10/13/08 at HAW he's entered in a turf sprint and goes off at 33-1. The same jockey (Ferrer) settles him towards the rear of the pack and makes a big late run. I have struggled with turf sprints, but this angle has produced some winners. I'll try to provide the videos of his last 3 races.

http://arlingtonpark.com/video/race-...8-08-16-race-7

http://arlingtonpark.com/video/race-...-09-20-race-10

http://hawthorneracecourse.com/live_.../081013-07.asx

Last edited by Bogey : 11-24-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Arlington Park

Deisel Power received a poor ride in the 1st, if this horse comes back in a few weeks it may be worth making a mental note, Though these are 10K claimers and consistent form is not one of their strong suits. The chart of this race doesn't indicate the erroneous ride by Montalvo.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 PM

The chart does indicate that the ride was rushed. This is precisely why I'm pushing for more exact charts (in a good number of cases, the race watching process would be significantly reduced).

Moreover, they 'wiped out' the field, as the rest were retreating significantly from the turn. I can view this one of two ways:

1) the top 2 (especially the 2nd finisher) were much better than the field and will run big next out

2) they got a good setup (pace and dynamics) and would get run down in a fair race
Attached Images
File Type: gif CRC-11-24-08-R-1.gif (12.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by the_fat_man : 11-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Arlington Park

I think this is a case where seeing the race has a decided advantage, Montalvo moved his horse much too early, had a decided edge with less than a furlong to go and was caught while looking very much like the winner. The running line will not indicate any subtle trouble, we can be sure of that. Saying that it's really hard to get excited about playing a 10K race where horses run so inconsistently. I would play him if he is 2.5:1 in his next but this is not going to be a horse I am going to be waiting with anticipation playing in a week or 2. There are so many questionable rides these days in races without the obvious trouble lines that making notes can pay off. You won't have to wait weeks.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM

The graph of the race chart shows the impatient ride. And that's why, once again, it's very important for EQUIBASE to get their charts accurate (once and for all) as it takes too much time to watch many races over many tracks. The only way anyone is playing a single circuit these days is if they're getting paid to handicap that circuit. (I'd certainly give up the game if my action was restricted to NYRA, for example.)

I realize that it's the ultimate in machismo to take down carryover exotics but the way to actually beat the races, in my opinion, is to bet ONLY when you have an advantage (not, once again, when there's a huge pot waiting if you can wade your way through races you normally wouldn't play). So, the more races/tracks one can cover, the more of an advantage one has. The key point is that there are many, many EXCELLENT plays daily; the problem is having the time to find them all. This is something I'm slowly but steadily working towards.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Arlington Park

Deisel Power is listed in the entries for Calder this Wed, loses Montalvo for Sanchez. This should be interesting...