Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
TFM, he used the horse for no reason coming down the backside. He ran up to either get postion, or the lead, instead he ran up and idled. That move in its self left the horse nothing in the stretch. Im pretty objective when I watch rides, and although it may not be one of his worst, it certainly cost the horse any chance to win
No doubt. But let's try an experiment. Compare the trip of this horse vis a vis that of Must be Gold, GP-02-28-08_R1. Who would you want to bet next out with your last dollar?

Here's how I've settled into looking at things. I can watch races very closely and notice many subtle things that I feel cost a horse a race. And, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this approach, as it's worked for me in the past and I still rely on it AFTER I've identified a potential big race by a horse. Or, I can look at broader issues; specifically, how did the horse perform given the way the race was run?

I then have 2 options: I can make 'excuses' for horses that didn't get the best of trips but didn't exactly put in stellar performances, either (for an example, we have Smokin Rosell, today's 6th at GP ---why did some feel she had bad trips last 2 races?)
OR
I can pick out the trips where a horse ran huge in spite of the race setup or trip/ride. Now, it might seem, at first glance, that the 2nd option would typically involve only chalk. Not the case, however. If you focus on horses that ran exceptionally given the shape of the race, you'll typically get a good performance next out at decent odds. To do this, you need to be able to 'view' the entire race, not just the numbers or trip of the individual horse.

My $.02 for what it's worth.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Watch Desormeaux's ride on A Bee C yesterday in the last at GSP. He was bound to get wide, then he decides to use the horse to gain the lead, then he decides he cant get the lead so he hangs himself 5 wide around the track. It was a criminal ride. In Kent's case the jockey should always be considered when making a wager
kent is one of the best in the world. he made me TONS OF MONEY AT SARATOGA AND EVEN MORE AT BELMONT SPRING.. BEFORE SARATOGA.