Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2007, 03:01 AM
Santa Anita

Yeah he's a really hard horse to follow...brilliant sometimes, but downright awful the rest of the time.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Santa Anita

DERBY UPDATE

A few horses taking their first steps along the long road to the Derby in March...

BRUXAAR - 3 g Xaar - Kindergarten - 3 starts, 2 wins, 1 third
Trainer Allan Sharrock, who won the Derby last year with Wahid, rates this horse as "one of the best I've trained". This is a huge call. He's going to the Levin Classic (G1) later this month and is going to be very hard to beat in that.

BERIO - 3 g Zabeel - Abbaye - 1 start, 1 win
Huge debut win this weekend, looks like a big powerful boy who won't have any trouble with the Derby distance. Look out.

THUMBS UP - 3 g Shinko King - Regelle - 1 start, 1 win
Went out at 44-1 on debut on Wednesday and was 4 lengths behind the 2nd last horse around the final turn...flew down the outside and won with ease. That field was probably not the strongest, but what a win.

NOM DU JEU - 3 c Montjeu - Prized Gem - 5 starts, 1 win, 1 second, 1 third
By Montjeu out of a dual G1 winning mare, Nom Du Jeu is bred to be pretty good. And looks it. Getting better all the time, and no doubt about handling the distance. This colt would be my pick to win on the first Saturday in March at the moment, if he continues to improve at the rate he is at the moment.

SIX O'CLOCK NEWS - 3 g Zabeel - Maurine - 2 starts, 1 second
Amazing breeding (son of multiple G1 winning mare), and is getting better as he runs over more and more distance. Another big powerful guy.

It's great to see these ones start to appear, but they have a long way to go to reach the level of the horses heading to Riccarton for the 2000 Guineas on the 17th...

RIOS - 3 c Hussonet - Gussy Godiva - 5 starts, 3 wins, 1 placing
Current favourite for both the 2000 Guineas and the Derby. Was inexperienced in his 2 starts last season but unbeaten in 3 races as a 3yo...and so impressive. Hard to see him losing the 2000 Guineas and a lot of people are willing to hand him the Derby trophy already. That's a bit premature but he definitely looks something special.

PIERRE JOSEPH - 3 c Redoute's Choice - Market Price - 8 starts, 1 win, 2 seconds, 1 third
One of the highest prices paid at the yearling sales, but hasn't quite lived up to it yet. Huge run in the Wellington Guineas for fourth last start though over a mile, finished faster than anything in the race including Rios. Looks like he's crying out for the Derby distance.

THE POOKA - 3 g Tobougg - The Banchee - 10 starts, 3 wins, 1 second, 1 third
Has been running against older horses this year, stronger company than any other 3yo has raced against. Hard to judge how he'll go in age group company, but he should find it easier.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Saratoga

Oooooh, Rios!

He's been impressive.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Santa Anita

He has!

The jockey, David Walsh, says he's possibly the best he's ridden...and this is a guy with over 1900 wins.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_
He has!

The jockey, David Walsh, says he's possibly the best he's ridden...and this is a guy with over 1900 wins.
Very cool.

The Pooka... can you tell me a little more about him? I haven't heard his name before.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Santa Anita

Sure.

He's by Irish sire Tobougg, from a NZ mare The Banchee (O'Reilly - Awave).

As a 2yo he had 7 starts for 3 wins, 1 second and 1 third. He won his first race by 10 lengths, was 3rd in a stakes race in his 2nd and then won a G2 in his third. He was a bit disappointing in the two G1s at the end of the season though, finishing 12th and 14th.

As a 3yo he hasn't faced horses his own age yet! His owners thought he was good enough to race against the older horses in the 3 Spring G1s at Hawke's Bay, and he finished 5th and 4th in the first two (both of those were amazingly good runs) and 13th in the Kelt.

No one knows how he'll go against his own age group.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Santa Anita

Everyone's heading down South to Riccarton in Christchurch for their biggest week of the year. Wish I could go.

The main race on Saturday is one I've been excited about for a couple of months:

Race 7 3:45pm
NEW ZEALAND 1000 GUINEAS
3yo Fillies
1600m

# FORM HORSE DRAW RTG WGT JOCKEY TRAINER
1 111 Anna Bek 11 80 56.0 Gavin McKeon Warren Bolton, New Plymouth
2 156 Double Or Nothin (AUS) 8 68 56.0 Andrew Calder Frank Ritchie, Cambridge
3 X3653 Emily Jane 7 69 56.0 Bruce Herd Charles Walding, Awapuni
4 1412 Insouciant 9 78 56.0 Michael Walker Mark Walker, Matamata
5 7X322 Keepa Cruisin 2 76 56.0 Leith Innes Stephen McKee, Ardmore
6 6X122 Lady Lucille 6 70 56.0 Lisa Cropp Robert Priscott, Te Awamutu
7 31432 Lady Sakura 3 78 56.0 Jamie Bullard Mark Walker, Rangiora
8 311 Lovetrista (AUS) 5 83 56.0 Jason Waddell John Sargent, Matamata
9 31151 Oxford Aunt 1 76 56.0 Chris Johnson Pam Robson, Riccarton Park
10 63243 Rathsallagh 4 68 56.0 Chad Ormsby (a) Russell Cameron & Gareth McRae, Pukekohe Park
11 11266 Special Mission 10 82 56.0 Noel Harris Mark Walker, Matamata

Lovetrista's at even money, understandably. But there are loads of other really good fillies in there, like the undefeated Anna Bek (4-1), the impressive Double Or Nothin (6-1), Insouciant (11-1) and Seachange's half-sister Keepa Cruisin (12-1).

Should be a great race!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 AM
Santa Anita

PPs for the 1000 Guineas:
https://www.ebetonline.co.nz/forms/2...#view=FitH,top
Old 11-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Santa Anita

The 1000 Guineas winner for 2007 is - INSOUCIANT

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TItXMsq2wro
(There's a nasty spill early in the race - both horses were OK. One jockey sprained his wrist, the other rode the winner of the next race! Lucky no one was seriously hurt).

Now here's some information about our first Classic winner for the 2007-08 season.

Pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/insouciant4

By reasonably young sire Keeper (who was also the sire of 2nd placegetter Keepa Cruisin, the half-sister to Seachange), Insouciant is a homebred from Pencarrow Stud (actually all of the first 3 were homebreds from dominant studs in NZ, with Keepa Crusin from The Oaks and Lovetrista from Cambridge) out of their Palace Music mare Loudenne.

She won her first race by 10 lengths at Taupo, but then went straight into G3 company at Hastings and her inexperience cost her. She moved from 8th to 3rd with a stunning burst of speed but then kept ducking in towards the inside and in the end finished only fourth behind Diamond Deck. Back in a lesser race a couple of weeks later, she coasted to an effortless 5 length win.

Insouciant's fourth start was a memorable stretch duel with the then undefeated Anna Bek, with the latter just prevailing after an epic battle. Insouciant had worked hard in the lead throughout this race and tired in the final stages, but we got a first glimpse of her toughness when she refused to lie down. (Anna Bek found the mile too far in the Guineas and faded to finish 6th)

And 1000 Guineas day was her day. Given a beautiful ride at the front by Michael Walker, the filly's kick at the top of the straight was too strong for her rivals, and she left them in her wake.

It doesn't look like she'll go much further than a mile, unlike 3rd Lovetrista and 4th Double Or Nothin. But I'm sure she has plenty of wins ahead over distances up to and including a mile. Pencarrow have probably the best horse they've had since Caulfield-Melbourne Cup winner Ethereal.

Guineas week continues on Wednesday with a G3 race for mares, a G3 sprint and a G2 mile. The 2000 Guineas is run next Saturday. Can't wait.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Saratoga

Thanks for all the answers and the updates.....
Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Santa Anita

Was pretty good racing on the middle day of Guineas week today, despite a rain-affected track.

The G3 Stewards Stakes ended in a dead heat between Coup Bloomsbury and O'Cartier, with Superalloy only a nose away in 3rd! Great finish.

And a consistent performer got a well-deserved in the main race, the G2 Coupland's Mile. Final Reality (39:9-9-4) has been placed in so many major races, including the Derby and 2000 Guineas two seasons ago, and this was his first win at anything higher than G3 level.

His stablemate Benelli ran 2nd, a great performance by trainer Michael Pitman.

Also, there was an exciting performance on the undercard by a 3yo called C'est La Guerre. He was favourite after impressively winning his only previous start, but looked hopeless after dropping back to last on the turn for home. But then he accelerated amazingly, hit the lead half way up the straight and comfortably held off some late challenges. Now he's 2-for-2, looks like an exciting horse.

Now we look ahead to the 2000 Guineas on Saturday. The field:

1 Alamosa
2 Eel Win
3 Hold It Harvey
4 Letsleeponit
5 Pierre Joseph
6 Rios
7 The Pooka
8 Yao
9 Zlato

Small field, but very high on quality. PPs to come tomorrow.

Last edited by _ed_ : 11-14-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Saratoga

Rios!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Santa Anita

Rios and The Pooka are both 3-1, Alamosa 4-1 and Pierre Joseph 7-1.

PPs: https://www.ebetonline.co.nz/forms/2..._M6_R9_Ext.pdf
Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Rios and The Pooka are both 3-1, Alamosa 4-1 and Pierre Joseph 7-1.

PPs: https://www.ebetonline.co.nz/forms/2..._M6_R9_Ext.pdf

Ed,

Have you ever seen our Daily Racing form PP's.
If so, do you think NZ and Oz will ever have the info that we offer?

Also, do you watch tapes before handicapping? Are there anything like the sheets #'s in NZ?

Just curious what New Zealanders use to handicap the races vs in the states.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Santa Anita

I have seen your PPs, certainly much more exhaustive than ours and I doubt ours will ever be as good as that.

We have a couple of websites that provide detailed sectional times (we focus on how fast horses run the last 600 (3 furlongs) rather than times from the start), but I think the main tool bettors use here is the NZ Racing website, which has video replays of every race. Time-consuming, but it's a popular method.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Santa Anita

The 2007 2000 Guineas winner - THE POOKA

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNBRlkm1bi8

This was an incredible race. The Pooka and Alamosa, side by side, in an awesome duel all the way down what both riders would agree is an extremely long Riccarton stretch. In the end it was The Pooka, who had run well against the older horses earlier in the year, who had the head in front at the wire.

Rios and Pierre Joseph both finished off strongly and will be better over more distance. Those two horses, and The Pooka, are heading for the Derby in March.

THE POOKA
Tobougg - The Banchee

Trainer John Wheeler says this 3yo is "the 4th best horse I've ever trained". That might not sound like much, but the 3 best horses he's trained are champions Rough Habit and Veandercross and Cox Plate winner Poetic Prince. So it's actually a pretty big call!

In September he finished 4th behind undeniably NZ's 3 best older horses - Seachange, Sir Slick and Princess Coup - in the G1 Stoneybridge Stakes at Hastings.

We weren't really sure how he'd go against his own age group, but we found out today. It was only a narrow win, but hugely impressive.

He's now won 5 out of 12 starts, with 1 second, 1 third, 1 fourth and 1 fifth.

I still haven't got over how good this race was.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Saratoga

I'll watch the replay when I'm awake... thanks for posting it!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Santa Anita

First entries for the Derby:
http://www.nzracing.co.nz/Meetings/M...474/1#raceLink

254 entries. You can get more information about any horse by clicking on its name.

Leading trainers:
John Sargent 9 entries
Richard Yuill 9
Murray Baker 9
Mike Moroney 9
Lance O'Sullivan 8
Mark Walker 7
Old 11-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Santa Anita

4 stakes races at Ellerslie this Saturday.

G2 Counties Cup (2100m handicap) - Featuring Shariat's On Fire, Stand Tall (Zabeel - Grand Archway), Gaze, Kerry O'Reilly, Figure Of Speech, Ombre Rose and Altesino.

G2 Auckland Breeders Stakes (1400m fillies & mares) - Featuring Dorabella, Irlanda, Zerello, Prize Lady (2007 Auckland Cup winner), Ististar and Penny Florence.

First Sovereign Trust Stakes (1100m handicap) - Featuring Crossyourheart (6 starts, 5 wins), Martini Red (3 starts, 3 wins), Imananabaa, Magic Tryst, Brianna, Pinsoir and Devoted.

Murdoch Newell Stakes (1100m 2yo) - Featuring Vincent Mangano, Khaspa and Key Message.

The undercard also has some really good horses running, such as Genuine Offer (undefeated this season), Derby-bound Thumbs Up, and quality horses like Black Panther, Chettak and The Cosmob.

Looks like a great day of racing. I'll be there, but I'm not quite as excited as I should be...on Friday night I see my favourite band, Muse, here in Auckland and on Sunday night I see them again down in Christchurch. Busy weekend!

So I probably won't have time to be on here much in the next couple of days.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
4 stakes races at Ellerslie this Saturday.

G2 Counties Cup (2100m handicap) - Featuring Shariat's On Fire, Stand Tall (Zabeel - Grand Archway), Gaze, Kerry O'Reilly, Figure Of Speech, Ombre Rose and Altesino.

G2 Auckland Breeders Stakes (1400m fillies & mares) - Featuring Dorabella, Irlanda, Zerello, Prize Lady (2007 Auckland Cup winner), Ististar and Penny Florence.

First Sovereign Trust Stakes (1100m handicap) - Featuring Crossyourheart (6 starts, 5 wins), Martini Red (3 starts, 3 wins), Imananabaa, Magic Tryst, Brianna, Pinsoir and Devoted.

Murdoch Newell Stakes (1100m 2yo) - Featuring Vincent Mangano, Khaspa and Key Message.

The undercard also has some really good horses running, such as Genuine Offer (undefeated this season), Derby-bound Thumbs Up, and quality horses like Black Panther, Chettak and The Cosmob.

Looks like a great day of racing. I'll be there, but I'm not quite as excited as I should be...on Friday night I see my favourite band, Muse, here in Auckland and on Sunday night I see them again down in Christchurch. Busy weekend!

So I probably won't have time to be on here much in the next couple of days.
I like Muse too.

Have a great time and thanks for the updates.