Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Santa Anita

Default New Zealand Racing

I've decided I'll put all NZ racing stuff in one thread instead of annoying people who aren't interested with a new thread for everything.

Some outstanding racing this week, mainly some potential stars of what looks like a very strong 3yo crop.

* Insouciant (3 f Keeper - Loudenne) was so impressive with her debut performance that she is now 7-1 second favourite with the TAB for the 1000 Guineas at Riccarton in November. Owned by Pencarrow Stud (of Ethereal fame), she won a 1200m maiden at Taupo by 6 lengths in 1:11.92. Don't know if I've seen a more dominant debut performance than that. Stunning.

* Later the same day at Taupo Abbey Way (3 c Encosta De Lago - Forlorna, 2:2-0-0) won his second start to remain unbeaten, beating a field of talented horses by 3. He's now 11-1 for the 2000 Guineas.

* And again at Taupo, G1 Diamond Stakes winner of last season Alamosa (3 c O'Reilly - Lodore Mystic, 9:4-2-1) started off his 3yo campaign with an effortless victory. According to rider Gavin McKeon, the horse produced an amazing burst of acceleration but then decided his job was done once he hit the lead half way down the stretch, so the 1-length margin in the end is not a fair indication of how easily he won. He's at 7-1 for the 2000 Guineas.

* Yesterday at Ruakaka a filly called Double Or Nothin (3 f Helissio - Unbeleevable) won her debut so impressively that she's dropped from 100-1 to 20-1 for the 1000 Guineas. I was there at the track and the turn of foot she showed to go from mid-pack to 3 lengths in front in the space of about a furlong was absolutely incredible.

* At the same track Silk Spur (2 f Rusty Spur - Silk Purse, 2:2-0-0) won by 3. There have been two 2yo races so far this season, she's won them both. Not sure how far she'll go but she's a speed machine!

* The main race of the day was down at Awapuni, the G3 Merial Mile. It was won well by the underrated Bonjour (7 g Frenchpark - Buyers Dilemma, 26:8-1-6), who got a well-deserved first win at this level after many placings (even one at G1 level).

Next Saturday is a big day at Hastings, including the second leg of the spring treble for older horses, the Stoney Bridge Stakes over a mile. Seachange is currently at even money, and it's hard to see her being beaten although Cog Hill and J'Adane, who were taking ground off her at the end of the Mudgway, will like the extra distance.

There's also the G3 Highview Stakes for fillies, which is likely to include the amazing Special Mission (3 f Towkay - Te Akau Trek, 3:3-0-0), who has been so amazing in all three of her races so far. She won her first by 7, then was even more impressive in stakes races in her last two. Should be a walk in the park for her, she looks one of the best fillies we've got...look forward to seeing her take on Insouciant in November though!

Can't wait until these good 3yos have to face each other for the first time, they're all avoiding each other at the moment of course. Can't do that forever.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Saratoga

Thanks for a fun read..... I think I've heard of two of these horses ed!

Keep us up to date!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Santa Anita

Just in case you desperately need something to do, I've chucked the most impressive wins of the week up on Youtube.

Insouciant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvouD99jAaw
Alamosa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilr5r1kwR6E
Double Or Nothin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy4ilzbzH5M
Old 09-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_
I've decided I'll put all NZ racing stuff in one thread instead of annoying people who aren't interested with a new thread for everything.

* Yesterday at Ruakaka a filly called Double Or Nothin (3 f Helissio - Unbeleevable) won her debut so impressively that she's dropped from 100-1 to 20-1 for the 1000 Guineas. I was there at the track and the turn of foot she showed to go from mid-pack to 3 lengths in front in the space of about a furlong was absolutely incredible.
That was an impressive filly to have a debut race like that. When the camera had the close up shot of her in the backstretch, before going into the turn, you could see the jock had plenty under him. Nice splitting the field and then kept to her business late.

I was at Ellerslie just about a year ago and had a wonderful time. I bet a filly who won the Soliloquy Stakes. Her name was Imananabaa. I bet her because her mother is named Iman.

Crossing The Line and Black Mamba are two NZ exports that prove you have quality horses down there.

By the way, while driving a car down there I only made one wrong turn. Lucky nobody was coming at me.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Santa Anita

Great to hear you had a good time at Ellerslie, that's my home track.

I was there that day too, Imananabaa failed to get the distance of some of the better fillies races later in the season but has turned into a good sprinter, G1-placed near the end of last season. Haven't seen her yet this spring.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Just in case you desperately need something to do, I've chucked the most impressive wins of the week up on Youtube.

Insouciant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvouD99jAaw
Alamosa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilr5r1kwR6E
Double Or Nothin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy4ilzbzH5M
THANK YOU!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Saratoga

The eagle has landed.

You go, Jokers Wild.

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/ra...asp?NID=112316
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Santa Anita

Good luck to him! Although in a way I don't want him to win because it sounds a bit like they'll retire him as soon as he gets an Australian G1 win.

Anyway, fields for Hastings on Saturday:

STONEYBRIDGE STAKES (G1)
1 2327X Railings (AUS) 1 115 59.0 Mark Hills Roger James, Cambridge
2 X1532 Cog Hill 13 112 59.0 Richard Collett & Shane Hapeta, Pukekohe Park
3 10X07 Sir Slick 3 110 59.0 Bruce Herd Graeme Nicholson, Te Aroha
4 50X58 Jurys Out 6 101 59.0 David & Sarah Haworth, Foxton
5 14713 Spin Around (AUS) 2 100 59.0 Steven Cooper, Ardmore
6 2X151 Seachange 4 110 56.5 Gavin McKeon Ralph Manning, Cambridge
7 022X0 Gaze 12 103 56.5 David Walsh Roger James, Cambridge
8 X4525 Ombre Rose 7 95 56.5 Brian Hibberd Shane Marr, Riccarton Park
9 310X6 Splashing Out 9 96 56.0 Michael Coleman Guy Lowry, Hastings
10 91127 Porotene Gem 14 94 56.0 Kevin Gray, Copper Belt Lodge, Palmerston North
11 11X60 Princess Coup (AUS) 10 94 56.0 Noel Harris Mark Walker, Matamata
12 3X591 Veloce Bella 5 94 56.0 Mark Brosnan, Matamata
13 32233 J'Adane 8 90 56.0 Russell Cameron & Gareth McRae, Pukekohe Park
14 100X5 The Pooka (AUS) 11 83 50.5 John Wheeler, New Plymouth

Seachange is so hard to beat here, at even money with the TAB. I thought the only chance they had to beat her was if she got an outside gate with the short run to the turn from the mile start, but she's got 4.

HIGHVIEW STAKES (G3)
1 111 Special Mission 7 82 56.0 Reese Jones Mark Walker, Matamata
2 1138X Satinka 6 80 56.0 Mark Du Plessis Lance O'Sullivan & Andrew Scott, Matamata
3 2329X Diamond Deck 9 78 56.0 Robert Priscott, Te Awamutu
4 660X3 Emily Jane 2 69 56.0 Bruce Herd Charles Walding, Awapuni
5 7041 Strategic Decision 5 69 56.0 Steven Pinfold, Byerley Park, Kingseat
6 1 Insouciant 8 68 56.0 Michael Walker Mark Walker, Matamata
7 421 Royal Taat 3 68 56.0 Jim Collett, Matamata
8 9X254 Use To Be A Dancer 1 59 56.0 Patrick Bell (a) Grant Searle, Awapuni
9 3X7 Stravinskys Affair 4 56 56.0 Kevin Gray, Copper Belt Lodge, Palmerston North

Wow. Can't wait for this race.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Saratoga

Oh I'm sorry but i have to be sentimental here (big shock ) and go with Railings.

When you have time can you tell me about the horses in the Highview?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Santa Anita

Railings has drawn the inside gate, that will help him, but I think he might just find the distance too short. Think he's a big chance in the Kelt over more distance in a couple of weeks though.

Here's some info on the main chances in the Highview:

Special Mission: 3 f (obviously, all of them are!) Towkay - Te Akau Trek, 3:3-0-0
Unbeaten in 3. She won her maiden by 7 lengths, and has won 2 stakes since. Her last win was against a previously unbeaten and very good filly called Dashing Donna and it was a really impressive win.

Satinka: Stravinsky - Miss Saigon, 5:2-0-1
Won a nice G2 race as a 2yo before running 3rd against the boys in the strongest G1 of last season, the Diamond Stakes. Seems to run a really bad race from time to time though (her formline is 81138).

Diamond Deck: Octagonal - Miss Trump, 4:0-2-1
Can't believe she's still a maiden! Placed in 3 stakes races. She's a 3/4 sister to Lonhro (Miss Trump is a daughter of Lonhro's dam Shadea). Current favourite for the 1000 Guineas even though she hasn't won a race yet! That's just how impressive she has been in defeat so far.

Insouciant: Keeper - Loudenne, 1:1-0-0
A big step up from her maiden win (I posted a Youtube link to that one earlier), but she looked so good in that race, I'm sure she's got the ability to be competitive at this level. From a good family, half-sister to a nice G2 winner called Copper Mountain.

I think the winner will come from those 4...no idea which one though!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

Diamond Deck: Octagonal - Miss Trump, 4:0-2-1
Can't believe she's still a maiden! Placed in 3 stakes races. She's a 3/4 sister to Lonhro (Miss Trump is a daughter of Lonhro's dam Shadea). Current favourite for the 1000 Guineas even though she hasn't won a race yet! That's just how impressive she has been in defeat so far.
Ooooh, I love it when they deserve to win and she's related to Lonhro? I'll root for this one!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Santa Anita

Highview Stakes:

Diamond Deck
Special Mission
Royal Taat

She did it! Great performance. She was well back in the field but ran on powerfully down the outside to run down the tearaway pacemakers Special Mission (who fought on well) and Satinka. She's finally broken her maiden, and done so in a G3, the strongest 3yo race of the season so far.

Special Mission was so brave, and has now won 3 out of 4 with a great 2nd in the other race.

Insouciant had a terrible run, missed the jump and was hanging badly all the way down the straight, did well to get 4th. Probably wouldn't have beaten Diamond Deck with a good run, but should have been 2nd. Can forgive her for this run if she learns to behave herself properly in future.

Amazing day for The Oaks Stud so far, they won the first with Keeperinthemyst and now Diamond Deck has carried their colours to victory in the Highview...and they've got Seachange in the Stoneybridge.

The undercard races have been good, I was really happy to see 2 stakes winners at Ellerslie from last season come out and win today. Russian Conquest (3 c St. Petersburg - Woodminco, 10:4-1-0) led all the way and held on to beat the highly rated El Cuento and unbeaten Fritzy Boy in a 3-way photo, then Bonaichi (4 m Fusaichi Pegasus - Bonanova, 13:3-2-0) was near the back around the turn but flew down the outside and won by an increasing margin.

Now just an hour until the Stoneybridge. Result of that and videos of both races to come a bit later.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Saratoga

Oh nice!

Thanks for the results..... I was just trying to find them and had given up.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Santa Anita

And a G3-winning and G1-placed filly from last season Irlanda (4 m O'Reilly - Cenphic, 10:4-3-1) has just come out and won the Bay Ford Stakes for fillies & mares. Nice to see her back to her best!

On to the Stoneybridge.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Santa Anita

Seachange
Sir Slick
Princess Coup

They didn't think it was worth taking her to the sales as a yearling because her front right leg is so badly formed and swings out when she runs. And they hoped she would finish in the first 5 in her first start in a maiden...now she's won 12 out of 20 and 5 G1s. And she just tries so hard every time, it's impossible not to love her.

Sir Slick was brave in defeat but Seachange cruised up beside him while McKeon had her under a tight hold, and she just drew away.

Princess Coup flew from well back to get 3rd, the Kelt in 2 weeks is a perfect race for her...if she can beat Seachange.

And Railings went a very nice race over a distance too short for him, he was way back around the turn but ran on nicely to finish about 7th.

I'll post videos a little bit later.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Santa Anita

Videos:

Highview Stakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLB9GSYlILU
Stoneybridge Stakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0WIqyfu8n8
Old 09-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
And Railings went a very nice race over a distance too short for him, he was way back around the turn but ran on nicely to finish about 7th.
Awww, thanks for the visual. Good boy! (Him, not you).

(Oh okay you too...)

I'll watch the videos in a bit when i'm awake.

Thanks for the results!
Old 09-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Saratoga

Damn.

Feel better, good boy.

Injury for Jokers Wild after Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes
26 Sep 2007
By Rob Burnet

Former top New Zealand two-year-old Jokers Wild (NZ) sustained a chipped knee in his right-front fetlock after his run in last Saturday’s Group I Sir Rupert Clark Stakes (1400m)at Caulfield.

News of the injury was reported on Wednesday and connections are presently considering their options over the top-line galloper.

Jokers Wild, a four-year-old entire by Black Minnaloushe, is a multiple Group I winner, including the Manawatu Sires’ Produce Stakes at Awapuni.

His last win was in the Group II Wellington Guineas over 1600m at Hastings in October 2006, but he raced against the best at three including two Group I placings that season on some unsuitable tracks.

Trainers Mike and Paul Moroney started his latest campaign in the Group I Mudgway Stakes over 1400m at Hastings on September 1st, and a first up fourth was the result behind the flying mare Seachange.

Overall his race career to-date is 20 starts for seven wins and five placings, with stakes of $A353,000.

In other news ex-pat New Zealand jockey Greg Childs returns from Melbourne to ride Railings in the Group I Kelt Capital Stakes (2040m) at Hastings on October 6th. Childs rode Railings, by Zabeel, to victory in the 2005 Caulfield Cup (2400m).
Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 AM
Santa Anita

Yeah. I hope we see him race again, don't think we've seen the best of him.

First stakes races of the summer at NZ's main track on Saturday! Bonecrusher and Soliloquy Stakes at Ellerslie. Looks like some nice fields for those 2 races, with the likes of Pierre Joseph, Double Or Nothin, Rios and Lovetrista running.

It'll be my first trip to Ellerslie since April. The crowd won't look anything like the Derby Day picture I've got as my avatar, but I always love racing at the big E so I'm really looking forward to it.

They should be good races, so I'll put the videos up as usual...but mainly to show off how awesome my home track is.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Yeah. I hope we see him race again, don't think we've seen the best of him.

First stakes races of the summer at NZ's main track on Saturday! Bonecrusher and Soliloquy Stakes at Ellerslie. Looks like some nice fields for those 2 races, with the likes of Pierre Joseph, Double Or Nothin, Rios and Lovetrista running.

It'll be my first trip to Ellerslie since April. The crowd won't look anything like the Derby Day picture I've got as my avatar, but I always love racing at the big E so I'm really looking forward to it.

They should be good races, so I'll put the videos up as usual...but mainly to show off how awesome my home track is.
Wait a minute, is that the same Bonecrusher as the one who ran in Dubai last season?
http://www.emiratesracing.com/eq/Inq...ch=bonecrusher