Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
Did i ever mention it was a tight budget? No?

Lets just say they are more careful with their money than the Godolphin crew, by far.

Both are bad for spending the amounts of money they do, but Godolphin do it much more often than Coomore do.

I'm not talking about yearlings by the way, this topic was never about yearlings! It was the stupid amounts that they pay for the older horses already in training and been on the track.

Ever see Coolmore do that? No, didn't think so.
Whether it's yearlings or older horses in training, it's their money and it helps the little guy they are buying from. What's the problem with that?!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Whether it's yearlings or older horses in training, it's their money and it helps the little guy they are buying from. What's the problem with that?!
That is the problem, it's helping the sellers, but not helping racing at all. Most of these owners they are buying from don't bother re investing it into racing as they cannot keep up with the dominance and they know as soon as they get a half decent horse, a bid which they cannot refuse will come in for Godolphin.

I wouldn't mind, but they buy these horses and then ruin them, that is what annoys me the most. I want to see these good horses, but as soon as they go to Godolphin, the chance of seeing them do any good again is almost nill.

I was speaking to someone from a top yard the other day, an one of their star fillies looks like she will going to Godolphin at the end of the season, he just said "well, that's another to hit the dust", same happened with another horse he used to look after named Vista Bella. It's heartbraking for these people.

In my opinion, they are ruining racing in the UK.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Flemington

Quote:
That is the problem, it's helping the sellers, but not helping racing at all. Most of these owners they are buying from don't bother re investing it into racing as they cannot keep up with the dominance and they know as soon as they get a half decent horse, a bid which they cannot refuse will come in for Godolphin.

I wouldn't mind, but they buy these horses and then ruin them, that is what annoys me the most. I want to see these good horses, but as soon as they go to Godolphin, the chance of seeing them do any good again is almost nill.

I was speaking to someone from a top yard the other day, an one of their star fillies looks like she will going to Godolphin at the end of the season, he just said "well, that's another to hit the dust", same happened with another horse he used to look after named Vista Bella. It's heartbraking for these people.

And that is Godolphin's problem how?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Dude, don't you work for Coomore? How can anyone take your opinion on the matter at face value?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:21 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
If they didn't buy these old horses for 10 times their value year after year, it wouldn't really happen. Smaller owners would not feel pressured into making a sale and they wouldn't feel like they were being dominated all of the time.

It is driving many of the smaller owners out of the industry. They take their money and run and put it into an industry with a greater return.

The problem is that it is these owners that the horse racing authorities are trying to appeal to, but how can they when this is happening?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Dude, don't you work for Coomore? How can anyone take your opinion on the matter at face value?

Wrong.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Flemington

Quote:
If they didn't buy these old horses for 10 times their value year after year, it wouldn't really happen. Smaller owners would not feel pressured into making a sale and they wouldn't feel like they were being dominated all of the time.

It is driving many of the smaller owners out of the industry. They take their money and run and put it into an industry with a greater return.

The problem is that it is these owners that the horse racing authorities are trying to appeal to, but how can they when this is happening?
Being dominated?! Ha,ha,ha! These people are making out like bandits...they are the bad guys in the situation if they are not choosing to re-invest in the sport and obviously they are the ones who do not give a damn about the sport to not do so. Horseracing is a sport which you get into knowing you're probably going to take a loss and if they are failing to realize this when they get in then obviously they are the folks with the bad business plan.

You have a serious problem with people who have money.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
of course not and its also the kind of generic broadside that cannot be backed up. how in the world would anyone be able to keep track of what "these owners" are doing with their money?

i would think that most owners would be tickled pink to develop a horse that someone wants to purchase at an outrageuous sum. and as I always point out if they don't want to sell they are free not to, and I could understand that some might not want to part with the horse no matter what.

picturing myself in that situation I know I would be smiling and then trying to figure out how to do it again.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Being dominated?! Ha,ha,ha! These people are making out like bandits...they are the bad guys in the situation if they are not choosing to re-invest in the sport and obviously they are the ones who do not give a damn about the sport to not do so. Horseracing is a sport which you get into knowing you're probably going to take a loss and if they are failing to realize this when they get in then obviously they are the folks with the bad business plan.

You have a serious problem with people who have money.
They are not choosing to re invest into the sport because of the domination of certain big organisations. Owners have to make a living, no matter how big or small they are. Some of them get a nice horse and it gets snatched away from them.

It happens on a weekly basis over here.

If we didn't have Godolphin it wouldn't happen.

They apparently have a superb breeding organisation, so why don't they put faith into it and use the home bred horses? Instead of buying everyone else's? It is drawing the public away from racing, following nice horses until they get bought and then they disappear into a big blue hole.

They have no plan, just just try and buy themselves out of trouble, and so far it hasn't worked, and i doubt it ever will work with the money they spend and the fact they don't seem to put any faith in their breeding operation.

They need to sort themsleves out before they get left too far behind by Coolmore and Juddmonte.

Juddmonte do a fantastic job, they don't have to rely on other people's horses or other people's yearlings. But they too have the money to do so if they liked. Each year they have a successful one, doesn't this tell Godolphin/Darley anything. Doesn't it tell them that they are failing to run a business.

They seem to be unable to runa business and unable to train racehorses.

They have ruined the economy of Newmarket, they promised hundreds of jobs, where were they?

In America they have a different set up, and they succeed. While Crisford and Ferguson are at the head of affairs, the Godolphin downfall will continue.

That is all i have say.

Please feel free to visit Newmarket anytime you like and you will see what i'm talking about.

At the end of the day, i think this article is a really good piece of writing from a factual point of view. If anyone knows the Observer that well, they will know that this paper isn't the sort to write nonsense and not be able to back it's comments up.

Not opinion, but fact.

I'm done.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
They are not choosing to re invest into the sport because of the domination of certain big organisations. Owners have to make a living, no matter how big or small they are. Some of them get a nice horse and it gets snatched away from them.
So they snatch them away by paying 10 times the value for them? Those poor small owners CHOOSING to sell their horses for vast sums of money. How will they ever survive?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

It happens on a weekly basis over here.

If we didn't have Godolphin it wouldn't happen.

They apparently have a superb breeding organisation, so why don't they put faith into it and use the home bred horses? Instead of buying everyone else's? It is drawing the public away from racing, following nice horses until they get bought and then they disappear into a big blue hole.

They have no plan, just just try and buy themselves out of trouble, and so far it hasn't worked, and i doubt it ever will work with the money they spend and the fact they don't seem to put any faith in their breeding operation.

They need to sort themsleves out before they get left too far behind by Coolmore and Juddmonte.

Juddmonte do a fantastic job, they don't have to rely on other people's horses or other people's yearlings. But they too have the money to do so if they liked. Each year they have a successful one, doesn't this tell Godolphin/Darley anything. Doesn't it tell them that they are failing to run a business.

They seem to be unable to runa business and unable to train racehorses.

They have ruined the economy of Newmarket, they promised hundreds of jobs, where were they?

In America they have a different set up, and they succeed. While Crisford and Ferguson are at the head of affairs, the Godolphin downfall will continue.

That is all i have say.

Please feel free to visit Newmarket anytime you like and you will see what i'm talking about.

At the end of the day, i think this article is a really good piece of writing from a factual point of view. If anyone knows the Observer that well, they will know that this paper isn't the sort to write nonsense and not be able to back it's comments up.

Not opinion, but fact.

I'm done.
To be honest, I got the sense the article was based more than anything on disgruntled former employee points of view. Your friend, the former Goldolphin employee... was he let go or move on for better opportunity?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
They need to sort themsleves out before they get left too far behind by Coolmore and Juddmonte..
why do you care that they sort it out? I thought your claim was that they are ruining racing, wouldn't you want them to fall more behind and fail so that they don't ruin Newmarket?

Quote:

Not opinion, but fact.
It may have had some facts in it but it read to me like a hit piece, not some objective analysis of the situation. It did not appear balanced at all, it seemed like the objective was to fire a shot at them since they are having a down time over there. Come on, look at the title "What A Waste of Money".
Ostensibly the reason for the article was the result of the King George but its quite clear that they had this material prepared and were waiting for the right moment to unload.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
To be honest, I got the sense the article was based more than anything on disgruntled former employee points of view. Your friend, the former Goldolphin employee... was he let go or move on for better opportunity?
He went because was sick of the conflict between management he has moved to another management role away from racing.

The article was well written, and to my knowledge, the only former employees that gave opinions were those tha had left before things got bad there.

Vince (Smith) trains on his own now.

I still have two friends that are working there as work riders and both are training to do different things (one a farrier and the other a stock broker) to get away from it all.

Sniper - it is ruining the fun for the smaller owners. The money is certainly a bonus for them, but it ruins the fun of seeing their good horses run in their own silks and it stops them from going into ownership again for the majority of them.

Godolphin have far too much greed for their own good, and it is backfiring on them.

Reduce the buying of horses, reduce the size of the string, have a major management shake up, and they might be getting somewhere.

I would love to see them compete at racing level with Coolmore and Juddmonte, but they are failing to do that at the moment, but with the money and staff they have....... why? ask yourselves that.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Sniper - it is ruining the fun for the smaller owners. The money is certainly a bonus for them, but it ruins the fun of seeing their good horses run in their own silks and it stops them from going into ownership again for the majority of them.
If they are in it for the fun then they have every right to not take the money and run. Don't make them out to be victims.

For all the bashing that Jamie Sanders deservedly gets for her placement of horses at least she had the balls to tell people to F off when they wanted to vastly overpay for Teuflesberg.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
why do you care that they sort it out? I thought your claim was that they are ruining racing, wouldn't you want them to fall more behind and fail so that they don't ruin Newmarket?

It may have had some facts in it but it read to me like a hit piece, not some objective analysis of the situation. It did not appear balanced at all, it seemed like the objective was to fire a shot at them since they are having a down time over there. Come on, look at the title "What A Waste of Money".
Ostensibly the reason for the article was the result of the King George but its quite clear that they had this material prepared and were waiting for the right moment to unload.
I care because if they actually sort themselves out, there wouldn't be a need to buy everyone else's horses there wouldn't be a need to drive owners out of racing. When they are making money it will be good for racing, but while they are losing out bigtime, they are trying to get out of it by spending. They have shown that they cannot manage a big string, so buy continue to buy horses to add to that?

The article needed to be written by a sports writer that wasn't worried about a backlash, this is a rare thing in British journalism, especially in sports journalism. As i said, i didn't even know about it at first, but the person who told me said it couldn't be closer to the truth and i'm not being funny, but he worked there and would know much more about it than either me or you.

I would love to introduce you to some of the staff and let them give their opinions, they wouldn't be too far off those in that article.

However, i sense that many don't believe the article, so i will save my breath. No problem, everyone has their opinion and that is fair enough.

I shall comment with my opinions and knowledge no more

Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
If they are in it for the fun then they have every right to not take the money and run. Don't make them out to be victims.

For all the bashing that Jamie Sanders deservedly gets for her placement of horses at least she had the balls to tell people to F off when they wanted to vastly overpay for Teuflesberg.
I wish we had owners with that mentality, but sadly we don't. But having said that if Godolphin were not around, these purchases would be very rare, indeed.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I care because if they actually sort themselves out, there wouldn't be a need to buy everyone else's horses there wouldn't be a need to drive owners out of racing. When they are making money it will be good for racing, but while they are losing out bigtime, they are trying to get out of it by spending. They have shown that they cannot manage a big string, so buy continue to buy horses to add to that?

The article needed to be written by a sports writer that wasn't worried about a backlash, this is a rare thing in British journalism, especially in sports journalism. As i said, i didn't even know about it at first, but the person who told me said it couldn't be closer to the truth and i'm not being funny, but he worked there and would know much more about it than either me or you.

I would love to introduce you to some of the staff and let them give their opinions, they wouldn't be too far off those in that article.

However, i sense that many don't believe the article, so i will save my breath. No problem, everyone has their opinion and that is fair enough.

Well, that would be disappointing. I might not agree with all you wrote, but it's obvious you have conviction in your opinion.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
It wasn't a "hit piece" because of the timing of its publishing; many news features are prepared in advance and released when there is a "news peg" to illustrate its relevance.

The Diamond Stakes was the news peg for this piece.
Not sure what the Diamond stakes is, but the King George and QE is mentioned in the title and in the first sentence. I'm thinking it was the event that triggered the piece.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
is that a threat or a promise?

seriously, why the drama? everyone else is just doing the same as you, speaking their minds, and not implying that you shouldn't.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
The Curragh

I'm done with this thread.

If you don't want to believe fact, then there is nothing i can do about that.