Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigmore
http://www.attheraces.com/national/

good info here including replay of last years race...
thanks for the link, I will review it a bit tomorrow.

I did try to run the replay from last year, however it wouldn't run and I got the message "sorry, this video is for UK audiences only"

As a proud former colony, I would think that we are entitled to at least have a look at the replay!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Sam Houston

Sorry about that. I should have checked it before posting. I cant watch it either
Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uvlmf6YGbR0
Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
It's a tough call to say that the greatest jumper of all time is better known than one of the greatest Thoroughbreds of all time.

After reading some of the subsequent posts, this answer to the question of which race is the most popular worldwide did become much more unclear to me, though.
just to clarify, Red Rum wouldnt be considered the best steeplechaser of all time, simply the most recognised for winning the Grand National 3 times and finishing 2nd twice. the greatest ever steeplechaser unarguably goes to Arkle!

#Grand
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
I asked this question of hwjb a few months ago, and I need a refresher course: what is the difference (or differences) between steeplechase and hurdles? Is the height of the fences the difference?

Also, is the Cheltenham Gold Cup a steeplechase or hurdle event? (I noticed in the website that only one horse has completed the Cheltenham - Aintree double.)

Do the horses who jump the hurdles also compete in steeplechase racing?

The Grand National website was really interesting.

I think that I am waving the white flag on Aintree vs. Churchill Downs.

Chris,

the only difference between steeplechases and hurdles is the size of the obstacles. I believe that when ye guys say steeplechasing, to us, it is actually racing over hurdles. Thats what i saw in Saratoga anyway.

The Cheltenham Gold Cup is the most prestigious weight for age steeplechase. Its run over 3miles 2 and ahalf furlongs (i think, or thereabouts!). the most prestigious hurdle race is the champion hurdle run in Cheltenham over 2 miles. The only horse ever to win both was the best mare of all time - Dawn Run.

alot of horses start off with hurdles and progress onto fences as they get older, but some have mixed the two with success. Furthermore, plenty jumpers race on the flat as well.

I have to admit, unfortunately, that the Derby in Churchill is far more prestigious these days than the original Derby in Epsom!

#Grand
Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
14.6 million people did not watch the Kentucky Derby in 2004. The number is much, much higher, or racing would not exist in the United States as it exists currently.

That total does not take into effect the number of people crammed into OTBs and those who attend tracks on that day. Also, how can you quantify the number of people who watch the Derby with groups of fellow handicappers or sports fans? This is the shortcoming of rating the popularity of any sports event now: Nielsen and any other TV ratings group cannot count the number of people in sports bars, or, as I just mentioned, people watching an event en masse.

and the TV audience quoted for the Grand National also doesnt take into account those in Betting Shops ( many many more than the number of OTB's in the US) or on race tracks in Brittain not to mention the rest of the world.

The shortcoming in the ratings calculations you mention is also applicable to ratings generated for the Grand National also.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Saratoga

Forgive me for being lazy..... I've not kept up on the news the past few days.

These are the horses i appreciate from afar..... too painful to watch yet i root for them and follow some.

Numbersix..... hope he can do it again. He was my pick last year.

I always end up rooting for Monk too..... is he likely?

I know, I know..... it's been a while since he's had a win, but still... I just like him.

My other question, and sorry for being lazy but i figure you guys will know... does Ruby have the Hedgehunter mount? Thanks.

For the love of God come home safe, ALL of you.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Saratoga

Declared runners.....

Hedgehunter, Eurotrek, L'Ami, Monkerhostin, Thisthatandtother, Billyvoddan, Numbersixvalverde, Idle Talk, Royal Auclair, Cloudy Bays, Knowhere, Kelami, Point Barrow, Celtic Son, Simon, Ballycassidy, Clan Royal, Gallant Approach, Livingstonebramble, Dun Doire, Kandjar D'Allier, Slim Pickings, Zabenz, Bewleys Berry, Longshanks, Bothar Na, Graphic Approach, Homer Wells, Liberthine, Silver Birch, Philson Run, Puntal, The Outlier, Tikram, McKelvey, Naunton Brook, Jack High, Sonevafushi, Joes Edge, Le Duc.

Come home safe.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Santa Anita

Im off tomorrow to Aintree so will give my quick opinion. Ill take these 4 - Hedgehunter - laid out for the race. has bags of class.
Point Barrow - the right type. An Irish National winner
Zabenz - will love the ground and jumps well. trip might stretch him but could have some fun and
Jack High - feather weight, he can run well!

#Grand
Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Forgive me for being lazy..... I've not kept up on the news the past few days.

These are the horses i appreciate from afar..... too painful to watch yet i root for them and follow some.

Numbersix..... hope he can do it again. He was my pick last year.

I always end up rooting for Monk too..... is he likely?

I know, I know..... it's been a while since he's had a win, but still... I just like him.

My other question, and sorry for being lazy but i figure you guys will know... does Ruby have the Hedgehunter mount? Thanks.

For the love of God come home safe, ALL of you.

Yes he does.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Yes he does.
Thanks.

i guess he was involved in an accident today..... hope the poor horse is okay. There was no mention.....

Here's free video form for anyone interested.....

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/free_video_form.sd
Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Saratoga

On Monk.....

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...al_101937.html

Monet's Garden won today!

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...al_152723.html

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 04-13-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Can't wait for The Chair.

Had Innox who went down at the first last year. Shortest bet I ever made.

Too bad it won't be on TVG this year, I'll have to watch on the computer.
Backed Point Barrow who went down at the first this year. Next year I'll post who I am backing and everyone can stay away.

I am a Grand National Mush.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Backed Point Barrow who went down at the first this year. Next year I'll post who I am backing and everyone can stay away.

I am a Grand National Mush.
Is he alright?

Silver Birch..... not one I'm familiar with but congrats to him and anyone who picked him.

Hope everyone came home okay. On another board they're saying the fallers are all okay. This is why i can't watch it.....
Old 04-15-2007, 05:26 AM
The Curragh

Just reading through this. I'm with you brockguy....... this is probably the most famous race in the world.

Ask anyone in the world who has no connection with racing what won the Grand National and 8 times out of 10 they will know. Ask the same person who won the KY Derby and i doubt any would have a clue.

It is the people's race where everyone gets involved and has a bet.

Easily the most famous race in the world, no matter how much people like/dislike the event.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Lincoln Fields

Fantastic success for Silver Birch and his first-season trainer Gordy Elliott. A really nice guy, who's only 29 years old, and hasn't even had a winner in his home country yet - and has only had four in all! Brilliant story...and not only cos I had some of the 33/1!!