Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Sunshine Park

Default jess jackson..villan(sp?) or necessary hero

i have been listening and observing comments for awhile now regarding this rapschallian (sp?) charachter for awhile now and have the following comments

this guy presenting himself as a devil is really a hero..any good story has a bad guy and a good guy..this is the bad guy racing needs and doesnt have..(we have enough percieved bad guys via doping scandals).this guy one way or another has the tools to be a present and inescapable bad guy with really really good horse flesh to back him up and thus a story or drama that todays society demands to be in the now moment which racing seems incabapable of achieving.

this guy presents the perfect foil..someone to root against or for based upon his horses ability to perform and nothing else. if he wins you can hate him but if he wins it sure is good for the game. it seems too easy to root agianst him so as a horseplayer yu have to be looking for a reason to suppport him.

good vs evil in the purest sense ..just like any good book you read..

he gvies you a reason to love or hate..something racing needs to reach the great unwashed who havent yetgotten the rush from a 2.00 bet..
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Sunshine Park

Default should have been posted in paddock

sorry
Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrajf
i have been listening and observing comments for awhile now regarding this rapschallian (sp?) charachter for awhile now and have the following comments

this guy presenting himself as a devil is really a hero..any good story has a bad guy and a good guy..this is the bad guy racing needs and doesnt have..(we have enough percieved bad guys via doping scandals).this guy one way or another has the tools to be a present and inescapable bad guy with really really good horse flesh to back him up and thus a story or drama that todays society demands to be in the now moment which racing seems incabapable of achieving.

this guy presents the perfect foil..someone to root against or for based upon his horses ability to perform and nothing else. if he wins you can hate him but if he wins it sure is good for the game. it seems too easy to root agianst him so as a horseplayer yu have to be looking for a reason to suppport him.

good vs evil in the purest sense ..just like any good book you read..

he gvies you a reason to love or hate..something racing needs to reach the great unwashed who havent yetgotten the rush from a 2.00 bet..
IMO he helps the game more then he hurts it.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Woodbine

as a horse player. i could care less. horses like curlin and rachel won't make you any good $, anyway(when they win). thats why i love the tv and the public handicappers, they go on and on about horses like this. like real horseplayers don't already know these horses are good. you see some of it posted here, the "this horse can't lose talk". in REALITY VERY, VERY FEW GO UNDEFEATED. people jump all over it and the odds become a popularity contest. after a while if you are a smart gambler you realize that the people that really win are the ones that figure out when these horses are vulnerable(heavy faves) and they beat them. my biggest scores have come when these kinds of horses LOSE! as a fan you got to love this guy. he runs his horses, he doesn't place them in "cinch" spots everytime so its good for the sport. think about it. if he didn't not own rachel, do you think she would be in these races? the other owner did not even want to try the boys. curlin ran on grass and poly even though he was unproven on both and a world champ on dirt. the rest of his generation retired and it was a good 3 yo year. alot of these folks don't have the gonads to try what he does. how can you fault a fellow gambler?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I like him. He's a bit over the top sometimes, but I like him.