Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Coach Pants

Default Lava Man owner adds fuel to the fire

Quote:
"Bernardini is scary, no doubt about it," owner Steve Kenly said. "But I don't think he's looked a horse in the eyes like Lava Man yet and pulled away."
Exactamundo. He's got the right attitude. Can't wait to see Lava Man back it up in the BCC.

Lava Man is my pick. I'll either crow or take heat for it after the race but I gotta take a stand against Bern.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Yeah I like the attitude as well, but I have a feeling both you and he will be having a nice meal of crow come November 4th. Lava has some real questions as he has shown that shipping is something he has not done well in the past, and call me crazy, but I have a feeling Bernardini would have had no problem looking the likes of Ace Blue, Magnum, Good Reward, Super Frolic and Giacomo and pulling away. Just as I'm sure Lava Man would have beat the fields of the Jim Dandy, Travers and JCGC...as long as they moved the race to California. Lava has had a spectacular year, but he will be soundly defeated BC day, and if not I'll eat some crow.
Lava Man will finish on the board IMO...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Yeah I like the attitude as well, but I have a feeling both you and he will be having a nice meal of crow come November 4th. Lava has some real questions as he has shown that shipping is something he has not done well in the past, and call me crazy, but I have a feeling Bernardini would have had no problem looking the likes of Ace Blue, Magnum, Good Reward, Super Frolic and Giacomo and pulling away. Just as I'm sure Lava Man would have beat the fields of the Jim Dandy, Travers and JCGC...as long as they moved the race to California. Lava has had a spectacular year, but he will be soundly defeated BC day, and if not I'll eat some crow.
Call me crazy but I don't think Lava will have a problem shipping this time. He's a completely different animal than the one we saw last year.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Santa Anita

Either Lava Man wins it, or he is going to be off the board. JMO. I think he is going to either be awesome or not show up.

Now I am not bashing him, because ya know I love me some gutsy geldings. Just stating my opinion.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Call me crazy but I don't think Lava will have a problem shipping this time. He's a completely different animal than the one we saw last year.
The problem I have with Lava Man is that he basically needs to be on the lead. I find it hard that he will be able to go 1 1/4 while holding off Bernardini and Invasor. He may do it, but I dont think he will.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
I don't agree with that, he has shown the ability to stalk and pounce, but I don't see it happening BC day.
I wouldnt say he has shown the ability to stalk. I have seem him press the pace, but I dont think he is the stalking type. Either way, I am with you he gets beat on BC.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Cunningham Racing

He's exactly right, and it won't happen again on Nov. 4 because Lava Man won't make it to Bernardini's flank before its lights out, gracie...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Like most tracks CD has it lightening fast on big days, I see this as an advantage to LM:

I think LM goes out from through modest fractions, can anyone tell me a confirmed front runner going in the Classic, there may be one, but I don't think so... I see him getting 6f in 1:12, Bernardini will run at him on the turn, LM will kick in and then we'll see what Bernardini is made of...I don't think Invasior or Sun King will be factors other than 2nd and 3rd...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:57 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
Like most tracks CD has it lightening fast on big days, I see this as an advantage to LM:

I think LM goes out from through modest fractions, can anyone tell me a confirmed front runner going in the Classic, there may be one, but I don't think so... I see him getting 6f in 1:12, Bernardini will run at him on the turn, LM will kick in and then we'll see what Bernardini is made of...I don't think Invasior or Sun King will be factors other than 2nd and 3rd...
Well Lawyer Ron might be on the lead.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Well Lawyer Ron might be on the lead.

I don't see LR running, I really don't, smart thing would be to wait until the Clark...If he does run, I don't think he'll be out there winging it...
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Fairgrounds

If Lawyer Ron and Ball 4 go, there's legitimate pace pressure there. It all depeneds if Lava can get alone on the lead and slow it down enough... even if he can, going a mile and 1/4 is gonna be too long to hold off the closers. He's a bet against for me, but if any horse breaks up my picks, I want it to be him.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 10-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Monmouth Park

Lava Man-->has beaten nobody of substance
Bernardini-->has also beaten nobody of substance

This will be a yawn of a BCC, going to Bernardini.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Lava Man-->has beaten nobody of substance
Bernardini-->has also beaten nobody of substance

This will be a yawn of a BCC, going to Bernardini.
I disagree. The Classic will be the best race of the year. We are all waiting to see the match up and hope that everybody shows up on their game.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Suffolk Downs

This is just my opinion, but what Lava man has been doing is beating his inferior comptetion with best turn times, pulling away in turn two. He has not yet been pressured in turn two. He was hanging late in the last two races but the competition was so inferior no one was coming to him. Doubt the same tactics win the Classic.

NC Tony
Old 10-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarolinaTony
This is just my opinion, but what Lava man has been doing is beating his inferior comptetion with best turn times, pulling away in turn two. He has not yet been pressured in turn two. He was hanging late in the last two races but the competition was so inferior no one was coming to him. Doubt the same tactics win the Classic.

NC Tony
Good analysis
Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Washington Park

Will be interesting to see the pace in here and I'm sensing a lack of it. Bright One was ready to run, but the egg he layed in the Indiana Derby have nixed that plan. Lawyer Ron was rank for Holthus, but who knows if Pletcher can turn him around or if he's even going here. Biancone mentioned Ball Four for the race, but that seems unlikely to me considering its not on the poly and longer than a Grand Slam probably wants to go. Perhaps Zito will run Wanderin Boy to help set up for Sun King even though that one had nothing for 'Dini in the JCGC. Brother Derek has proven that he doesnt need the lead as has Premium Tap (who'd need to supplement) so I think pace is in Lava Man's factor but my boy Dini should roll!!!!!

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 10-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
Will be interesting to see the pace in here and I'm sensing a lack of it. Bright One was ready to run, but the egg he layed in the Indiana Derby have nixed that plan. Lawyer Ron was rank for Holthus, but who knows if Pletcher can turn him around or if he's even going here. Biancone mentioned Ball Four for the race, but that seems unlikely to me considering its not on the poly and longer than a Grand Slam probably wants to go. Perhaps Zito will run Wanderin Boy to help set up for Sun King even though that one had nothing for 'Dini in the JCGC. Brother Derek has proven that he doesnt need the lead as has Premium Tap (who'd need to supplement) so I think pace is in Lava Man's factor but my boy Dini should roll!!!!!
Once again, you all forgot the winner... Perfect Drift. When will you learn?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Flemington

Wow,I can see that both of these horses are at the very top of their game.There are a whole lot of folks that don't like where Lava Man comes from,and are simply showing their bias.Bernardini is a terrific horse,but he is not gunna just stroll by this animal.How Bernadini reacts to that is anybody's guess.Lava Man appears to be a very willing,and smart competitor with a burst he can call on at any time.Bernadini is the more graceful smooth and easy one.I think Lava Man will make his move,and Castellano will unleash Bernadini,and I really don't know if Lava Man gets passed.I don't know how people can seem so sure one way or the other about that.If Bernadini can handle a nose to nose fight,then he probably will get by.We just don't know what's going to happen when Bernadini gets hooked on the turn(and he will indeed get hooked up with this horse.)
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarolinaTony

NC Tony
This is what I see also. Hope Im wrong and he gives Bernardini all he can handle so we will be able to see both horses at their best.