Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Showing Up doubtful for BC

From Bloodhorse:

Roy and Gretchen Jackson's Showing Up, who finished a solid third the Sept. 9 Man o'War Stakes (gr. IT) , will make his next start in Saturday's $200,000 Jamaica Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds at Belmont Park, and likely will skip the Breeders' Cup World Championships, trainer Barclay Tagg said Monday.

"I just think the Breeders' Cup is too tough right now," Tagg said. "Of course, if he wins the Jamaica impressively, the owners could change their mind and go the Breeders' Cup, but they usually leave those decisions up to me.

"He's just a 3-year-old, and I don't want to get greedy. If he had won the Man o'War, we would have considered the Breeders' Cup, but finishing third is not going to do him any good. And if we ran in the mile and a half race (John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf -- gr. IT) it could knock him out for a while. My experience tells me that it's not the right thing to do. If he wins the Jamaica, we could run him in the Hollywood Derby (gr. IT), and then have a strong horse for next year."

Good for Tagg. (I bet he wishes Sackatoga would leave more decisions up to him, too.)
Old 10-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Coach Pants

Good call by the connections.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Good call by the connections.
Yep good call.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
top predator.

tagg defines class...he always wants to do right by his horse. Good decision probably...they plan to run him next year right?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
tagg defines class...he always wants to do right by his horse. Good decision probably...they plan to run him next year right?
Too bad you cant say the same for Sackatoga
Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Too bad you cant say the same for Sackatoga
who? the pubilicity whores on the bus?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Coach Pants

Didn't the short fat one dance while holding an umbrella at the Belmont? Or am I mistaking him for one of the parade goers down at mardi gras?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
who? the pubilicity whores on the bus?
Yes, them.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Turf Paradise

Judging by the nominations the Jamaica looks like it might be a very nice race. Although I hope Tagg prevails should Showing Up win; I can't see how a good effort at a mile and an eighth against 3 year olds will do anything to prove he can be even slightly competitive in the BC at a mile and a half...
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Yeah, it sounded from the article like they absolutely plan to run him next year and that's one of the reasons Tagg doesn't want to run him in the BC as a three-year-old. Fingers crossed we can look forward to seeing him there in 2007!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Fairgrounds

As it stands right now... he's won some nice ones, but not a big big big one that could really drive up his stud fee. So barring injury, we should be confident he'll be back '07. Then again, the Jackson are breeders, so maybe they don't need the patience. I think Tagg is making a good move here.

It is kinda ironic that a lot of us think in terms of the Sackatoga boys, is the one decision we think they should make is getting rid of Tagg. Not necessarily because he's a bad trainer (I think he's a good trainer, and he holds his own in NY which says something), but just to try a different direction, a diffent way of training Funny Cide since they refuse to retire him.

So Tagg is definately making the right move here with Showing Up, and I hope he does well on Sat... as for Sackatoga, if they wanna drag out a career on a horse, they should retire FC and buy Perfect Drift lol. That horse will be running in alowance races, still mixin it up at age 12 lol.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr
As it stands right now... he's won some nice ones, but not a big big big one that could really drive up his stud fee. So barring injury, we should be confident he'll be back '07. Then again, the Jackson are breeders, so maybe they don't need the patience. I think Tagg is making a good move here.

It is kinda ironic that a lot of us think in terms of the Sackatoga boys, is the one decision we think they should make is getting rid of Tagg. Not necessarily because he's a bad trainer (I think he's a good trainer, and he holds his own in NY which says soemthing), but just to try a different direction, a diffent way of training Funny Cide since they refuse to retire him.

So Tagg is definately making the right move here with showing up, and I hope he does well on Sat... as for Sackatoga, if they wanna drag out a career on a horse, they should retire FC and buy Perfect Drift lol. That horse will be running in alowance races, still mixin it up at age 12 lol.
I dont think they need to get rid of Tagg. Tagg and Funny Cide need to get rid of Sacktoga.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Fairgrounds

I'm just sayin... a lot of people are thinking (seriously we've talked about this a million times over at ESPN in the past)... what's the only thing, if you're Sackatoga, that you haven't changed? If you're refusing to retire him- The last thing you haven't done is a trainer switch. Give the horse to Pletcher... that seems to be the En Vogue thing to do among owners these days anyway lol.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Santa Anita

FC is a competitive horse that likes to run. Why should he retire ? ANd the Showing Up strategy is right on. Why ruin a 3 yr old just to pad his resume for stud ?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Aqueduct

i really like Tagg and if i could ever get a horse esp a grass one i honestly think he is the one i would want to train them. Im happy to see this and look fwd to seeing the horse next year might be a good one next year
Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Fairgrounds

Sumitas,
I agree with Tagg's strategy for Showing Up. Some people earlier in this thread were ripping Sackatogas, so I was just putting in my 2 cents on that. As far as Showing Up goes, I agree with holding him out. Read my previous replies in this thread for my reasoning.

Wac,
Good point about Tagg being a good turf trainer. I 'spose you could go with Pletcher too. Your horse might get tons of TLC from his 6th asst lol.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Churchill Downs

What a classy guy! It's reasons like these that make him my favorite trainer.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr

It is kinda ironic that a lot of us think in terms of the Sackatoga boys, is the one decision we think they should make is getting rid of Tagg. Not necessarily because he's a bad trainer (I think he's a good trainer, and he holds his own in NY which says something), but just to try a different direction, a diffent way of training Funny Cide since they refuse to retire him.

So Tagg is definately making the right move here with Showing Up, and I hope he does well on Sat... as for Sackatoga, if they wanna drag out a career on a horse, they should retire FC and buy Perfect Drift lol. That horse will be running in alowance races, still mixin it up at age 12 lol.
He is not really ever going to be very valuable as a stallion. American turf horses rarely are and even a breeders cup win would not help that much.

The Hollywood Derby has been the target for Showing Up all along. He is not a 12f horse and he is not nearly fast enough to compete with the top milers in the world.

Showing Up is a very nice horse but as you can tell from Ivan's last race, Showing Up is a notch below the top horses in the world.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
oracle80

Glad to see you've come down to reality after challenging me earlier this year that he was better than English Channel, and you DID say that.
I guess that means you concede I was right and that he isn't. Thats cool. Good luck to him in his next start.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Morris Park

Before you knock Sakatoga, and I agree they have been a little aggressive, there is a strong possibility without their aggressiveness, Funny Cide might never have even been entered in the Wood and then the Derby. Tagg can be too conservative at times. That ownership and Tagg made a nice combo for that horse.