Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
Thanks for reminding me ... he finished fourth ...

... that makes a HUGE difference ... BERNARDINI SUCKS !!!
LOL, I don't think he does, but just wanted to clarify that tid bit of info.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

It's not like it can't be done though right? I'll name the few I know that could run with the older men. Cat Thief, Tiznow, Holy Bull I don't a whole lot more but it can and has been done in the past.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker7964
It's not like it can't be done though right? I'll name the few I know that could run with the older men. Cat Thief, Tiznow, Holy Bull I don't a whole lot more but it can and has been done in the past.
Yes it can ... yes it was ... yes it will be ... and ... yes it's beside the point.

This thread is about a handful of superhorses who had their best years as 4YOS ... and how naïve it is to compare even a great 3YO to the all-time greatest 4YOS when they were at their very best.

In those rare cases ... a 3YO to 3YO comparison is much more appropriate.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Churchill Downs

I really thought BB was being sarcastic at first, but BB is obviously blinded by the Bernardini love affair to recall the greatness of Slew and Bid. Nevermind Slew was undefeated through the Triple Crown. And Bid, well Bid won 6 G1 races at 3 by an average of 6 lengths, while setting track records. 10 of 12 as a sophomore for Bid, losing twice at Belmont, once with a pin in his foot, and the other a diminishing half length to the older Affirmed when Shoe let them steal it on the front end with a half in 49.

I know Bernardini looks fantastic. There is no question that he could be the real thing. But don't downgrade the greatness of others in trying to build up another.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
I really thought BB was being sarcastic at first, but BB is obviously blinded by the Bernardini love affair to recall the greatness of Slew and Bid. Nevermind Slew was undefeated through the Triple Crown. And Bid, well Bid won 6 G1 races at 3 by an average of 6 lengths, while setting track records. 10 of 12 as a sophomore for Bid, losing twice at Belmont, once with a pin in his foot, and the other a diminishing half length to the older Affirmed when Shoe let them steal it on the front end with a half in 49.

I know Bernardini looks fantastic. There is no question that he could be the real thing. But don't downgrade the greatness of others in trying to build up another.
I don't know how old you are ... but judging from your choice of site names ... you probably never saw Seattle Slew or Spectacular Bid race. I was immensely fortunate to see both of those great horses on many occasions ... and I've never "downgraded" their greatness ... in fact I've always vaunted them ... but ...

... please check their actual records ... and you'll see that neither of them ... especially Seattle Slew ... had a better campaign as a 3YO than Bernardini ... assuming Bernardini wins the BC Classic in a convincing manner.

Both Seattle Slew and Spectacular Bid had outstanding campaigns as 4YOS ... and that's what underscored their true greatness. To say that Bernardini ... through October of his 3YO year ... is not as good a 3YO as either of those two greats were ... is both silly and ignorant.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
As an apparent Seatlle Slew lover ...

... why aren't you bursting with pride over the spectacular success of his grandson ... Bernardini?

And his other grandson, the Lava Man
Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Bernardini was off the board in his first start.
Steve Haskin has a little story regarding that first start that I don't think he's written.

In late summer/early fall or so last year, Albertrani told Haskin that he had a terrific 2 year old he was working with that he thought was going to be special..

So Haskin sees Songster win his debut like a good thing and gets ahold of Albertrani: "I saw that 2 year old you told me to watch for.. He looked great!"...

Tom says, "That's not him... The good one was fourth in his debut the other day..."

Haskin: "Oh..OK.."

And then he forgot about it... Until he saw Bernardini's 2nd start...