Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2006, 11:26 AM
The Curragh

Default Who do you think is 3yr old the year now?

is there even still a doubt? does Barbaro still have a chance at it? Does winning the Classic matter at all for 3 yr old honors concerning Bernardini?

thoughts
Old 10-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Coach Pants

Lawyer Ron
Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Coach Pants

err wait I changed my mind.

Steppenwolfer
Old 10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Cunningham Racing

When you put the vote into the hands of journalists there is no telling what can happen...I know a few poeple who have votes who couldn't tell you who Seattle Slew was and they vote based on horses popular to their region....damn shame...

If there are any cuddly, warm-hearted journalists who want to vote for the story that has become Barbaro's - then yes, theoretically he could still get a lot of the sympathy vote. Reality (which is not a rational word with journalists) is that Barbaro should no longer be in consideration for 3YO of the year....Bernardini's credentials are just too good at this point and it would be grand theft if he doesn't win the Eclipse....
Old 10-08-2006, 11:34 AM
BellamyRd.

he's beaten older horses now!
guess it doesn't matter much
if they're any good
Old 10-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Churchill Downs

Bernardini should get the award. I'm also banking on Bernardini being horse of the year.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

I vote BERNADINI
Old 10-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
When you put the vote into the hands of journalists there is no telling what can happen...I know a few poeple who have votes who couldn't tell you who Seattle Slew was and they vote based on horses popular to their region....damn shame...

If there are any cuddly, warm-hearted journalists who want to vote for the story that has become Barbaro's - then yes, theoretically he could still get a lot of the sympathy vote. Reality (which is not a rational word with journalists) is that Barbaro should no longer be in consideration for 3YO of the year....Bernardini's credentials are just too good at this point and it would be grand theft if he doesn't win the Eclipse....
a vote for barbaro would be a sympathy vote? or would it be based on his performances up to the preakness? all wins. of course a tad of the vote might be based on him showing his true amount of guts by not throwing in the towel since his injury. yeah, pure sympathy there. i'm sure it wouldn't at all be based on the thought that had he continued running that bernardini might not have run the table since barbaros exit.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Jerome Park

I don't understand this debate. How can anyone suggest Barbaro deserves 3YO of the year over Bernardini? That's absurd and the poster who basically said anyone voting for Barbaro right now is doing it out of sympathy is 100% right. Hey, I actually was a bigger fan of Barbaro, and I'm not so sure he wouldn't have been at least a worthy opponent for Bernardini, but based on their resumes for the year it simply isn't close.

Who really cares about the eclipse awards anyway. Anyone that really follows the sport knows who the best horses are regardless of how the voting turns out. Didn't Pico Central not win sprinter of the year a couple years ago? That was ridiculous.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Newmarket

I also will never understand why so much debate occurs over which horse is more deserving of an Eclipse award. Who cares? Unless you're connected in some way to the horse that is.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I also will never understand why so much debate occurs over which horse is more deserving of an Eclipse award. Who cares? Unless you're connected in some way to the horse that is.
I'm not sure I agree; there is a cachet to being crowned a champion and I personally do love it when a favorite of mine wins an Eclipse. This particular debate is rather silly, though. There should be no debate - the 3 year old title has already been decided in Bernardini's favor. Only HOY is up for grabs.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Bold Reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscreetCat=Monster
I vote BERNADINI
Next time, please spell Bernie's name right.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, it means nothing to me... I have my favorite horses, sometimes they won, sometimes they didn't, but I could have cared less if they were HOY.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I second that emotion.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
I'm not sure I agree; there is a cachet to being crowned a champion and I personally do love it when a favorite of mine wins an Eclipse. This particular debate is rather silly, though. There should be no debate - the 3 year old title has already been decided in Bernardini's favor. Only HOY is up for grabs.
sure i agree that there should not be any debate about the 3yo title. its already in the bag.

but this is the kind of award where silly things that don't make sense can happen, thats why i don't get all the hubbub.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Sheepshead Bay

They should have an Eclipse Award for the bettors most valuable horse of the year...That would be great...

Here's mine for the last 2 years:

I was taking a beating in the Spring of 2005 at Keeneland, then I keyed Afleet Alex in a tri in the Ark Derby, got me some of my money back....

I was taking a beating in the Spring of 2006 at Keeneland, then I keyed Lawyer Ron in a Super in the Ark Derby, couldn't believe how much it payed and got me back to even...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:05 AM
The Curragh

a little part of me still believes Bernardini has to win BCC to win 3yr old of the year, Barbaro was the undefeated one who won the KY Derby and beat the best for the first half of the year.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscreetCat=Monster
I vote BERNADINI
If you are that big a fan, get the spelling right!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Fairgrounds

Just watching Bernardini's Preakness performance- I don't think a healthy Barbaro beats Bernardini on that day. Combo that with what he's done since. Bernardini should win it. A win in the BC Classic will cement that. If not it's gonna be close.

Another route, just like last year... I know this would never happen, but for convaersations sake: What if Bernardini somehow finished up the track in the BC Classic, and Henny Hughes wins the Sprint? I mean if LITF woulda won the sprint last year????
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 10-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Del Mar

Lawyer Ron

LOL! Thats a good one.