Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Santa Anita

LION TAMER! So thrilled.

I'm so happy for the Bakers, for the owner, Mr Bayly, and for Lion Tamer himself. He's such a lovely colt. When you're at the track and you see him walk past, it's so hard not to like him.

I really didn't think he could do it today. But when he went clear at the top of the straight, I got up off the couch and started yelling. My throat is completely wrecked now. Fantastic. What a win.

Also happy for Ginga Dude - fantastic G1 placing for him.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Arlington Park

Default Just One Question on My Mind...

Can he get the 3200 m Tues?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Santa Anita

I'm going to say no - especially if the track's wet, which will make it even more of a stamina test. I'll be leaving him out, but will be absolutely in awe of him if he wins!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Randwyck

So You Think Easily ..Zipping as my Roughie!!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Randwyck

Getty Images © Enlarge photo

Riders have been confirmed for all 24 runners in next Tuesday's $6m Emirates Melbourne Cup.

At Saturday evening's barrier draw, co-trainer Wayne Hawkes was able to reveal the engagement of Luke Nolen to partner Maluckyday.

Jim Cassidy had ridden the highly promising four-year-old to victory in the Lexus Stakes earlier in the day, but honoured a previous commitment to ride Once Were Wild for Gai Waterhouse.

Hawkes said the options amongst jockeys able to make Maluckyday's weight of 51kg were limited, but he was delighted to have secured Nolen's services.

"He was last season's premier jockey and he's winning on everything at the moment," he said.

Hong Kong-based Australian riders Darren Beadman and Brett Prebble will be flying in for Cup mounts on Tuesday.

Beadman, who has won the race for Bart Cummings on Saintly in 1996 and Kingston Rule in 1990, will this year ride Hong Kong galloper Mr Medici for trainer Peter Ho, whilst Prebble has the mount on Linton for Team Williams.

Prebble was intending to ride C'est La Guerre, but after the six-year-old gelding did not accept for the race after running poorly in the Mackinnon Stakes, the jockey switched to Linton after he unexpectedly gained a Cup start.

With the Goldolphin stable having finished with two Cup runners, international jockey Frankie Dettori has remained with his preferred mount Holberg, who had been in danger of missing a place in the field. Kerrin McEvoy takes the ride on Godolphin's other hope Campanologist.

After Chris Munce lost the ride on Caulfield Cup winner Descarado to Gai Waterhouse's first choice jockey Nash Rawiller, he has now been snapped up to ride 2008 runner-up Bauer for Luca Cumani. The English trainer has again trusted the ride on stablemate Manighar to Damien Oliver.

In Munce and Oliver, Cumani has chosen two Australian riders with Melbourne Cup winning experience, whereas Irish trainer Dermot Weld has pinned his faith in fellow countryman Pat Smullen to partner his mare Profound Beauty.

Weld has won the Melbourne Cup twice - once with an Irish rider and once with a local hoop. Irishman Mick Kinane rode Weld's pioneering winner Vintage Crop in 1993, whilst Damien Oliver was in the saddle for Media Puzzle's emotion-charged victory in 2002.

French jockey Gerald Mosse rode Mr Medici in the Caulfield Cup but sides with Americain in the Melbourne Cup after riding him to an impressive victory in the Geelong Cup.

Vlad Duric will be returning from Singapore to renew his association with Master O'Reilly, whilst New Zealand ace Michael Walker will have his first Melbourne Cup ride on Zavite.

Three-time Melbourne Cup hero Glen Boss will partner English horse Illustrious Blue, whilst last year's winning jockey Corey Brown will ride Shoot Out.

Michael Rodd could not make Shocking's light weight last year but will be aboard the five-year-old in his Cup defence on Tuesday.

Still recovering from illness, "Cups King" Bart Cummings has two runners for the 150th edition of the race, with Blake Shinn riding Precedence in the same colours that he carried to victory two years ago on Viewed.

But most eyes will be on Steven Arnold, also sporting the silks of owner Dato Tan Chin Nam, as he attempts to win his first Melbourne Cup and an incredible 13th for the legendary Cummings on race favourite So You Think.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
I'm going to say no - especially if the track's wet, which will make it even more of a stamina test. I'll be leaving him out, but will be absolutely in awe of him if he wins!
I kinda like Descardo out of many, 24 horse field. Wide open!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_idol View Post
So You Think Easily ..Zipping as my Roughie!!!!

Holy Mother of God!!

thud!!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Santa Anita

Even by a process of elimination I still end up with 12-15 runners. It's not fair.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Santa Anita

Just another quick comment on the VRC Derby winner. I noticed that a lot of experts have decided that Lion Tamer is a mudder. Don't fall into that trap. Definitely don't write him off in a big race on a dry track. His best performances here in NZ were on dry tracks, and he has a tremendous long-striding action that looks better suited to drier surfaces.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Arlington Park

Course is supposed to be a dead 6 for the big race, whoever wins will have to be a true stayer, the last 1 /4 mile will be testing.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Saratoga

Gooey...your nincompoops are lost without you.

Their posts are even dumber now.

Your return can't be soon enough.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Coach Pants

So You Think - Profound Beauty box
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
So You Think - Profound Beauty box
I think Profound will run huge despite the draw. Ill go with another filly Once Were Wild to fill out the exacta. I can't see So You Think staying

#Grand
Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Saratoga

I keep leaving out So You Think so decided to play him on top of one tri just because. (A tiny one).

I love Bauer but hes not stellar, gets hurt a lot. Pretty boy I wish him well.

Huge fan of both Monaco Consul and Harris Tweed. Have lost a small fortune on MC and with Harris... man I don't know but that recent colic attack... just makes me wonder. Concerned.

I am not a fan of American but need to use this one cause he looks good.

Illustrious Blue fell the other day... he's alright? He can get the distance but not impressed.

Campanologist is, lets just call him high strung and even with Kerrin... I don't know.

Descardo is like American... have never felt one way or another but dangerous. Not using him but a little afraid.

Zipping. My favorite horse in the field. Will use in 2nd spot erven though I have my doubts this time round.

Shootout and Shocking... very nice boys, not using.

Red Ruler and Master O... I am a fan. They are in over their heads.

Profound Beauty... pass. Nice horse but gotta take a stand somewhere and this one is tough.

Precedence... must use.

Manighar and Linton have 2 jocks who make me afraid not to use them although even Brett might not be able to help the latter one win.

Buccellati - out of form. Tokai Trick - not here. Holberg - ummm no. Lucky day, Zavite (sp) wild... not quite up to this level.

This leaves me with Mr. Medici.

Not the greatest representative of HK and believe it or not not sentimental.

I told someone else this on the forum... that going to Japan is different. You got to wear red and root cause they're, well... lets just say not as well respected as the locals.

Really though the track seems good for him, he was fine in the Caufield Cup (6th), nice post position, has Beadman...

Is he a better horse than So You Think? Wello no of course not.

I think it could be his day though so will play him over American, Precedence, Zipping, I guess Descardo.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind but as of right now I'll try to beat the wonderhorse (who is fantastic. Might he be a tad tired?).

Good luck everyone, come home safe kids and hey anyone know why Metal Bender isn't here?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
Even by a process of elimination I still end up with 12-15 runners. It's not fair.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy View Post
I think Profound will run huge despite the draw. Ill go with another filly Once Were Wild to fill out the exacta. I can't see So You Think staying
That's really the only question. If he can handle the distance this will be one for the ages.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Saratoga

Bauer is out...
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...up/784406/top/
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Saratoga

illustrious blue
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Santa Anita

Dermot Weld has just put me completely off Profound Beauty.

Im heavy on Once Were Wild, Mr. Medici, Holberg and Descarado now and Ive done exactas with So You Think underneath and So You Think over those 4 just in case he stays!!

#Grand
Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy View Post
Dermot Weld has just put me completely off Profound Beauty.

Im heavy on Once Were Wild, Mr. Medici, Holberg and Descarado now and Ive done exactas with So You Think underneath and So You Think over those 4 just in case he stays!!
People are taking things I'm saying the wrong way today so will preface this by saying RESPECTFULLY Brock why am I not seeing this one as even belonging in this field?

I mean he beat Hali once, beat Blue Monday (oh I liked him anyway ) once.... do you really think he can keep up with this field? He seems to be in way far over his head. To me anyway!

Good luck, hope you nail it.