Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Default Classy US Miler Set For Melbourne Carnival

From AAP:

Anyone know anything about this horse?

Wednesday, 30 August 2006: America is set to be represented at the Melbourne spring carnival after classy US-owned galloper Diamond Green was entered today for the premier 1600m races.

Racing Victoria Limited’s Acting Director of Racing Operations Leigh Jordon confirmed entries have been received for the six-year-old for the Group 1 Toorak Handicap (1600m) at Caulfield on October 14, the Group 2 Waterford Crystal Mile (1600m) at Moonee Valley on October 28 and the Group 1 Emirates Stakes (1600m) at Flemington on November 11.

Diamond Green is currently is prepared by legendary American trainer Bobby Frankel and owned by Bobby Trussell, a co-owner of prominent American stud Walmac Farm.

However Diamond Green will be transferred to an Australian trainer to oversee his Melbourne preparation.

Diamond Green will then remain in Australia over summer to prepare for the 2007 Asian Mile Challenge which has the Futurity Stakes (1600m) at Caulfield as the opening leg.

“They are bringing the horse to Melbourne as they believe he will be better suited to Australian conditions,” Jordon said.

“They are also keen to target next year’s Asian Mile Challenge with Diamond Green and their long-term aim is to stand the horse at stud.’

’Diamond Green is a stallion by Green Desert who has won four and been placed in a further nine of his 17 starts.

He started his career in France where he won the Group 3 Prix La Rochette (1400m) and finished second in three Group 1 events during his three-year-old season before continuing his career in the US.

Jordon said the presence of Diamond Green would be an unexpected, but welcome, bonus for the spring carnival.

“It is very pleasing to see even more interest in the spring carnival from the United States,” Jordon said.

“This can only be a good thing for the industry and hopefully it is a sign of things to come in the future.”
Old 08-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Saratoga

Ummm..... it's funny. I started a thread, on another forum, about him last May. It wasn't until this past may that there was any news at all.

Although i like him "classy US Miler" isn't exactly the way I'd describe him.

He was in the Coral-Eclipse, in the QE II that Rakti (applause ) won, in the BC Mile (year before last) where he didn't leave much of an impression.

He won his first start (or the first i was aware of) here in May but, ummm..... I believe that was his first win in quite a looooong time.

He ran in the Shoemaker and in something up at Woodbine..... third in the Fourstardave (5 horse field).

Interesting wording anyway and i wish him well although I won't be holding my breath.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Ummm..... it's funny. I started a thread, on another forum, about him last May. It wasn't until this past may that there was any news at all.

Although i like him "classy US Miler" isn't exactly the way I'd describe him.

He was in the Coral-Eclipse, in the QE II that Rakti (applause ) won, in the BC Mile (year before last) where he didn't leave much of an impression.

He won his first start (or the first i was aware of) here in May but, ummm..... I believe that was his first win in quite a looooong time.

He ran in the Shoemaker and in something up at Woodbine..... third in the Fourstardave (5 horse field).

Interesting wording anyway and i wish him well although I won't be holding my breath.
I don't think I would describe him as such either, usually they always talk of American horses coming down who aren't too good.

Earlier in the year, there was a big article about Nolan's Cat and Badge of Silver going to Australia for the spring carnival.

Nolan's Cat would be beaten by 25 lengths in the big races over there.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:56 AM
Saratoga

Okay that's too funny cause i swear to you i was thinking of that article when i read your original post, yet I couldn't remember the (mediocre) horse.....

Excerpt (s)...

US Owner Sets Sights On Melbourne Cup
Thursday, 27 April 2006:

High class US galloper Nolan's Cat will be set for this year's Melbourne Cup as part of an assault on Australian spring racing by flamboyant American owner Ken Ramsey.

Nolan's Cat, a four-year-old son by Catienus, is a proven G1 performer who was third in last year's G1 Belmont Stakes (2400m), final leg of the US Triple Crown for three-year-olds.

Nolan attracts a lot of press in America and his Melbourne Cup plans are certain to receive a lot of coverage in the US media, Jordan describing the owner as "a headline act".

High class galloper? Proven G1 performer? A lot of press?

Diamond Green IS a better horse, but..... well, best of luck to him as i think he'll need it.