Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Saratoga

Default Ouija Board to the Irish Champion Stakes

Just up on Racing Post.....

Ouija Board books ticket to Leopardstown after gallop

by Tony Elves

OUIJA BOARD is set to take her chance in the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on Saturday week after delighting trainer Ed Dunlop in her latest piece of work.

The six-time Group 1 winner was in action on the across-the-flat gallop on Racecourse Side on Tuesday morning and booked her place in the Baileys-sponsored 1m 2f event when working well with her lead under Jason Tate.

Dunlop said: “I was very happy with her work this morning and we are aiming towards Ireland - the ground in France looks like being very soft for thePrix Vermeille.”

The Cape Cross mare was ridden by Frankie Dettori when coming out best in a cliffhanger with Alexander Goldrun in the Nassau Stakes last time and had previously been partnered to success this season by Olivier Peslier in the Prince ofWales’s Stakes when beating Electrocutionist by half a length. No jockey plans have been finalised at this stage but Jamie Spencer, who is likely to be in action at Leopardstown that day, could well enter the equation after riding her in the past in someof her work this spring.

Dunlop added: “We don’t know who rides her at this stage - we will just have to see how plans unfold.”

Red Evie will bid to make it a perfect seven for the season in the Group 1 Matron Stakes on the same card.

The daughter of Intikhab has been ridden by Jamie Spencer in four of her six victories this term but Frankie Dettori came in for the ride when she maintained her sequence with a half length defeat of Makderah in the Group 3 Oak Tree Stakes at Goodwood last month.

The Terry Neill-owned filly will work again in the morning but connections are keen to have a crack at the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus- sponsored event. Trainer Michael Bell said: “She is in very good form and the season’s gone like clockwork for her. She is not the most exciting worker but does it on the track and the Matron would be the plan.”

Red Evie could clash with Soviet Song, who was beaten about three lengths when fifth of six to Caradak in the Celebration Mile at Goodwood.

Contrary to reports that the mare could be retired if not pleasing James Fanshawe in her work later this week, the trainer said: “She’s fine after the race - absolutely fine and has got various options. I am keen to run her again and provided I am happy with her she could run in either the Matron Stakes or the Sun Chariot Stakes at Newmarket.”

Also set for the race is the Mick Channon-trained Flashy Wings who has had a break since finishing second in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot. The trainer said:"It took a while for her blood to get right but she's going well and worked great this morning. What we want is some genuine good ground for her.

"She'll have another bit of work next week which should put her spot on for the Matron."
Old 08-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Newmarket

Good News, can't wait to see her in action again. That Nassau Stakes finish when she nosed out Alexander Goldrun was thrilling.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
5'8".. but all man!

if you can't enjoy watching and rooting for Oujia Board....something is seriously wrong. She is as game as they come.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Saratoga

Dylan Thomas likely.....
Old 09-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Saratoga

Spencer got the mount on Ouija Board.....

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...ING_Board.html
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 PM
six perfections

I love Jamie Spencer!
Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by six perfections
I love Jamie Spencer!
This is the part where i keep my mouth shut and hope Johannesburg logs on and says something witty.....
Old 09-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Saratoga

From Racing post...

Hurricane changes course

by Rodney Masters

ANDRE FABRE blindsided the racing world on Friday when revealing that Hurricane Run may change course and take on Ouija Board in the Irish Champion Stakes a week on Saturday, provided there is some cut in the ground at Leopardstown.

The 2005 world champion racehorse was expected to have a traditional local prep for his attempt to record back-to-back wins in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe with an appearance in the Prix Foy.

However, that target would force a clash with stable companion and Coronation Cup winner Shirocco, and the Baileys-sponsored prize now features as a possible target.

“The Irish Champion is an option for Hurricane Run,” Fabre said on Friday.
“The distance of ten furlongs is short of his best, and for that reason I’d be looking for some ease in the ground to make the race more of a test of stamina.

“We’ll monitor the state of the ground and the likely strength of the opposition before making a decision.”

Asked if he was concerned by the likelihood of a tougher race than perhaps ideal for Hurricane Run ahead of the Arc, should the colt square up to Ouija Board and Alexander Goldrun in Ireland, Fabre said: “That may be the case, it’s true, but the Irish Champion is a very valuable and prestigious race in its own right, whereas the Foy is a prep for the Arc. “However, it wouldn’t concern me if he and Shirocco ran in the Foy. After all, they both ran in the Arc last season, and they’ll both be running in the race this year.”

The Michael Tabor-owned Hurricane Run is unbeaten in two visits to Ireland.
He won the 2005 Budweiser Irish Derby, and, in May this year, made a successful return to the Curragh in the Tattersalls Gold Cup. The latter was run on soft ground over 1m21/2f.

Tabor is part-owner of this year’s Irish Derby winner Dylan Thomas, who wasexpected to run in the Irish Champion until yesterday’s announcement from Fabre muddied the waters. It is not anticipated that both horses would run at Leopardstown.

Aidan O’Brien, who trains Dylan Thomas, said on Friday: “As of now we are working towards running Dylan Thomas in the Irish Champion Stakes, but he has a couple more bits of work to do and a final decision will be made by the middle of next week.

"He has come on very well since York and we're very happy with him. Obviously he wouldn't want the ground at Leopardstown to go soft."

Betting on the Irish Champion is bound to be shaken up by Fabre’s comments.
Stan James on Friday trimmed their ante-post favourite, Ouija Board, to 2-1 (from 9-4) ahead of Dylan Thomas, cut to 3-1 (from7-2).
Old 09-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Santa Anita

makes things interesting now.. a top class win over 10f certainly adds to his resume... now if only deep impact reroutes as well...

#Grand
Old 09-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
makes things interesting now.. a top class win over 10f certainly adds to his resume... now if only deep impact reroutes as well...
are you implying that Deep Impact could possibly also try this one?

what plans do they have for him anyway? do they have a particular prep in mind for him?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
are you implying that Deep Impact could possibly also try this one?

what plans do they have for him anyway? do they have a particular prep in mind for him?

straight to arc i believe.. strange because hearts cry looked just shy of fitness in the king george having last run in dubai in march.. Deep Impact is doing the same thing in a much harder race!

#Grand
Old 09-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
straight to arc i believe.. strange because hearts cry looked just shy of fitness in the king george having last run in dubai in march.. Deep Impact is doing the same thing in a much harder race!
that's bothering me also, i'm pulling for this guy but how do you just waltz over there and train up to that race? i hope they know what they're doing.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
that's bothering me also, i'm pulling for this guy but how do you just waltz over there and train up to that race? i hope they know what they're doing.

my thoughts exactly, horses like him dont come around that often and when they try something like this, you want everything to be as perfect as possible. Id hate for them after the race to say that he wasnt fully fit. I remember when El Condor Pasa tried to do it in 99, he nearly pulled it off but for a fantastic finish by Montjeu. He though, came over in the early part of the season and was fully aclimatised by Arc time...

#Grand
Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
my thoughts exactly, horses like him dont come around that often and when they try something like this, you want everything to be as perfect as possible. Id hate for them after the race to say that he wasnt fully fit. I remember when El Condor Pasa tried to do it in 99, he nearly pulled it off but for a fantastic finish by Montjeu. He though, came over in the early part of the season and was fully aclimatised by Arc time...
i'm with you on that, i'd really love for him to pull it off but would feel better with a prep. that way they could fine tune things if necessary and he has the chance to gain necessary fitness. this is a new ballgame for him against the best he's ever faced.

you're right, after the arc i don't want to here any excuses about fitness or preps or of not being acclimated.

wow, just talking about it is starting to get me excited!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:03 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
if you can't enjoy watching and rooting for Oujia Board....something is seriously wrong. She is as game as they come.
Exactly, GPK! Not to mention that her connections are fearless, too.

--Dunbar
Old 09-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Saratoga

From Sporting Life.....

HURRICANE AND OUIJA AMONG CHAMPION NINE
By Anita Chambers, PA Sport

Hurricane Run and Ouija Board are set for a fascinating clash in Saturday's Baileys Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown.

The pair, winners of 10 Group One races between them, are among nine horses left in the 10-furlong contest at the five-day stage.

Hurricane Run, who is trained by Andre Fabre, has not run since his success in the King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes at Ascot in July.

Ed Dunlop's stable star Ouija Board will come into the race on the back of a thrilling success over Alexander Goldrun in the Nassau Stakes at Goodwood.

The latter could reoppose here, although trainer Jim Bolger has also left the globe-trotting mare in the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes on the same card.

Aidan O'Brien has three possibles in Juddmonte International disappointment Dylan Thomas, Ace and Sunday's Moulin fourth Aussie Rules.

Sir Michael Stoute could send Celebration Mile last Rob Roy while Kevin Prendergast could step Mustameet up to Group One level for the first time as he chases a five-timer in the big race.

Likely outsider Lord Admiral completes the possibles for Charles O'Brien.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
pgardn

Gosh this filly runs a whole bunch. Made of steel. Its not like she has been in easy races lately. I hope the connections know her well.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Gosh this filly runs a whole bunch. Made of steel. Its not like she has been in easy races lately. I hope the connections know her well.
just had a quick look, 7th race since 25th March, she does seem to take her races well. I have a feeling she could take Hurricane over this distance, though Alexander Goldrun might beat them all!

#Grand
Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
though Alexander Goldrun might beat them all!
Much as i love half the (potential) field, that's what I've been thinking all day.

Just up on Racing Post.....

Weather could change Hurricane's course again

by Jon Lees and Tony O'Hehir

HURRICANE RUN could yet stay in France to run in the Prix Foy on Sunday rather than contest the Baileys Irish Champion Stakes on Saturday, said his trainer Andre Fabre on Monday, voicing concern over ground conditions at Leopardstown.

“I’ve not yet decided,” said Fabre on Monday when ask if his superstar performer was an intended runner. Hurricane Run, winner of the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes at Ascot in July, was one of nine possibles left in the 10f contest along with Ouija Board, Alexander Goldrun and Dylan Thomas.

Fabre said: “It all depends on the weather conditions. The forecast is not very clear. There seems to be some rain about and some good weather – I’d like some rain to give us soft ground. If not, we’ll go to Longchamp.

“He won on good ground at Ascot, but soft ground will make the race longer. I’ll have to decide soon and am waiting for contacts with the owners.

“Shirocco is running in the Prix Foy and I don’t mind running the two if I have to. Rail Link is running in the Prix Niel and he’s a possible for the Arc as well.”

Dylan Thomas, the Budweiser Irish Derby winner who disappointed when fourth in the Juddmonte International at York last month, is one of three Aidan O'Brien-trained acceptors, although his participation is also in the balance.

Plans for Hurricane Run could influence whether Dylan Thomas will be in the line-up, although the likelihood of good ground at Leopardstown will strengthen the case for the Ballydoyle colt being allowed take his chance. O'Brien, who also left in Ace and Aussie Rules, said yesterday: “Nothing has really changed regarding Dylan Thomas and the Irish Champion Stakes. We will wait and make a decision in the next couple of days.

"Ace is an intended runner, while Aussie Rules was left in as he didn’t have a really hard race in the Prix du Moulin on Sunday. A decision about him running will be made on Thursday morning."

The ground at Leopardstown was described as good on Monday. Some rain was forecast for Monday night and Tuesday, with mainly dry weather expected for the rest of the week.

Leopardstown’s manager, Tom Burke, said: "If the forecast proves accurate I would expect the ground to be good for Saturday."

The home challenge is also likely to include five-time Group 1 winner Alexander Goldrun, who is also an acceptor for the Group 1 Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes on the same card.

Kevin Prendergast yesterday confirmed that Mustameet, the winner of three Listed races, the Group 3 International Stakes and the Group 2 Royal Whip Stakes this season, will be stepping up to Group 1 level for the first time in Saturday's big race.

The Charles O'Brien-trained Lord Admiral, a 200-1 shot with Cashmans, is also entered for the Group 3 Kilternan Stakes on the same card.

IRISH CHAMPION STAKES
William Hill: 11-10 (with a run) Hurricane Run, 9-4 Ouija Board, 3 Dylan Thomas, 4 Alexander Goldrun, 10 Mustameet, 12 Ace, 20 Rob Roy, Aussie Rules, 50 Lord Admiral
Old 09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Saratoga

If the ground isn't right, Ouija Board is out.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...ING_Board.html